Archive through October 15, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5695

Singapore and Katrina

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Singapore

There is something troublingly self-indulgent and slothful about America today - something that Katrina highlighted and that people who live in countries where the laws of gravity still apply really noticed. It has rattled them - like watching a parent melt down.

That is certainly the sense I got after observing the Katrina debacle from half a world away here in Singapore - a city-state that, if it believes in anything, believes in good governance. It may roll up the sidewalks pretty early here, and it may even fine you if you spit out your gum, but if you had to choose anywhere in Asia you would want to be caught in a typhoon, it would be Singapore. Trust me, the head of Civil Defense here is not simply someone's college roommate.

Indeed, Singapore believes so strongly that you have to get the best-qualified and least-corruptible people you can into senior positions in the government, judiciary and civil service that its pays its prime minister a salary of $1.1 million a year. It pays its cabinet ministers and Supreme Court justices just under $1 million a year, and pays judges and senior civil servants handsomely down the line.

From Singapore's early years, good governance mattered because the ruling party was in a struggle for the people's hearts and minds with the Communists, who were perceived to be both noncorrupt and caring - so the state had to be the same and more.

Even after the Communists faded, Singapore maintained a tradition of good governance because as a country of only four million people with no natural resources, it had to live by its wits. It needed to run its economy and schools in a way that would extract the maximum from each citizen, which is how four million people built reserves of $100 billion.

"In the areas that are critical to our survival, like Defense, Finance and the Ministry of Home Affairs, we look for the best talent," said Kishore Mahbubani, dean of the Lee Kwan Yew School of Public Policy. "You lose New Orleans, and you have 100 other cities just like it. But we're a city-state. We lose Singapore and there is nothing else. ... [So] the standards of discipline are very high. There is a very high degree of accountability in Singapore."

When a subway tunnel under construction collapsed here in April 2004 and four workers were killed, a government inquiry concluded that top executives of the contracting company should be either fined or jailed.

The discipline that the cold war imposed on America, by contrast, seems to have faded. Last year, we cut the National Science Foundation budget, while indulging absurd creationist theories in our schools and passing pork-laden energy and transportation bills in the middle of an energy crisis.

We let the families of the victims of 9/11 redesign our intelligence organizations, and our president and Congress held a midnight session about the health care of one woman, Terri Schiavo, while ignoring the health crisis of 40 million uninsured. Our economy seems to be fueled lately by either suing each other or selling each other houses. Our government launched a war in Iraq without any real plan for the morning after, and it cut taxes in the middle of that war, ensuring that future generations would get the bill.

Speaking of Katrina, Sumiko Tan, a columnist for the Sunday edition of The Straits Times in Singapore, wrote: "We were shocked at what we saw. Death and destruction from natural disaster is par for the course. But the pictures of dead people left uncollected on the streets, armed looters ransacking shops, survivors desperate to be rescued, racial divisions - these were truly out of sync with what we'd imagined the land of the free to be, even if we had encountered homelessness and violence on visits there. ... If America becomes so unglued when bad things happen in its own backyard, how can it fulfill its role as leader of the world?"

Janadas Devan, a Straits Times columnist, tried to explain to his Asian readers how the U.S. is changing. "Today's conservatives," he wrote, "differ in one crucial aspect from yesterday's conservatives: the latter believed in small government, but believed, too, that a country ought to pay for all the government that it needed.

"The former believe in no government, and therefore conclude that there is no need for a country to pay for even the government that it does have. ... [But] it is not only government that doesn't show up when government is starved of resources and leached of all its meaning. Community doesn't show up either, sacrifice doesn't show up, pulling together doesn't show up, 'we're all in this together' doesn't show up."

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5696

Families at the Bottom

To the Editor:

Re "Broken Yardstick" (Op-Ed, Sept. 9):

Nicholas Eberstadt, after writing that the spending of the bottom fifth of Americans was more than double its income, writes, "Unfortunately, economists and statisticians have yet to come up with a clear explanation for this gap."

The simple explanation for this statistic is that lower income Americans must increasingly go into debt just to meet essential needs.

"Fixed costs" - mortgages, child care, health insurance, vehicles and taxes - now take up 75 percent of today's average two-income family, compared with 50 percent in the early 1970's.

Families in the bottom fifth, without access to traditional banks, must turn to the predatory lenders of the fringe economy to make ends meet, and a large percentage of their expenditures serve only to finance their debts.

It is becoming increasingly expensive to be poor in America.

Howard Karger
Houston, Sept. 12, 2005

The writer is a professor of social policy at the University of Houston.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5697

Thank you for your indulgence.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5702

http://www.workingforchange.com/printitem.cfm?itemid=19593

Art, now that's funny!

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2680
WHAT'S WITH THIS DON'T READ THIS NONSENSE!
EVERYONE GETS THE EMAILS SO THEY ARE READ!
AND THEY ARE IN A PUBLIC FORUM!

(The other posts with different names were not me)

FRIENDS HAVE ASKED NOT TO DISCUSS POLITICS BUT OTHERS THAT WERE CONSIDERED FRIENDS
CHOSE TO IGNORE THE WISHES OF OTHERS. THAT IS DIFFERENT THEN DISCUSSING A TRAGEDY!

