Archive through March 17, 2007Nuck100
Archive through September 29, 2006Nuck100
Archive through May 03, 2006Gavin R. Cumm100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 150
Hi sorry to barge in, just wanted to ask whether changing the NAD C542 to Apollo would make a big difference, I mean, using the same int amp(C352)?

Or there will be an issue again such as " the NAD C352 will not give justice to the apollo"?

Or a better question: What is your comment on the NAD amp + Rega CDP?

Thanks so much...

Silver Member

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 151
I saw M.R.'s profile and went through this thread, he changed from 542 to apollo and has a great result but he has the 162/272 combo but mine is C352, not sure about it's pre-amp section though....

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6404
arnold, I doubt that you can go very wrong with a better source.
And I trust Rantz.

Username: Grinsatlake

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 4
Nuck: I had the Classe CDP 1.5 but it just played electronics. Built like tank, beautiful design but sound did nothing for me! Big disapointment. I had factory check it out and was to specs! Next I tried Musical Fidelity CD-Pre24 and it was beautiful and neat but only slightly better. Next the georgeous Shanling. Loved sound but had glitches and sometimes refused to play. NC to CA is a long shipping amount. Factory warranty covered BUT what a hassle. The Classe reminded me of my new Denon DVD2930Ci (just there) although I bought it for my tv. My new Rega Apollo is a marvel of Merlin Mystical sounds!! I just can't believe a unit this light and economical (for what you get)is this good. We are the lucky ones. I am still mystified by the power cord supplied? Sounds ok but I have a ZU power cable coming and wanted a base to start with. Rick

Silver Member

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 152
Nuck thanks!, I trust Rantz as well, it is my amp's pre-amp section that I doubt...read some commnets that the pre-amp section of the C352 is not soo good though have not tried any separate pre-amp to confirm this...I had this notion that the source is as good only as the underlying components...if the pre-amp or the int amp itself will be the weakest link then it might be worthwhile to upgrade this first, to get the full benefit of the apollo...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6414
arnold, if you are questioning the unit now, just poke around for the 162/272.
Solid build, great value.

Save time, buy just once. I can see no downside, as you like the Nad house sound.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4317
Want to add to Stu's earlier post that it appears that he was fortunate enough to pair the Naim integrated with the Naim CD player which should make all of the difference. With the slightly lower end Rega Mira I believe that the Apollo may have won as the Mira may not have the same synergy with Naim CD player and also the Mira may not have been able to extract that last little bit of difference. Ahh...associated gear makes all of the difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 88
Stu, when you said this:

" Also, the dealer strongly recommends leaving the player on full time and turning the display off, as Art mentioned. "

We're you refering to the Apollo or Naim player?

I often leave my Apollo on for a few days and then shut it down for a night. Then power back up in the morning and leave it on for another few nights. And you said, if I know I won't be around to listen for a day or two, I power down the whole system.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4322
That's a good idea NMT. THe Apollo actually likes to be unplugged for a night from time to time. Give it's little brain a rest...I know, why do we people have to anthropomorphize everything.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1615
NMyTree,

I was referring to the Apollo. Although shutting it off every now and again as you and Art do makes complete sense to me. If its working, I wouldn't change a thing.

I've heard the Naim CD players all benefit from being left on as well. From what I've read, I'm assuming the Naim players could take significantly more time to warm back up. This is discussed constantly in the Naim forum.

Art,

The CD5i was paired up with the Nait 5i. I haven't heard the Mira 3 unfortunately, but what you say regarding the Nait 5i/Apollo combo vs the Mira3/Apollo makes a lot of sense. However, the Nait 5i has a lot of synergy with the Apollo, and Rega TTs. If the Mira 3 isn't on par with the Nait, then maybe one would hear very minimal differences if at all? Everything I've heard about the Mira 3 has been overwhelmingly positive.

I think the Nait 5i is a juggernaut. You can hear very definite differences between the CD5i and CD5x, which retails for $3000. When I heard them both, the Nait wasn't outclassed at all. How many $1400 integrated amps don't get outclassed by $3000 CD players?

I'm not bashing the Mira 3 at all, having not heard it nor the Saturn - would the Mira 3 show most or all of the Saturn's capabilites? Have you heard a Mira3/Saturn combo? That may be an interesting measure of the Mira's capabilities IMO.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4645
Just checking in, friends. Not so much time and limited internet access for a few weeks.

M.R., when you were "pulling the trigger" i was somewhere in limbo over the Indian Ocean, but am now acclimatized to NZ for a few weeks. I thought I'd look out for you, but the re-fuelling was in Sydney. Jeez, what a journey.

It's actually great when you pass on a recommendation, endorse it, people take it up, and are as pleased as you were. Especially old friends like MR. It's always a risk. I think Frank's recommendation of the Apollo was one of the things that made me move.

More on my travels on Old Dogs. Sorry to interrupt!

All the best.

