Composite video (yellow) + S-video+ Component

SW
When I run cables from my DVD player to my receiver, and from the receiver to my TV; Do I need to use composite, s-video, and component connections for a complete connection?

SW,

Depends on the reciever. On some receivers, it's a one-to-one relationship. That is, if the input FROM the dvd player TO the receiver is composite, then the output must be of the same format in order to pass to the TV (composite in the above example). The same would be true for S-vid and component.

With some of the newer gear the receiver itself can either "up-convert" or "down-convert" the signal. So, for instance on my HK AVR525 I can take an S-Video feed from my dvd player into my receiver but then connect to the TV via composite (which I think is dumb because I'm losing quality...). This is an example of "down-converting".

Conversely, on the Denon 3803 I could take composite from the dvd player into the receiver but then have it "up-converted" to either S-vid or component. This is actually a terrifically cool feature IF it fits your needs.

Philosophically though, I just can't understand why someone would put another piece of gear (with switching and RF noise) between a DVD video signal and a TV monitor. I bypass my receiver and go directly from DVD to TV. But it does allow you to switch video sources along with audio with the just one click of the remote.

But to each his own.

-h1pst3r

Greg Lee
Yes, but (if I understand the question) a shorter and appropriate answer is "No". To get the picture from the DVD player to the TV, you just need one of the three. For best picture quality, use a component connection.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us