WE ALL KNOW THE RIGHT THINGS WERE NOT DONE AND NO ONE EVER SAID THE PRESIDENT
AND HIS CONSTITUINTS WERE NOT WRONG IN HOW THEY HANDLED THINGS MOST JUST THOUGHT
WE SHOULD NOT LAY BLAME AND ECSPECIALY PLAY THE BLAME GAME WHILE THE THING WAS HAPPENING.

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT THE PRESIDENT TO SAY EVEN IF HE HAD TRIED TO DO THE RIGHT
THING, HE IS THE PRESIDENT HE HAS TO SAY HE WAS RESPONSABLE IT'S BASICALLY HIS DUTY!
(you take that as being right, sheesh, you need acknowlagement that bad)

ON THAT NOTE MY NAME IS BEING REMOVED FROM THIS FORUM AND I WILL NO LONGER GET
EMAILS SO YOU IDIOTS CAN GO ON AND UPSET AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU LIKE AND CONTINUE
TO DO THINGS OTHERS HAVE ASKED NOT TO BE DONE. IT IS OF THE ASKING A FRIEND NOT TO DO
SOMETHING BUT INSTEAD MANY STAMPEED OVER THEM AND DON'T CARE THAT OTHERS HAVE
ASKED FOR IT NOT TO BE DONE, BUT NO JUST HAD TO DO IT ANYWAY! REGARDLESS OF OTHERS
AS LONG AS IT WAS GOOD FOR YOU AND WHAT YOU WANTED THEN IT'S FINE! YAH GOOD ONE!

SEE YU!

GOODBY!

TO THE PEOPLE I WILL MISS IT'S BEEN A LONG ENTERTAINING JOURNEY! HAVE A GOOD ONE.
(and yes that means people who I have disagreed with also)

I hope that discussing politics amungst yourselves was worth loosing many good people.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5703

Jeesh! If Kegger were still on the forum, I'd remind him he's the one who posted "Viva la Bush" after I had posted "Shall we call it quits?"

I guess he'll never know.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 298
I think the most important thing to remember is that this thread has barely been about audio for a long, long time. I am 100% sure that some of the complainers here were large contributors to that. If it didn't bother you then, why does it now?

John,

They wasted a bunch of time having congressional hearings over Janet. Time that could have been spent analyzing things like the saftey of our major levy's. Both parties were involved.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5704

Ben, Ben, Ben! Don't you get it? It's because we're obviously physically forcing them to read this stuff. It's my fault they can't stop reading.

nutegingrich
Unregistered guest
Wasn't keggers comment made as a joke.
And by the way his remark was made well after the question was asked "Shall we call it quits?" and several had posted even more on the subject still.

So he does not need to take responsability for his actions as others on this forum don't seem to for there part in what has happened on this thread.
No big deal to them I guess that most who were here are gone.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5708

Terrific!!!

Someone has finally noticed people other than me are posting on this thread. It's just that you're forgetting it was only John S. who posted anything significant. And I, acting as the designated liberal, had invited his remarks. So I feel he was justified in responding to my invitation. Don't you think?

And Kegger had said "Yep" when I asked "Shall we call it quits". So why would he then respond with "Viva la Bush", if he wanted to call it quits also? This thread would seem to have become a self perpetuating response. I have to say, that is what has made Old Dogs so interesting over the time we've been here. Don't you think?

Sorry, I didn't notice you were another unregistered guest. Dang, they're coming out of the woodwork!

Well!

I for one find it especially promising that Old Dogs has attracted a new set of listeners. Always room in the kennel! I only hope you guys are in that all important 18-45 year old age demographic.

Old Dogs have a way of finding their home. If someone feeds tham a bone somewhere else and they decide to settle down there, that is their choice. Old Dogs will be here if they wander back.

Username: Van_jigne

Post Number: 2
To the trained eye, you are now a pack of one, and in desperate need of your rabies shot.

It seems I am registered. You started out on this forum as an unregistered guest. Didn't you?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1650
Apparently Jan you can't let it go. You show a very basic misunderstanding of my posts and that's ok. I have tried to clear it up but all you want to do is argue and that's ok too. I too can post propaganda from the opposite side all day but my point was made when I posted the first piece. There are always multiple sides to any issue. Interestingly the perspective I'm getting from the self evacuees that I'm am meeting with differs greatly from either of ours. In the end how we feel about these issues only matters to us and the folks we love.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5709

Shall we call it quits?

Username: Aab

Post Number: 1

I would like to know where the opposite side of the middle of the road is.

Post Number: 3
Shall we call it quits?

That's rich.

Many asked you to do just that long before it reached this point. You chose to ignore, bully, and resorted to what could be construed as defamation of character to at least one of your so called friends.

Shall we call it quits?

Too late.

I have been observing for a very long time. I will expose you for exactly what you are dear boy.

Time to look in the mirror.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1651
To Jan...Yep that's ok with me. Thanks for asking.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5711

OK, Art, I'm fine with that. We disagreed and we're over it.

Now, Mr. "time to look in the mirror", since you won't let this go until you feel you've defeated me, or eventually stomped off the forum again ... Show me where I committed "defamation of character".