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 7
Art & Nuck: I am glad you guys have a sense of humor!!!!I am into my 24th hr. in 2 days of listening to my new Apollo and I am glad I got it before the word really got out! It appears it doesn't matter whether it is Il Divo, Andre Bocelli or "Last Man Standing"by Jerry Lee Lewis or Dick Hyman Plays Fats Waller, or Sonny Rollins"Way out West", This SoundStage is phenomenal and the realism and musicallity is unbelievable for this price!! Sorry for being so morose and deadpan. I'll try to cheerup tomorrow! Chow Rick

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4328
"would the Mira 3 show most or all of the Saturn's capabilites?"

No, and neither does the Nait with the upper end Naim CD players you just may not have had the good fortune to hear the upper end Naim amps with their high end players. I love Naim.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4329
Rick a great power cord for the Apollo is the van den Hul Mainserver...a little spendy but worth it.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1268
John A,

Great to read about you and Mrs A in NZ. I was there in '71 with my then future brother-in-law. He left Brisbane by ship (chatted to his sister on the dock - she was sixteen then, beautiful and had suddenly looked all grown up) and flew over and met up with him and a couple of others a few days later. Spent 7 weeks hitching around and having lots of fun in the land of the long white cloud. It certainly is a beautiful country as I'm sure you two are discovering. From Aukland to the sulpher stink of Rotarua and on to the freezing chill of Invercargill where we spent one night and high-tailed back towards the north island - it was nearing the end of July and were young and insane enough to give it a try (the insane part is most likely still with me, though the young in me has long gone). Enjoy your travels there - see the Bay of Islands if you can.

"I thought I'd look out for you, but the re-fuelling was in Sydney."

Well heck, John - we're just up the road a bit. I would have had a beer waiting and a cuppa for Mrs A. Okay, we're quite a bit up the road. So close yet so far. What a shame.

The Apollo is wondeful. Thanks to you, and others here for tweaking my interest. Luckilly, it was my wife's instant approval at the second audtion that sealed the decision. How fortunate I am for her (as you well know). We have spent two afternoons this weekend listening to our music and it's been just great hearing it so clean and natural.

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 9
Art: Thanks for the Van den Hul tip. I will look at the various places we all do. Since I retired from the airlines that I spent 26 yrs. at flying my 737 and then 2 bankruptcies and an 80% pension dumping, I spend less than I used to on 2 channel (my real love besides my wife of 27yrs.) I am mystified about the factory supplied power cable and its lack of a grounding tab on the CD frame side? Any idea why they did that other than (we've always done it that way)? Does it stop or diminish the RFI? Just curious. I don't care, it just plays "real music" to my ears. Rick

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
I may have mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating.

I have gotten' significant and wonderful results by using a hybrid tubed Pre Amp between the Apollo and power amp.

My Vincent Nybrid Tube SA-T1 Pre Amp(with two New Production Tung-Sol matched 12AX7 valves in the Left and Right channel positions and a NOS Mullard CV4003 12AU7 in what appears to be the Rectifier position) absolutely takes the Apollo's sweet, organic, musical sound and makes it even better.

It adds such a palpable 3D soundstage and makes that organic element of the Apollo seem like something you can reach out and touch. It's wonderfully muiscal, emotional and inspiring.

As I may have mentioned I have several systems in my house.

Over the next few months I'll be receiving a Van Alstine Transcendence 8 Vacume Tube Pre Amp (which Frank is currently building for me), a Van Alstine FET Ultra 350 Hybrid Power Amp (not till June), a pair of Rega Exon 3 Mono Blocks, a McIntosh C220 Vacume Tube Pre Amplifier, and another Apollo CDP.

By the way, I ordered the Rega Saturn a few weeks ago, but it will take another week or two before it arrives. Can't wait to hear that bad boy!

Once I have all this gear in the house, I will be trying different matchups for the purpose of filling three systems (spots) in the house with music. I plan on doing some mixing and matching to see what kind of synergy I can get with all this gear.

I already know how my Butler TDB 2250 Hybrid Tube Power Amp matches with the Apollo and Vincent SA-T1; so I'm certain to keep this combo in one of the rooms. It's simply too musical, too sweet, too organic........too eargasmic to change.

But it will be interesting to see which combos will have synergy with the other gear.

And if I everything continues going well here, some time in the fall I will buy the McIntosh MC252 Power Amp, too.

Should make for some intersting and musical experimenting.

Honestly, out of the dozens and dozens and dozens of gear I have auditioned over the last 5 years; I have come to the conclusion that for my ears, my tastes, my musical and sonic preferences; these manufactors and their gear are the ultimate in eargasmic, musical, emotional pleasure for me.

Wharfedale Opus Series, Revelation Audio Lyra 7 Loudspeakers, Rega, Butler Audio, Vincent, Van Alstine and McIntosh.

Nothing I have tried sings to me, like the specific models I mentioned from these manufactors.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4330
I like the brands you mention and I would add Living Voice speakers and Mastersound amplifiers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Sheesh...I got to babbling on and forgot to make my main point.

The Apollo is taken to even a higher level, with a nice hyrid or tubed pre amp or even a hybrid amp like the Butler TDB 2250 or Van Alstine FET Ultra Hybrid amp.

But a tubed pre amp really takes you into another world of musical pleasure. Eargasmic!

