Tube Kit

Bronze Member
Username: Mrbeefy

Post Number: 14
Just recently I've become interestedin tubes, and was wondering if anyone here has experience building one of these units.

Any suggestions where I could maybe get a kit? I found a couple plans through google and such, but anybody have a tried/true tube kit?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7249

http://www.bottlehead.com/

http://www.worldtubeaudio.com/

http://users.lmi.net/~jamesab/valve/valve.html

I've not built a contemporary tube kit. They are virtually foolproof as far as getting good results. Whether they sound the way you wish is the chance you take with kits.

The last link includes a page, "Experiments in Electrocution", which appears to no longer be available. Before it disappeared it pointed out one potential problem of kit building for those unfamiliar with electronics. In general, tubes operate at very high (read very lethal) voltages. Should your heart be in the ground path of such voltage, you will never know what you kit should sound like.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1051
FrankenPady. Just doesn't have the same ring to it.
I follow this thread and links as well.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1052
Really, would a 1000$ kit be so much better?
I am asking without knowing if they exist.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3879
Some links on my August 7th post and some related discussion on Passive pre-amps....

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7251

Are you asking whether a $1k kit purchased over the internet would be better than a $1k unit purchsed complete through a dealer? Without the extra people in the middle getting their little bit of profit it's a safe bet that at least the parts quality would be better. The design should be no different in quality; in fact, many of the kit designs are a take off on a consumer product such as the Dynaco gear which was also sold as kits.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1056
I would never consider buying a kit from anyone but a local dealer.
I buy local in my small town and pay a bit more for lumber and drywall, and would do the same for my nearer and good dealer an hour away.

That said, Jan, what would you buy with my 1K USD?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7254

I would always recommend your first tube amplifier should be a Dynaco ST-70. They are plentiful and still relatively cheap, they are a known quantity as far as sound quality, they are considered a classic of tube design, you can build up a ST-70 from the numerous mod kits available to make it virtually any level of performer you want it to be and you can sell it for what you have in it after using it for three years. You should be able to find a ST-70 for under $500 and pair it with any number of tube pre amps at about the same price. If you can deal with dual mono construction, I recently saw an Audible Illusions pre amp for under $500. I use a version of that pre amp so I think it's terrific. It also happens to be considered a cult item that offers outstanding sound for the money. Unlike a lot of cult items, both the Dynaco and the AI offer excellent reliability and easy service should you need help.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7255

Or, you can pick up a used McIntosh or Scott integrated amp or receiver for your price range.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1061
Jan, where do I, a tube newbie, look for such pieces?
I know you have done this a hundred times before, and I skipped the info, because my interest wasn't in tubes, but I am piqued a bit now.

Thanks.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1062
Thanks for the link, John.
I thought it was recent but was away for a week.
More thoughts to toss in the mix!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2654
Got the records Nuck, thanks. Won't have a chance to listen to them for awhile as my house is being tore up (remodel) and I am in the middle of selling off my home theater. Going to 2 channel and tubes.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7259

Where do you look for what? A ST-70? Audiogon is a place to begin. Same for the pre amp. You can also look at what Audio Classics has to offer though you'll spend more money buying from them. However, they usually have gone through the unit and brought it back to spec whenever possible and you have some recourse should what you buy not be what you want after you get it in your system.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl

http://www.audioclassics.com/

Audio Classics is mainly former McIntosh employees so they know Mac inside and out. They will also service older gear if you that need arises.

If you're comfortable with eBay, you can shop there also.

You can place "vintage audio tubes" into a search engine and begin with a small restoration service. Kegger was doing some restoration and sales. You might contact him.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1064
Arent you the busy beaver, Art!
Best of luck and a stout heart for you both, difficult circumstances, be sured.
Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2655
Thanks Nuck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us