Better yet, show me where I am wrong! That's all I've ever asked. Make this about what I said, not about me. You aren't posting a reasonable reply to anything I've said. All you've done is rail at me personally. Is that what makes you feel good? Don't you realize you're wasting a lot of energy here?

Is there a full moon coming up?

I do think we've gone past the point where the term "friends" no longer applies in too many cases. Once this whole thing became about me (which was immediately) and not the situation in the United States, my "friends" seemed to drop off rather quickly. I said it is a shame people can't be friends even though they disagree. I made it plain if you didn't like what I posted, you shouldn't read it. I've asked if everyone wants to call a halt to this several times. Every time I ask, someone insists they want to carry on beating me up. This really is amounting to a perversion with you, guy. You're not honest about what I tell you has happened in this country even when Bush tip toes up to the point of taking responsibility. You're not honest about why I am the one person you constantly go after. And you won't let it go.

In the words of a leader(?) far less sane than I, "Bring it on!" All I ask is that you have the balls to use your real name and not hide behind some facade. I have to hand it to Art, he's the only one of you guys (who are so furious at me you can't see the lunacy of your own posts) with the guts to stand here with his real name showing. That's really poor, guys. Get some cahones. Come on and step up to the plate like real men.

Or

Shall we call it quits?

Feduptotheeyeballs
Unregistered guest
So says the master of the forum who was unregistered poster for longer than he has been a registered poster.

He is also under the assumption that registered posters use their real names (John A, Kegger, My Rantz, Two Cents, Sem, John S, Simply MacIntosh, Devils Advocate, etc). What a crock Mr Vigne.

I agree with Kegger in that this has never been about who was right and wrong in the debacle relating to the hurricane, but you are too thick to read what others have been saying: your obsessive/compulsive behaviour over-rides any sense of respect for others. It's as simple as that, Mr Vigne.

So okay, I vote to call it quits - but I wouldn't put money down that you will.

Cheers

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5712

How many squeaky little voices do you have going on in your head?

Post Number: 4
"Bring it on!"

In due time. On my terms. You like playing with peoples heads on an intillectual level. I have a degree in screwing with peoples heads. This is not about the hurricane. This is not about politics. This is about your odious behavior on this forum. It has gone on far too long.

nout
Unregistered guest
I have a degree in screwing with peoples heads.

Sounds pretty nasty to me...what are your skills? Lobotomy, brainwashing...do you work for the CIA? ;)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5713

So, I take you got nuthin' on that "defamation of character" stuff.

Please, go away. I cannot debate anyone who is a complete idiot and a coward at the same time. I'm just not in the mood for dealing with someone with those handicaps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299

http://www.venganza.org/

Post Number: 5
You don't get to ask the questions here. I do. Would you like to lie down first. Handicaps were going to be some of my first questions. I do have to abide by professional oaths and ethics.

Are you currently under a doctors care for mental disorders?

Are you home or bed confined for any physical ailment or disability?

I, unlike you, will not go after the weak or afflicted.

Did you have a happy childhood?

Did you ever marry or have children?

Do you have gender issues?

Care to discuss the nuns now?

We will get to all of this Jan.

Did you not call one or more forum member a big0t? Is that not defamation of character? Is that not a case for slander? Or is it libel? Wrong profession, but get my point.

Idiot and coward. I don't think of you as either.
Are you looking for an emotional response? I don't get emotional. It clouds the judgement.

Is Jan Vigne your real name? I don't think so. Time will tell.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3761
Great link, Ben. Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
Long live the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

nutegingrich
Unregistered guest
Jan it has allways been about one thing and one thing only! POLITICS!

Don't try and spin anything here as you do try quite often!
It was never about YOU it was POLITICS and the fact many felt and feal very emotional
about there POLITICS and asked that this thread not have POLITICS talked on it. Got it?
That's it no more no less, no POLITICS! Yes you and others carry the torch for it and it
is/was upto you and others to do what some have asked and refrain from discussing POLITICS. HERE!
But you don't seem to care that others didn't want to see it on this thread and like the others
with you who engage in this you will not stop, that is what made the people mad who got mad and
fedup then left. Not anyones ideas that they don't agree with but the fact of POLITICS in general.
You do keep responding that people only want to shut you up and they are upset because you
are right about what you wrote, WRONG they are upset because of POLITICS being discussed!
You tell people don't read it and it won't bother them, unfortunatly that doesn't work, when you belong
to a thread you read that thread and even more intently when you have been following for some time.
If you were on a thread that you felt you belonged to would you not read pretty much every post you see.
How about threads were PAUL comes in and knocks small speakers do you not read and just ignore that.
If he posted "Hey Jan don't read this" would you really not read it? Cmon give people a little more credit then that.
Yes it does look like you start a lot of this and then others follow, so yes it's not just you but it does get stirred
by you quite often then others jump in and keep it going. So yes everyone needed to stop including you if
anyone had any real respect for others wishes. Not the wish to shut anyone up but the wish of no POLITICS!

Who cares who this is writing this so don't get all worked up about another anon person posting and how they
know what they know or that they are hiding. It doesn't matter what matters is what was said.

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Pirates are cool!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3762
Ben, really good. I never realised that the declining number of pirates caused global warming, either. We all have much to learn from the teachings of Flying Spaghetti Monster.