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 10
NMyTree: I agree and didn't know I did till this week when I got a DK Design VS-l Reference Hybrid Amp (MK-1/85lbs.!) which uses preamp 6922/6DJ8 Seimens with 150 watts into 8ohms. I hooked it up to Triangle Celius 202's with my new Apollo and I swear I thought I could actually touch the performers! I used to have (many years ago: Threshold MonoBlocs and Threshold Fet10 with Mirage M1's and Sota Star Saffire and I thought that was the best I have heard and owned but this beats it hands down! I am still in shock and I am using cheap Monster speaker cable for speakers and this week will add it the Audioquest BiWired hunks for speakers to experiment and a Zu power cord to experiment. I am in love again with 2 channel. Thanks guys for all the info and waking me up. WOW1 My two 100lb. dogs even sit around me during music!!Rick

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4331
Rick, if you get around to checking into the van den Hul Mainserver power cord or Orchid interconnect, I know of only one full time dealer and they are fantastic. They have customers all over the country.

http://www.eugenehifi.com/

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4375
Well this post is for MR and Larry or whomever else may give a rip.

I did a little experimenting today and it seems that the Apollo really does rip my Denon DVD2910 a new $#%^& with the CD layer of my hybrid discs vs the SACD layer on the Denon. I figured it must be so as MR had stated similar results with a better Denon vs the Apollo but I felt that I had to follow up. I cannot think of any way in which the SACD on the Denon bettered the CD layer on the Apollo. Amazing stuff!!!

Bronze Member

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 11
Art,MR, Larry & whomever else. I agree with Art! I have a well broken in Denon DVD2930Ci and the Apollo blows it away. I not sure about all the "buzzwords" the reviewers use, BUT my Apollo, now with approx. 150 hrs on it is far more musical on any type of music I have tried (Country, Jazz, Rock, Classical,Pop) versus the Denon. I have been a Denon owner for years and love their stuff, BUT there is no comparison to me. I'm so glad I have "real music" again!!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4388
I'm glad you're enjoying yours as much as MR, John A, and I are enjoying ours. I know I missed a few members of the Apollo club....sorry.

Username: Kommando

Mt. Prospect, IL

Post Number: 10
Hi all

A while back, I started asking about the experiment with bi-wiring for my Apollo/Mira3/R5. I was about to do it until I read from Rega website, which basically spells out that there is no improvement with bi-wiring. Bi-amping is a total different story. I probably won't get to bi-amp for a few more years. I enjoy my current set up very much. However, anyone has attempted bi-amping with Mira/Exon (sp) or Exon/Exon?
KP

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1861
Art, et al: I do, indeed, sir, "give a rip." Sigh. Problem is that I don't have the bucks to back up my enthusiasm.

I've heard/read enough to know that I'll never get fine CD sound until I upgrade my player. Well - Mer tells me that's not in our budget this month, this year, and probably this decade. Well. . . .sigh.

The new cables, BTW, have made quite a difference, but this afternoon I again sampled music on friend Jerry's rig - saturn, Krell, Maggies. Double sigh. Can't even come close to that. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4394
Keith I just switched from Chord Rumour 4 bi wire to van den Hul D-352 (not bi wire, with my brass jumpers) and the latter sounds better. Next I will build jumpers from spare D-352 cable that the retailer gave me to improve the sound further.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4396
Jumpers made and applied...sound much smoother. van den Hul cable HIGHLY recommended for Rega gear.

Silver Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 119
Can't keep up with you, Art. :-)

Have Rumour 2 and a Chord Silver Siren on there way here as of this weekend. That's ok, I don't have to be *just* like you. I got killer deals on them off ebay though so I'd be happy no matter what. It pays to be patient - I've been stalking these items for over a month and not until this weekend did I find a good deal on any of it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4397
I'm still using my Silver Siren with my XM it's a wonderful value.

Rumour is also excellent and Rumour 2 is an especially good cable for the money.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 330
Rick C II, I use a Element Cable Red Storm Power Cable with my Apollo but have not compared it to anything else. This power cord is inexpensive but they have a new end of higher end products which may be of interest to you as well.

NMyTree, no vinyl??????????????????????????????

My Linn Sondek may have been the best investment I made with my system (OK, not counting the Carver which cost me next to nothing :-) )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
LOL, Michael. Actually the Van Alstine T8 Pre Amp which Frank is building, will have a real nice phone section.

I have well over 1,200 CDs. But only a few vinyl albums and 45. Exactly 20 years ago I lost a vinyl collection which contained over 700 albums in a flood. My records sat under water for almost two weeks, as I was away on vacation when it happened.

Only a handfull of vinyl records were spared because my buddy had borrowed them.

As you can imagine, I was devasted at losing my whole vinyl collection.

I decided to move on and start collectiing the new( at the time ) format, Compact Discs.

Recently, I decided to start preparing to get into vinyl again. I ordered my T8 Pre Amp and I'm mulling over turntables.

I want my kids to know and experience the vinyl format, as I did when I was a little kid.

