Is this AVR-Speaker Combo right?

Unregistered guest
I am planning a 5.1/7.1 HT setup.

The AVR (Onkyo TX-SR503) - 130W/ch, continuous 6 ohms
Speakers (Sonodyne Genie-2) - 80W, 8 ohms

Will this combo affect the speakers? will it overload the speakers? shud i go for more powerful speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 781
If those are the speakers you want there should be no problem. Underpowered speakers are far more a problem than having too much power. Just remember to back off on the volume if the speakers start to audibly distort.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
thanx gregory.
u said "Underpowered speakers are far more a problem than having too much power"
so, isnt the sonodyne speakers I am goin' for underpowered?
will the Onkyo actually give 130W as it specifies?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2665
Speakers don't have power. Gregory meant underpowering speakers can cause problems. Your Sonodyne speakers (per their website) are able to handle 60 watts continuous and 85 watts short term. Your Onkyo receiver is supposed to be able to deliver 130 watts per channel which is more than enough power for the Sonodynes. However Onkyo receivers don't deliver that much real world current to all channels driven simultaneously. Simply put the Onkyo receiver delivers enough power to not cause any problems due to underpowering. Remember "speakers ain't got no watts" amplifiers do. The wattage rating on speakers has to do with how much power they can handle not how much they have.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
that was really helpful...
so Sonodyne Genie-2 handles 60W continuous and 85W short term and the Onkyo AV receiver pumps out around 130W/channel (mebbe around 110W)

So I can go for the Onkyo-Sonodyne combo, right? All I have to be careful is to keep the volume in limits?

the hall in my house is small. So I wudnt be blasting muzik.
What is the average/normal wattage in which people listen to songs/movies at home?
my hall is around 240 square feet....so how much wattage output wud be good,decent sound?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1161
juggy,

When listening to music, most of the time people are using between 5 and 10 watts total. Occasionally, it'll spike to 40 watts for a crescendo or suddenly loud bit. It's only if the speakers are difficult to drive (which yours are not) that power requirements could rise.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 788
Any particular reason you are set on Sonodyne speakers? What is your speaker budget and how many speakers are you getting?

Everyone with a system has to be careful with volume to keep the speakers from distorting too much. I am far more concerned about the speakers than the receiver. The Onkyo will drive lots of good 6-8 ohm speakers.

There really is no average wattage for normal listening, although for background music most people probably use no more than 1-20 watts on reasonably sensitive speakers. It depends greatly on the room size, the loudness you listen to music, and mostly the sensitivity of the speakers.

The sound you get will greatly be determined on your speakers and your room acoustics. I always recommend getting the best speakers you can afford if you are really interested in good performance. Also using rugs, tapestries, curtains, etc. for taming the acoustics in a too lively room.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
Thanx Frank & Greg.

I chose Sonodyne mainly coz of their pure quality sound, and easily accessible service centers. I had been to their "listening room" and it was just amazing. Plus the customer service was really good.
The price is also very nominal, compared to the other speakers (sats) of the same range.

Greg, do u have any recommendations on other sats/sub I shud go for??

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 790
Aren't they manufactured in India? I never heard them before, nor do I know what they cost.But if you like them, that is all that is important.

Bronze Member
Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 11
Good Golly, Miss Molly!!!!! I have never heard of this speaker company, Sonodyne, before. Someone, tell me. How good are Sonodyne speakers? Do they have a good amount of bass? And how much do they cost?

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
Check out www.sonodyne.com.
Really good speakers.
their subwoofer - Roarr 2815 is excellent.
Manufactured in India.
Very reasonably priced in India. Around Rs.50,000 for the Genie-2 package with subwoofer.

Unregistered guest
sonodyne speakers are great.i have another high end model of theirs,called the avant,way better than most other expensive hi fi companies.they are like one of those research oriented guys doing a great job.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us