As regards the latest personality clash, I agree with nout.

Jan, please do not respond to "Van Jigne". If you do, he gets his reward. Attention. And returns with another alias, just in case anyone holds him accountable for anything previously written.

"I don't get emotional. It clouds the judgement." .... following "Who in the hell are you to tell us to register or what we should read? "

Same person? Probably.

Someone with other names on the forum? Probably.

Are any of these names known to us? Could be.

Someone with problems? Certainly.

"Sicktodeathofit" a.k.a. "Van Jigne":-

Have you posted on this forum before?

If "yes"; under which name or names?

You wrote: "Wandering away from audio topics is fine. Ignoring the wishes of contributors who believed they had built a level of friendship with certain individuals is not."

Which contributors do you have in mind?

Are you able to name them?

Why are they unable to complain, for themselves, that their wishes have been ignored?

Nutegingrich's_wife
Unregistered guest
"Why are they unable to complain, for themselves, that their wishes
have been ignored?"

Probably because they finally got so fed up they had to leave!
Just my guess.

Anonymous

Here are some appropriate forums for the pointless stuff so you guys can let off some steam elsewhere. Like you truly have a say.

http://www.politic.co.uk/

http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/forum/index.php

http://www.whistlestopper.com/forum/index.php?s=b00f329ce008e83044956adae69c36a4 &

http://www.itsallpolitics.com/

I remember when ecoustics was fun and informative.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5714

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

What a day! What a day.

I didn't even begin to think this would turn out this way.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

The Big O
Unregistered guest
And John A steps bravely into the fray
To keep the fire going for another long day
While his mentor Jan Vigne has left for a snooze
John A carries on, his worth he must prove

Cause he's workin' for the man, he's workin' for the man
Gotta lend him a hand, he's workin' for the man

Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
ooh ooh ooh ooh

'Night Johnboy

Nighty night Jan

:-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5717

Old Dogs surely won't be archived for a while now. OK, everybody who knows they're not crazy hold up your hand.

That's what I thought.

hahahahahahaha

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Kegger,

It's Newt.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5721

Newt's are kinda slimey looking.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 641
Wow! This is more entertaining than any of the lame reality shows on TV. Hey, that's an idea, an "Old Dogs" reality show. It's got drama, comedy, personality conflicts, bitchiness, etc. I'll pitch that idea to some folks I know in the Business. Are you guys in?

It seems like I've missed a lot of good episodes while I've been out doing summer stuff. I just want to send my best wishes to all of you, regardless of your political leanings.

Peace.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5727

I have no problem pontificating in public. Been doing it most of my life.

There I set you guys up. Who's going to take the bait first?

I just think it's going to be difficult for the general public with their "general public's IQ" to follow where and when these different personalities emerge from the recesses of some people's minds. Alfred Hitchcock did not do "reality", you know. This is scary stuff. This is sorta bordering on Jason territory.

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 289
Kegger,

It's Newt.

LOL! That's pretty funny, Ben. Sorry, Kegger, you know I luv ya! How did your fantasy football team do last week? Mine lost by 4 point - Damn Culpepper!

Ben James, Round 2 - Flying Spaghetti Monster. Brilliant! I'm interested in learning more about His Noodly Appendage. Ahem.

2C! Welcome back! Let's get Sem, Rantz, Larry, Don, Asimo, Rick and all the rest back too.

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 290
Of course, we'll need to figure out what the hell we can talk about. Any suggestions, Jan?

Silver Member

Post Number: 642
Hey, SM, great to see you're still around. I hope you're staying safe with Ophelia on your doorstep. What an apt name for a hurricane. Don't drown in her sorrow.

After dropping in, I'm going to have to drop out again for a few days as I run wild through the Colorado woods.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3763
Good to see the return of SimplyMcIntosh, Two Cents, and Sem. Sanity restored. Please, no-one post under the name "Flying Spaghetti Monster". Thanks again for that, Ben!

"Of course, we'll need to figure out what the hell we can talk about."

Well, Sem and I were just about to say a few final words before the topic of Katrina came up.

There's always surround-sound compared with stereo, for music. No takers....?

How about the iPod Nano...?

Here's an old doggish thought. Why is it that music seems to be listened to more and more by individuals, alone, over headphones? Or "earbuds"; whatever.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
can't bring the hi-fi setup to the gym

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 448
There's lots of articles about how these earbuds are ruining the hearing of our young 'uns.

You're an old dog if:
You wear flesh colored earplugs at a rock concert.

By the way, the Earth looks so small at this distance. Picture taken on the last shuttle mission.

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/JOHN%20S/images/earth.jpg

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
what????

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
ipod nano is nice looking, but it has less capacity than the 6gb mini. I rather have the mini.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5748

What? 1,000 songs in your pocket is not enough?

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Not whan I can have 1,500.

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
Not when I can have 1,500

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5751

From Molly Ivins - talkin' Texun:

it's an ill wind that blows nobody good, and Texas is standing right in the path

I ain't been this happy since the legs fell off Nell's hamster

I couldn't get a w-h-o-r-e a date on a troop train.