I've been leaning towards the Rega P5, but I'm still not sure. Maybe you guys can give me some opinions and suggestions on which way to go with a turntable.

Any opinions are welcome.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4450
I like the Rega tables and own a P3 but at the P5 price I really like the Roksan Radius 5. Can't lose either way.

http://www.roksan.co.uk/

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 105
NMyTree- bummer about your record collection, Dude. I am approaching the 13 year reunion of losing my 600+ cd collection in a fire. One of them survived (the one in my truck)- Robin Trowers Bridge of Sighs. I kept quite a few of the burnt and smoked cd's. My favorite is my Pat Travers Crash and Burn cd. I oughta let go and get rid of those old discs. At least I had the option to replace them. I suppose you didn't have that choice.

Good luck in your quest.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4452
Just picked up "Bridge of Sighs" on vinyl day before yesterday.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 106
Do you have any other Trower, Art?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4454
That's all.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 331
NMYT - ditto stryvn on the loss of your collection. I had similar experience, decided to get out of vinyl, gave away a bunch, stuff not even opened yet, and lost the rest to flooding. Being into it again, it is a treat to find one you had in your collection like Grand Funk Railroad - Survivor or Rare Earth - Get Ready.

When I bought my Linn LP 12 the dealer demoed it against a $9K CD player and the Linn kicked its butt. He also told me that the Rega 9 could not touch it. I don't know if that is true or not but it sounded better to me than the Rega 9 I had heard before. I am not trying for shameless self promotion because I have a Linn but you really should hear one.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4460
No "I" shouldn't Michael...believe me. Actually a friend of mine had one until he sold it and bought a Sota Millenia and an SME arm. You should hear it...no you shouldn't....

For now I'm going to be glad that I don't have to hear his Sota or your Linn so I can still be happy with my P3. Perhaps NMT can afford the big time.

And yes it's great to find the old records again. I was just talkin' about that with Stryvn. I too had a collection of about 700 records 20 plus years ago and have just gotten back into vinyl. I'm tryin to find all of my old party favs on vinyl. Ahh yes at the age where nostalgia kicks in big time....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Nah, I'm sure your Linn is fantastic, but that's way...way...way out of my proce range.

I can get a brand new Rega P5 for $1,000.00 less than the Roksan table.

Any other suggestions for the $900-1,000 price range?

stryvn and Michael, sorry to hear you guys went through similar expeiences. God, it sucks big time! Such a bummer!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4461
Don't know where you live NMT but here only $200 separates the P5 from the Roksan.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Really Art? I looked on-line at a review of the Roksan, and they claimed it listed for $1,895.00 USD.

That's interesting. I'll look up a local dealer and give them a call, today; just to check the price.

Thanks guys!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Okay, I called May Audio (the Roksan distributor in the USA).

I don't have any Roksan dealers in my area. So I would have to buy directly from May Audio.

When all is said and done- the Radius 5, the Corus Black cartridge and shipping; I'm looking at a little over $1,900.00.

I could forego on the Corus Black cart and instead buy something like the CLEARAUDIO AURUM CLASSICS WOOD 3.3mV cart; and save $200.00.

But I don't know if the Arum is a good match with the Radius 5 and it's tonearm.

I can get the Rega P5 for $895.00 and that comes with a cartridge and everything I need. I would only have to buy an acrylic platter and ditch Rega's glass platter (roughly $60.00 I believe).

But I have been reading and hearing some very postitive praise of the Roksan Radius 5 and it has me intriqued.

Would you guys say the Radius 5 is a superior turntable to the P5?

I'm gonna' have to think about this, research some more and mull it over. Decisions decisions.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4464
That's a good deal on a P5 as they retail for 1295.00 without cartidge and the Radius retails for 1495.00 w/o cartridge or 1895.00 with.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 128
WOW.

That's all I have to say.

My Chord Rumour cable just arrived. I hooked it up and frankly I'm shocked at just how much of an easily discernable upgrade I got over my Home Depot 14-gauge - smoother, clearer, more dynamic, more open.

It's sounds so good that frankly it has me left wondering if I had the old wiring hooked up out of phase. :-)

And my Silver Siren hasn't even gotten here yet.

How can there be any debate that speaker wire does in fact matter? Some of the best money I've spent on my system so far. And it only cost me $50 (got a used single 3 meter terminated length off ebay, and split it in half).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4465
Amazing that there is even a debate isn't it....

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 129
No doubt, Art.

It was good before, but I literally can't pull myself away from the thing now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
I don't think the debates really revolve arouns whether different cables and different kinds/qualities of cables make an audible difference. Because I think most people realize some cables will change, improve and in some cases degrade the sound of one's system.

I think the debate is that the ridiculous prices charged for cables are hardly worth it and that some of these cable companies charge way too much for their cables. it's criminal what some of them charge.

I think that is where the debate lies.

I for one believe there are very good cables in the $100.00-150.00 range that work and sound just as good, if not better; than $800.00-$2,500.00 cables. I've experienced that myself with hands on experience.

I think a lot of the really high priced cables are a joke. But that's just me.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4467
"I don't think the debates really revolve arouns whether different cables and different kinds/qualities of cables make an audible difference."

Actually many of the debates revolve around just that. Many of the same folks say that all well designed amps sound the same and that all cd players sound the same. I know it sounds crazy to those of us who can hear but that's how it is.

"I for one believe there are very good cables in the $100.00-150.00 range that work and sound just as good, if not better; than $800.00-$2,500.00 cables. I've experienced that myself with hands on experience."

I agree with that observation minus it's preface. Many big buck cables just sound different not better.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1674
I sometimes wish I didn't hear any differences. It would save so much time and money. Wire is wire my A$ $.

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 164
Hi all, sorry to deviate a little on the topic, may I ask what is your opinion on the Rega Planet 2000 player? How does it fair with the new brio? If you were offered a very attractive price on the Planet 2000, would you take it? why?

Thank you very much.

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 165
Oops, sorry, I mean Apollo...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4472
Geez I wonder.....

Arnold, in case you hadn't noticed your asking that on a thread full of folks who mostly own and are very satisfied with the Apollo. The Brio works very well with the Apollo. Buy!

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 166
Art, it looks like my question was misunderstood, sorry for the confusion...

I am actually asking about the Rega Planet 2000 in comparison with the new Rega Apollo...

thanks

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1317
Arnold, the general concensus is that the Apollo surpasses the famous Planet, and some will say the same for the Jupiter as well. I did.

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 167
As i would have expected M.R., Thanks for your response...I pass on this Planet for now and save up for the Apollo then...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4483
I agree with MR.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1685
Arnold,

Check my somewhat long post a few weeks back. I compared the Apollo, Planet 2000, and Naim CD5i.

The Planet 2000 is a very godd CD player. If you can get one for the right price and are on a tight budget, it still is a very good player. The Apollo is better though.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1692
Is this where I officially sign up to join the Apollo Owner's Club?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4486
This is the place...c'mon in!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4489
So how much does Rega love this thread?

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 335
They'd love it more if it got more Saturn exposure. LOL

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 168
Thanks Stu, Art and M.R., how about between C542 and the Planet, which do you think is better? I ask this since I currently have the C542 and it will not make sense to grab the Planet if they are on par....

I know, I should be going out and really listen to the Planet but unfortunately this is not possible for some reasons...so please bear with me on this guys...you are the only best source of info on this...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1320
Arnold, as you know I had the C542 and was extremely happy with it.

Until I compared it to the Apollo.

The C542 was, imho, great value in a quality CDP for the money. The same goes for the Apollo - only more so. And when you've listened for a while - it's much more so.

Stu - congratulations. The longer you play the better it becomes. We love ours.

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 169
Thanks M.R....

Who knows, might join your club in the future, let's see....The hardest part for me is always the WAF...I cannot sneak in the new Apollo with out the Wife noticing it he he he...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1321
Buy her something nice Arnold, take her out to dinner, then tell her she deserves beautiful music. And that you know just the thing that can do that.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 132
Congrats Stu!

My Silver Siren arrived yesterday. More revealing than the Blue Jeans, but I'm still adjusting to its brightness. Think I like it, but more listening needed.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4491
Give it at least 100 hrs before judging it MT. Even more hours are recommended.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4500
Stu...hey man....when are ya comin' up for air. Have you seen the light of day since the Apollo hit home? Stu...Stu....

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 170
Stu is speechless with his new Apollo

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4502
I forgot to remind folks just in case ya'll don't know (whic I'm sure you do), turn off the Apollo's display...you won't regret it.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 133
Will do Art but I bought these used, so I'm imagining they've got decent use on them.

Is your Chorus for sale or did you trade that in for the VDH's? ;)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4509
The Chorus is gone, they were definitely better than the Sirens. At almost 3 times the price they ought to be.

You do know that the Sirens are directional don't you?

Without spending a ton of money other options would be the Kimber Kable Timbre or Hero. Also Cardas and Audioquest have good sounding inexpensive interconnects. Another budget killer is the Analysis Plus Oval One.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 134
Thanks, Art. I'm probably going to get my hands on a couple and play around with them to see what I like best. It's fun.
If anything the Siren has already proven to me how "different" different cables can sound. I might be willing to go after a Chorus now because of it - if I find the Siren bright will I get more of the same from the Chorus?

Don't get me wrong though I like the Siren. It is superior to the Blue Jeans on pretty much everything that doesn't involve a distorted electric guitar... but on the latter it makes my Bostons a tad bright. I know cables aren't supposed to be band-aids for tone controls, but... I like those guitars fine with the Blue Jeans.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 135
Oh and on the directionality - I didn't at first but after some searching and reading on the forums yesterday realized that it might be. I went home and reversed the cables so that I could read the cable label going away from the CD player (left to right). Hope I got that right.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1695
Thanks for the compliments guys. I've had some stuff going on with the family and the Holiday...

The Apollo is such a great CD player. Even my wife who says "I don't get it" when it comes to this stuff said it sounds great. She's starting to get it.