Everybody knows the Legislature is worthless as wet bread to begin with, and on school finance they looked like a rubber-nosed woodpecker in a petrified forest.

That's where the mule throwed Russell.

I got one wheel down and the axle draggin'.

Now, dog bite my buttons.

It ain't worked good so far -- in fact, we hung the wrong horse thief.

Get that money down here faster than small-town gossip.

That Molly Ivins; she's gotta way with words that's better'n apple pie an' ice cream at a church social.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3765
6 GB is about 10 CDs at original resolution.

On the BBC radio programme "CD Review" today there was a very good "Consumer Spot" on RCA Living Stereo SACD releases, with a number of clips. The recordings were from around 1955-65. The presenter had some interesting things to say on the subject. He said it was just possible to imagine some benefit of the center channel in the 3-channel recordings, but the main advantage was that the format took you much closer to the original master tapes, and it was good to appreciate that these are reference-quality recordings, even by the best standards today. There was one, "HiFi Fiedler" by the Boston Pops Orchestra, which was a released as a hi-fi stereo showcase in, I think, 1960, and it serves just as well today. The FM stereo broadcast was really impressive.

If anyone is interested, the full playlist is halfway down the page on...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/cdreview/pip/efmpx/
The on-line porgramme is on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio3/aod.shtml?radio3/cdreview

Let's not have the "Classical" discussion again - apologies to Ben, and others, who do not care for it. But the fact remains that the classical catalogues seem to be taking up SACD in a fairly big way, now. I do not know why that is. And, as in other genres, you can hear the difference, apparently, by listening to SACD versions of analogue recordings made forty or fifty years ago.

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
The record companies haven't found the magic formula that will make people rebuy their catalogs in another format. Hopefully SACD will grow and we will continue to see new titles. It doesn't help if Sony isn't putting out new titles. I don't even think they are pressing the Dylan SACD's anymore. It is a shame because SACDs sound great.

I think you will see the same thing happen with HDDVD and Blu-Ray.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5796

Hello everyone. Who all is here?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 513
I am, occasionally.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3767
And I am, partly.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1703
I almost replied to Ben's last post but then I would have been embarrassed because I am presently (slowly) rebuying my "Living Stereo" and "Living Presence" discs. I know, I am a sucker.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
RE:Ben's comment about SACD

With around 80 releases each month SACD seems to driving along quite well. My collection of Hi-res music is now around 100 titles, app 70/30 SACD/DVD-A.

Sony has recently added SACD compatabilty to Playstation 3, Denon I-Link 3 has been approved for use by SACD, and more lower end universal players are being released. Though Sony seems to have backed off somewhat on SACD production, their DSD workstations are in constant use for recording the format by many other labels.

DVD-A's are still being realeased, though titles may be diminished in their present format, sales might also be revitalized on the new DualDisc format - apparantly in the US sales have exceeded a couple of million even with the small number of titles available up to now. Personally, I think the DVD-A titles that include the CD version should be the way to go.

Here's an interesting item about where the these formats may be headed and how they might fit in with the consumers musical tastes (including MP3's):

http://www.superaudio-cd.com/news/newsitem.php?id=79

2 channel VS M-Channel

I have been listening to various 2 channel layers of my hi-res titles recently and while many are outstanding in sonic quality and make for a wonderful listening experience, none have moved me so much as to chose 2 channel over multi-channel. I keep going back to that wonderful, clean, spacious sound. And those titles recorded directly to DSD - well, they would have to go down as the all time superior audio experience no matter how many channels you prefer. Just my humble opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
The problem that I see is that SACD titles are scarce in the Billboad 200. I find this puzzling. Are there not enough pressing plants and studios with DSD?

Art,

As long as you are buying hybrid titles, you should be OK if the bottom falls out.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1710
Always hybrids. Classical labels are pressing a whole bunch of SACD's. Who really wants to hear Brittany Spears coming from multiple channels anyway. :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5811

Who really wants to hear Brittany Spears ... anyway?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
She probably isn't in the 200 (been busy). The Stones are, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
Enjoy the music in any format you like. Don't waste your energy worrying about the chicaneries of the electronics and recording industries. Live fully in the moment.

(btw her name is spelled Britney... for those of you who want to maintain credibility with the teen set.)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3768
I agree, 2c.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1718
With what part John the "Enjoy the music" part or the "credibility with the teen set" part..lol. Dadburnit I knew I was spelling her name wrong but I was too stubborn to look it up.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5818

Spelling whose name wrong?

Rantz
Unregistered guest
2C

"Enjoy the music in any format you like"

Why thankyou 2C, but do I sense you think that in this section about DVD-A and SACD such comments about the formats are not appropriate?

I aim to take your sage advice and enjoy the music in the formats I like just as I would expect you and anyone else to do also. If spreading the word and not listening to all the negativity helps to keep these formats alive and possibly enable them to gain popularity then by all means let Britney do what ever she likes from whatever number of channels she wishes and allow someone to live fully in that moment while I and hopefully everyone else will endeavour to do likewise in ours.

I believe all formats should thrive so all audio enthusiasts have the freedom of choice: vinyl, CD's, DVD-A's, SACD's, Mp3's, wax cylinders and so on. Why on earth slam any format or music genre as witnessed so often on this forum. We all should be supportive of any offering we can get to help satisfy our love of the music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 644
Rantz,

I agree with you completely, mate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
I do believe that you can be dissapointed that the titles that you really want on SACD are not available. Take, for example, Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois" and Bright Eyes' "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" which are two of the best releases this year. Why couldn't they have put them on a Hybrid SACD for me!

Rantz
Unregistered guest
I agree Ben. There are some titles being released on SACD only but they are few and far between. Now that Dolby has developed a lossless audio packing system similar to Meridian's DVD-A to ride with the blu-ray format, there's no telling where this hi-res market will lead.

Silver Member

Post Number: 645
Ben,

Bright Eyes' "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" sounds fantastic on vinyl, sonically and musically. The CD version sounds excellent as well. I could live with either.

Do you think your enjoyment of the album would increase if it were on SACD?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5823

"Now that Dolby has developed a lossless audio packing system similar to Meridian's DVD-A to ride with the blu-ray format, there's no telling where this hi-res market will lead."

I'm sure the marketing people hope it will lead to another player and yet another copy of "The White Album".

Rantz
Unregistered guest
"I'm sure the marketing people hope it will lead to another player and yet another copy of "The White Album".

A cynical view albeit probably the correct one - except the 'White Album' hasn't been reissued in any of the hi-res formats as yet (to my knowledge).

And it certainly will lead to another player as this new Dolby Hi-res format has been officialy approved for Blu-Ray. I guess DD had to come up with a space saving hi-res format to keep its finger in the DVD pie.

Two Cents

The enjoyment of any album increases on SACD :-)

Rantz
Unregistered guest
BTW

Hope you are situated okay re Rita, Jan. We hope Texas fairs better than the Katrina affected states. Fingers crossed!

The_Kegger!
Unregistered guest
"Hope you are situated okay re Rita, Jan. We hope Texas fairs better than the Katrina affected states. Fingers crossed!"

Same here! Wish you and others well!

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
$.02,

I don't know, because I don't have it on SACD. I would reccomend "Illinois" if you like Bright Eyes. I was lucky to get one of the CD's with Superman on the cover.

I think the Beatles CD calalog moves so well, that EMI isn't pressed to reissue it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
Supposedly the Beatles catalog will soon be available on iTunes. (At the risk of losing credibility with audiophiles, I admit I love my ipod.) Perhaps it won't be long before the albums come out in high-res. The recent Beatles reissue on imported vinyl (EMI/Toshiba) has been a bomb.

Ben - if "Illinois" is anything like "Greetings from Michigan" I think I'll pass. For a while I was listening to nothing but Bright Eyes and Cat Power (and maybe a little Sleater-Kinney. "The Woods" is the hardest rocking album I've ever heard.)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3770
I agree with MR and Kegger re Rita, Jan. I see Dallas is a long way inland compared with Galveston and Houston. I hope for everyone down there that this one is not so bad.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5829

Dallas is probably in no immeadiate danger from the hurricane. Should it hit Galveston Island at a Level Four hurricane, it will more than likely dissipate to a Level One hurricane at most by the time it travels the 400 miles inland on its projected path through Dallas. What it will bring with it are tornadoes fed by the Jet Stream which flows across North Texas. A Level One hurricane followed by half dozen Level Three tornadoes could be a problem. A few years ago a small community just South of Dallas was literally wiped off the face of the Earth in less than two minutes by a Level Five tornado. Flooding could become a problem in many areas around Dallas/Fort Worth.

Right now the problem is the evacuation of the Gulf Coast residents. The people South of Houston (Galveston) were told to evacuate before the residents of Houston were told. By the time the Galveston area residents made it North to Houston the roads were full and we now have a 100 mile long traffic jam with people traveling 20 miles in 16 hours. The temperature here was 101 yesterday and people on the highways headed North are running out of fuel which are causing more delays and the National Guard is helecoptering in fuel and food to get people off the roads. The gas stations between Houston and Dallas are running out of gas and supplies which strands more people on the road. The government officials are now warning them they are in a "death zone" if the hurricane passes while they are in the middle of nowhere sitting in their cars without gas. But they are in the middle of nowhere! Thirty miles outside of Houston the small cities are few and far between and many of those residents have already left. The people stuck on the highway are feeling like sitting ducks.

A bus carrying nursing home residents had an electrcial malfunction and the spark ignited the oxygen tanks of the patients. The bus exploded and burst into flames. Right now it is assumed 28 of 38 passengers died and the rest are in the hospital.

The hurricane is still 200 miles off the coast of Texas.

Along with the "plan" to evacuate New Orleans there are questions being asked concerning what would happen should a major city anywhere in the US be hit by a terrorist attack. Particularly outside of the NorthEast section of the country, there are no real mass transit systems. About 27% of the refineries for the US are located along the Texas coast. They are all shut down at this time and gas prices are probably going up again.

The repaired levees in New Orleans have been breached once again. The potential for damage if the Hurricane hits between Galveston and Houston is mindboggling. The estimated $200 billion to rebuild the Louisianna coast will be just a down payment on what could happen here.