My dealer who may have been pushing me toward the Apollo (in a good way) set up a Naim Nait 5i/CD5i system with Rega R5s and a Mira 3/Apollo system with the R5s. The Naim system was a little better, but not $1250 better. He made it real easy when he asked me "How easy or hard is it to come by $1250?"

It was a no brainer. The Rega system has everything I was looking for in the Naim system, at such a better price. Next purchase will be the Mira 3 this summer.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4531
"if I find the Siren bright will I get more of the same from the Chorus?"

Yes MT you will...you may want to switch gears. Though My Sirens aren't a bit bright...especially since I switched from the Rumour speaker cable, oops.

Yes, the "T" on The Chord Company should be at the CD player end.

Stu, I'm so glad to see ya man I thought we'd lost you. I'm pleased to hear that you've become a "Rega Man".... On the seroius side I really think that's it's very difficult to communicate music more naturally than the Rega Apollo/Mira 3/R5 system does at anyywhere near it's price.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/rega/PRD_337423_1 594crx.aspx

Above is a link to my brief overview of the R5 speaker back in January. I've since switched all of my cables to van den Hul (except for Chord Silver Sirens for the XM) and the sound is far better than then. I also received my pair of R5's and gave back the demo's that I had for 3 mos. The fit and finish as well as the sound is better with my pair...I'm a happy camper and I think that Rega's focus on music and not HiFi is partly to blame.

Username: Csteveberg

Post Number: 1
Thank you so much for providing this.
I am sure that it will be very helpful for many peoples.

http://www.mpeg-converter.net

Username: Bobno

Glassboro , NJ USA

Post Number: 2
I found the Rega Apollo to have a slight sibelance problem.I also auditioned the unit against the Jolida 100, Rotel 72 and the Cambridge Audio 840c.
All beat the Rega IMO.

Bronze Member

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 13
Bob: I have owned an Apollo now for 2 months with about 200+ hours on it. I have absolutely NO sibelance problem. I tried to audition the Cambridge at Tweeters her in Nashville,TN and the sales people said they have had more than 2 broken in 3 weeks. NOT reliable. I definitely did not like the Rotel, although they make great stuff. I seriously considered the Jolida but tons of people buy them and then they are not satisfied and then spend lots of money getting them "hot rodded". Then shortly later , they are up for sale. I bought the Apollo because nothing i heard came close to the musicality that the Apollo gave back to me. I have had Music Fidelity CDPre24, Classe and still cannot for me be as musical as the Apollo. It is not a Naim but it is "to my ears" very close and for the huge difference in money a joke. You may have heard sibelance, BUT I wonder how it was set up and what audio pieces were used with it? Your ears, your money. Thats all that really matters.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1348
I agree with Rick. A good test is any Diana Krall CD, though a player will never prevent the sibilence in her voice, the Apollo does not emphasise it like others I've heard.

Bronze Member

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 14
M.R.: I hadn't thought about it, but you are absolutely right! I have heard Diana Krall several times up close with good acoustics and my Apollo is as close to the real thing as I have found, for reasonable money. Live is always best, naturally and recently we heard Madeline Peroux in concert in small venue and her background group was very dynamic and musical and I couldn't wait to get home and put her CD on just to see how close "my stuff" sounded like the real thing. I'm very pleased. Thanks for the reminder. Rick G.

Glassboro , NJ USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the replies.
I have a higher end grado headphones and the sibelance is very pronounced so I definitely can't tolerate sibelance in my new CDP.
I did an AB comparison with the Jolida and Apollo and the sibelance was there in the Apollo ( not my imagination). I then compared the Cambridge 840C with the Apollo and there was better bass with the Cambridge and the sibelance again reared it;'s ugly head with the Apollo.( my wife even heard it and she has a tin ear)
BTW, I was listening thru mid range Rega speakers. I don't remember the amp.
Saturday I compared the Rotel 72 with the Apollo and the Rotel blew away the Apollo in the high end and midrange. The Apollo had a tad better bass and dynamics though.
I think the Apollo is definitely overrated and many people are influenced by the printed word.

I'm wondering if Cambridge has corrected their "unreliability" problem with the new 840C.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
I tend to think the sibilance is in either your system or in the recording.

I've had the Apollo for a year now and I have never heard even a hint of sibilance. Never! Not through my loudspeakers or my headphones.

There's a few possibilities, here.

1) The most likely scenario is that the Apollo simply does not matchup well with that system. No synergy, bad match. bad matches can cause bad sound...in several different ways.

2) Your headphones maybe a bad match. Oddly, you didn't hear the sibilance till you used those high-octane, super-duper high end headphones. Did you hear the sibilance coming through your loudspeakers? Or just the headphones?

3) Could be that specific recording you were listening to.

4) The most unlikely scenario is that specific Apollo had a defect/ malfunction/ flaw that only caused sibilance. I can't imagine a defect which would only manifest itself as sibilance.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy or Apollo-Homer, but you are encountering a problem which no other Apollo user I have ever talked to, or read their impressions of; ever had. No Apollo owner that I know of has ever mentioned a sibilance problem.

My Apollo has no such problem.

Isn't it just possible that this sibilance problem is isolated to your specific system and matchup of gear? Can you at least admit of the possibility?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7004
While in agreement that the Rotel player may hit and deliver higher registers, I would be surprised if the dozen or so critical listeners would not have noticed any sort of sibilance.
Anomoly?
Listener?
Cables?
Dunno?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4622
"Rotel blew away the Apollo in the high end and midrange"

Having owned a whole bunch of Rotel gear including their CD players I can say that IMO the issue is Bob's ears not the Rega gear. Don't get me wrong I enjoy Rotel gear and the 1072 is a very nice player but it's not in the same league with the Apollo.

A better test for sibilance in vocals is Cassandra Wilson (pretty much any of her Blue Note Cd's). It will be there with any player, to a lesser extent with some than others. The Rega did not exhibit it anymore than my NAD C542, Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha, Rotel RCD 971 or the other fine players I auditioned with this Cd from Naim, Arcam and Simaudio. I found that interconnects had a great influence on how much high frequency energy I experienced with any of them.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1790
"I think the Apollo is definitely overrated and many people are influenced by the printed word."

The Apollo ain't the last word in CD players, and I don't think anyone (esp here) tried to imply that.

Everyone's ears, systems, and rooms are different. I've never detected any silibance with the many systems I've hear the Apollo in. But I've never listened through your system or ears.

And finally, I highly doubt anyone here fell for any hype of any kind. All of the people here who've bought an Apollo have a lot of experience with stereo systems. While none of us are true 'experts' (are there really any true experts out there?), we can definitely pick out a CD player. No one here bought one without listening to it on at least a couple of occasions.

Thanks for your concerns Bob. We're not your average Best Buy shoppers.

BTW, my Apollo sounds better everyday. Although my ears would like me to keep it on indefinatley, my Apollo's brain needs a break every few days or it loses its mind.

- If I don't listen to it for a few days and left the display off, it won't come back on unless I power it off and turn it back on, kind of like resetting it.

- If I do a lot of fast forwarding/rewinding, it gets a little confused. It'll kind of get back-logged. i.e. if I'm getting a little squirrely with rewinding and fast forwarding, then try to play, it'll keep rewinding, then start fast forwarding, then play. Meanwhile, I've been hitting stop. A minute later it'll stop. Not that it happens often, but its happened 2 or 3 times.

Anyone else experience these? Honestly, I don't listen to music like that. I was just trying to hear different parts of different songs for the first time on it. Just wondering if these are normal things to this and/or other brands of CD players.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4623
Yep it occasionally loses it's mind. I still don't turn it off. It's been more than a month now since it was last off. Hey my old NAD would occasionally lose it's mind (and it didn't have much mind to lose) it's the nature of it.

I also agree with you Stu that I wasn't duped into buying the Apollo. If you'll remember the first time I heard it, it was new to the dealer and later (after at first saying it was broke in) the dealer admitted it wasn't broke in. That day it came in a solid 3rd place out of 4 players I listened to. I bought the Audio Refinement, preferred the Naim and thought that the Rega sounded nice but was a little rough around the edges. A few months later I heard it broke in and left on and it was like day and night different from the first time I heard it. It had the same character but most of the rough edges were smoothed out. As Stu said we know it ain't the last work in cd players (after all the Saturn is...lol!). I've listened to fabulous players by Ayre and Esoteric that blow it away but for a kilobuck it's in a class by itself.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 279
I'm curious if anyone here might have heard the Altmann Attraction DAC?

I've chanced upon some reviews of it late and am guessing it might be a contender for the best way to spend 1k on cd playback. It has a further $250 jitter reducing option that makes the transport completely irrelevant, apparently.

What caught my attention first off was Dick Olsher review in enjoythemusic.com where he reckons this is the best digital sound he has heard in 25 year, cost no object.

cheers

B.

Bronze Member

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 15
Today there is a lot of "good stuff out there"! BUT: your ears are all that counts, if your really care. Since we are all mostly in the top 1 or 2% who are really into music and not "what I own might impress my neighbor", who cares what you heard. Sit back, listen to your favorite music, have some fun and remember "you are here on this earth for just a very small time, murphy's law, etc. and who cares "REALLY" what you bought. If it sounds good to you: ENJOY!!! Ad Infinitum. Rick G.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 280
No worries Rick, I've been listening to music all day and I'm happy with what I got (not an Apollo anymore, and costs 6 times less)

But I still find it interesting to know who the new kids on the block are, especially when when they come from a different camp (non-oversampling in this case - which is what I run)

But maybe you better stop reading what I write lest you become dissatisfied with your Apollo. ;)

cheers,

B.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1349
Apollo issues? Not so far. As Art suggested a while back, we keep ours on all the time with the display off (and during play). It starts and plays every time without any issues whatsoever (knock on wood). We are happy campers. As Rick infers, this is not a 'we have Apollo's and they are the best thread. Most of us who have them are very happy with their performance. Sure there are better cdp's (I'm yet to hear one) and many, many worse (but still good). I yer happy, that's all that matters.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 360
Stu,

I believe your Apollo is the twin of mine. I have had the exact same issues as you.