If the hurricane dies down to a Level Three before it strikes land, the damage could be restricted mainly to the coastal areas. Right now Rita is hovering between a Level Four and Five. Winds were reported as high as 215 M.P.H. yesterday. Hurricanes typically cannot sustain that level for long and will calm somewhat when they hit the cooler waters just off shore.

Watch the news, and, if you pray, do so for those people sitting on the roads. There's 90% chance Dallas will be OK.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Let's hope so. Better Blu-tac those Rodgers just in case though!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3771
Thanks, Jan.

The latest news I get is that Rita is hitting East of the major centres of population in Houston and Galveston. Let us all hope the human cost is as small as can be.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5855

September 27, 2005
DVD Fight Intensifies: Microsoft and Intel to Back Toshiba Format
By KEN BELSON
Microsoft and Intel are throwing their full weight behind one side in the long-running battle over the format for the next generation of high-definition DVD's.

Today, the two companies will announce that they are backing the HD-DVD format developed by Toshiba over the Blu-ray standard championed by Sony, Matsushita Electric, Samsung and others. Microsoft announced in June that it would work with Toshiba to develop high-definition DVD players. Now, Microsoft and Intel say they will develop software and chips that will allow personal computers to play the next-generation DVD's from Toshiba.

The companies said they had not ruled out incorporating Blu-ray technology in their operating systems and on their chips in the future. But they are convinced that as of now, the HD-DVD format discs can be produced more cheaply and more quickly than the Blu-ray discs, and are therefore likely to become the dominant technology.

For the last two years, Microsoft and Intel have been careful not to alienate either camp in the format battle because they sell software and components to companies on each side. They also hoped that the electronics makers and Hollywood studios developing the formats would reach a compromise.

But the major Hollywood studios are now split between the formats, and electronics companies on both sides plan to start selling next-generation DVD players as early as Christmas. Sony also plans to include Blu-ray technology in its new PlayStation 3 game console to be released next spring.

As the format standoff has deepened, demand for the current generation of DVD's and DVD players has slowed, alarming Hollywood studios, which have come to depend heavily on disc sales. The studios, as well as electronics makers and computer manufacturers, expect high-definition discs to restart sales growth. But the lack of a resolution over the future format has slowed the changeover.

"We were neutral for a long time," Jordi Ribas, the director of technical strategy for Windows at Microsoft, said. "But we're approaching the time when this has to come to market and from our standpoint, the earlier the better."

As early as last year, however, some industry executives said that Microsoft was likely to side with the Toshiba camp.

Though Microsoft and Intel do not make DVD machines, they benefit from the sale of next-generation discs because consumers will also want to play the new discs on their PC's. That means that the computer operating system will have to be designed to read those discs.

Microsoft and Intel say that Toshiba has proven that its discs can be copied onto hard drives and home servers and sent over home networks. The companies also favor the "hybrid" disc developed by Toshiba that includes a standard definition version of a movie on one side and a high-definition version on the other side.

Their decision to support Toshiba's HD-DVD format also creates another fissure in the tug of war between the companies backing the two formats.

For instance, Dell and Hewlett-Packard, two of the world's largest PC makers, are part of the Blu-ray group. Their computers, assuming they include Microsoft and Intel products, will be capable of playing HD-DVD discs. But if they want their machines to play Blu-ray discs, they may have to find a third-party to design software for them.

In addition to developing software to play HD-DVD discs on PC's, Microsoft may also create software so its new Xbox game console, which will be released later this year, will be able to play HD-DVD discs.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 459
Could it be that once again the inferior choice of two incompatible formats becomes the standard for reasons of pragmatic expediency and the quick dollar? Or do we need to wait patiently while Sony and others get their act together and produce a higher capacity and more expensive format?

The argument for higher capacity is powerful. First there was the CD, then the DVD because the CD wasn't large enough, and now we find the DVD inadequate. The question of higher capacity seems obvious to a computer technician or to anyone else for that matter. No matter how inconceivably large the bucket there always seems to be a way to fill it eventually. In view of Sony's desire to rule the world it is almost painful to argue their cause. However, Blu-ray is the clear choice for the future. HD-DVD will come up short in a decade therefore requiring yet another format change.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3778
All assuming a constant playing time, and disc diameter. We could have had ten minutes of DVD-A resolution on a single-layer 12 cm CD. Or over 60 minutes from a single-layer CD about 24 cm in diameter, roughly the size of an LP. The most important development for DVD-V, DVD-A and SACD was the readable double-layer optical disc.

I still think the days of the disc - any disc - are numbered. Look at the take-up of iPod Nano.

What is the point of bigger and bigger buckets when you can have the content on tap, and do not need a bucket at all?

We once obtained energy in containers - boxes or sacks of wood or coal, or gas tanks or cylinders. There was, then, some point in being able to store larger quanties in the same space.

When information. like energy, flows through a pipe, who cares how much you can pack into a container of some arbitrary size...?

Don't you think Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will soon be like rival designs for coal tenders on a steam locomotive....?

Just a thought. (Smiley).

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5930

If you want to pack more coal in the same size bucket, you have to make the bits smaller. That's generally not considered a good thing for coal or music.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3779
I think that, too, depends on how you pack them.

As I understand it, lossless packing is when you put the smaller bits together, at the end, to make bigger ones again, so that it makes is no difference whether the coal has been in a bucket at all. Or through a pipe.

This, or course, reflects my deep understanding of compression algorithms and audio codecs.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5943

Or ... you could just decide what smaller pieces of coal you won't notice aren't burning while the bigger pieces are burning really hot. Then you could throw away those smaller pirces and not be the least (significant) bit concerned about your bucket getting full.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3780
Yes.

There is also the goal of mining coal, and manufacturing coal fires, so you are only ever need lumps that are the right size and shape for the bucket.

It is not a bad analogy. All houses around where I live now used to have coal cellars, and the stuff was delivered in sacks. Some of the old fireplaces are works of art. Most heating now is by gas, which is fluid, and comes through pipes, on demand. It is cleaner and more convenient.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5945

Perfect coal ... forever.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1088
A quick "Hi" to all - I know I've been gone a long time, but I really had nothing to say, and did not want to get "political" on this "audio" forum.
But I did get a bit of good news the other day, by e-mail. Y'all remember the old retired professor, Franklin? The one whose Chicago apartment was ransacked?
Well, he said he finally found my e-mail, and reported thusly:
"I'd just like to inform you that the 'lady from Sarasota' and I have set up happy housekeeping here in Golden, Colorado. We have a townhouse up a slope overlooking the Denver valley, and whenever the smog lifts, it is a glorious view, indeed.'"
BTW, I'd told him that Mer and I had lived in Colorado in years past.
He continues: "The insurance companies finally settled my claims, and though I did not recoup all my losses, I think I fared pretty well. I am doing some research for the University of Denver, and my lady and I are talking about making our long-standing friendship legal, so to speak. As in marriage, I believe. Even at my advanced age, love and sentiment are not dead!"
Just thought the Dawgs would like to know that a former forum-mate is alive and doing better than expected!
Cheers to all. Aside from that, there is no news from Swampville that merits your kind attention. A full glass and fine weather to all!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5946

http://www.audiofanatic.it/Diffusori/Home_diffusori.html

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5947

Good to hear from you, Larry.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Likewise Larry. Hope you and Mer are keeping those glasses topped up and are enjoying the music. What else is there?

Take care

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3781
Hi, Larry!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6044

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/StateofBlurayHDDVD.php

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/ToshibaParamountHDDVD.php

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3784
What is it that people are currently dissatisified with, that makes HDDVD and Bluray such an issue....?

Are people going to get such dramatically improved sound and picture quality that they will want to replace all their DVDs?

Watched the light, romantic, familiar "Notting Hill" last night, in stereo, with new speakers and amp. Everyone agreed - volunteered- that they heard more than before. Better than previous surround system, by far. Not sure I can take any more Hugh Grant. Prompted by local filming last week of some TV drama. They had changed the street names to things in London W11. Personally, I like E3. They had some nice 1970-ish cars and fashions in the sets. Must be retro. Daughter said "Ooh, isn't that the man in Notting Hill?" One of the actors overheard, and assured her that it was, with a sort of sigh of resignation. I am blind to celebrity, that's part of my trouble with movies.

Off to see "Curse of the WereRabbit" at real cinema, later today. Will pay attention to technical things, always do, but I mostly hope we all enjoy the content. More computer effects than Chicken Run, it is said, but still basically Plasticine (equals Play-Doh...?) models.

Then back for some nice Wensleydale with crackers.

Greetings, all. I've been busy these last few weeks.

Please, a moment's silence for Pakistan, and Kashmir, on this thread. What a tragedy. If we take a minute for Tsunami and hurricanes, then we owe it. There is no political point to be made that I can see. I have only just heard about this, having been away last week, and deprived of news, until this morning.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3786
I have recently started receiving spam e-mail sent to the address that I use only on this forum. Perhaps it has to do with the new design of the site. There was none, prior to about ten days ago.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 472
"What is it that people are currently dissatisified with, that makes HDDVD and Bluray such an issue....?"

What's at issue here is a quality A/V delivery system that matches the High Definition format seen here on some broadcasts. While the ATSC hi-def system still doesn't match film quality, it nevertheless represents a major advance over the now decades old systems (NTSC, PAL, SECAM and their variants) in use today around the world. The DVD is totally inadequate for the demands of hi-def. The DVD however, given a quality transfer from the original, is still very good and will be around for a very long time. This is especially true considering how few people know what hi-def is, not to mention how many have seen it or have it in their homes. It does look like the gamers will ultimately decide the outcome of the BR vs. HD DVD battle.

[I use only one e-mail address and no, I have not seen spam lately.]

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3787
Thanks, JOHN.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1925
I haven't received spam but there is a delay everytime I pull something up here now. That's my system's blockers doing there job. I wish they hadn't made whatever changes that they made because it has slowed down my response time on this site.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6157

Received this item in this morning's emails:

Apply this mathematical formula. It has worked for someone you know.

This equation should be taught in all math classes!

From a strictly mathematical viewpoint it goes like this:

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%? What makes up 100% ! in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98% !

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E

11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far butt kissing will take you.

B-U-T-T-K-I-S-S-I-N-G

2+21+20+20+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 151%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that while Hard Work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it's the Bullshit and Butt Kissing that will put you over the top.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us