So does this mean that you are an "A" type personality who hits the FF || RW all in 1.5 seconds too?

LOL

Glassboro , NJ USA

Post Number: 4
Stereophile mentioned the Apollo's sibilance in their review last summer.
So it's not my imagination or what it's being played on.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1350
Actually Bob, the Stereophile review did not mention sibilance as far as I can see. Here's what Mr Dudley stated:

"From one disc to the next, regardless of the style of music, the Rega was clean, clear, and never boring. The only shortcoming I noted was a tendency for the trebles to sound a little too crisp on a few discs in my collection'"such as David Grisman's Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza, on his own Acoustic Disc label (ACD-35). I love the version of the weird old fiddle tune "The Dusty Miller" on that album, with Ricky Skaggs and his father-in-law, Buck White'"although the great mandolinist Frank Wakefield steals the show toward the end with an edgy solo that throws all caution to the wind as he bangs back and forth between major and minor voicings. But the sound got edgy, too, in a way that the more expensive Naim CD5x and Ayre AX-7e did not. No big deal'"but I'd think twice before buying a Rega Apollo for a system with a relentless top end."

And that was on a "few" discs. Any player will usually find a few discs that may not befit their reputation. Crisp trebles does not necessarilly mean sibilance. And of course associated equipment plays a part as well - as Mr Dudley infers. And the Apollo, of course, does take some time to burn in. I'd say a hundred hours or two.

Sibilance is a condition in music I dislike very much - so I cannot say our Apollo suffers from this, except to say that if it's there, the player will reproduce it rather accurately.

No one's telling you how to suck eggs, Bob. If the Apollo isn't for your ears, that's fine. We can't tell you what you hear just as much as you can't tell us what we hear. Enjoy the music.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1792
Bob,

Its pretty obvious that the Apollo is not for you. Its also pretty obvious that it is for us.

Where else can this go?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4624
Bob, I just noticed you are a Social Worker so your forgiven for dissin' our beloved Apollo....lol! We Soical Worker's must stick together. BTW which one do you have (sorry if I missed it before).

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
M.R. hit right on the head. I (or anyone else here) has any vented interest in defending the Apollo. It really doesn't matter to me if someone else doesn't like it.

It's all a matter of personal taste and how any piece of gear works with the other gear in the system and the room acoustics.

If someone tells me they don't like it or it's not their cup of tea, then so be it. To each his own.

But when someone comes on here, as Bob has; making claims/criticisms/complaints which no one has ever experienced with the Apollo; then claims a reviewer (from Stereophile) commented on the same problem.

Yet everyone here read the review and knows darn well that reviewer never encountered or mentioned any problems with sibilance. Then, one has to wonder the intentions of someone who comes here making such fraudulent claims.

Hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But don't make up a bunch a lies.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike53

Post Number: 59
FWIW. I recently purchased the Rega Apollo, Mira 3 and R5 speakers. Have only had them for about 2 weeks now and am still burning in the system but it sounds fantastic. (See my thread in the amplifier catagory.)
This set-up may not be for everybody - I know Frank doesn't care for the speakers - but others, like Art, agree with me.

As for sibilance...I know it was mentioned in Stereophile but I didn't hear any at the dealer and I've yet to hear any hear at home. I listen to a wide variety of music and was thinking that maybe it was the CD or something else in the reviewers set-up. ???

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1353
"As for sibilance...I know it was mentioned in Stereophile"

Please Mike, copy and paste the 'sibilance' section mentioned in the Stereophile review. Congrats on your system btw, it will only make the music better and better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
M.R.

Regarding sibilance...when Bob stated that it was mentioned in Stereophile I took it at face value that he had read such a statement in the review. Go here to read the article: www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/606rega/

I quickly read the review and didn't see such a statement...but I may have missed it.

BTW, the more I play the system the better it sounds!

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
I read the article when it first was released.

I don't recall reading any mention of it and looking at it again, now; I still don't see mention of sibilance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7032
Not for use with a system that is unforgivingly bright.

Super zero's and a Panasonic xr57 receiver?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4628
Perhaps the Panny but if you're talkin' about the NHT Super Zero's, the only way I can imagine them being bright is if you didn't bring an amp with serious current (the Panny). I owned Super One's and Zero's, didn't have enough power. With an appropriate power amp those are some mighty fine speakers.

Bronze Member

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 18
Art: Did you try the Van den Hul stuff on your Apollo? Have you tried the Van den Hul speaker wire also? I am using older Audioquest cables now and am wondering about upgrading? I don't want to spend a bunch of money for a different sound but could justify "more musical" a sound, if that makes any sense. Rick Grinstead

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4645
Check my profile Rick. I use van den Hul "The Orchid" from the Apollo to the Mira 3 ($549.00 per 1 meter set) and van den Hul D-352 Hybrid speaker cable. I tried a whole bunch of different cable both expensive and cheap and these were by far the best. I tried Kimber, Analysis Plus, Chord, Gut wire and the van den Hul just works. The Kimber PK10 power chord for the Mira 3 and the van den Hul Mainserver power cord for the Apollo were also quite a revelation. Sounding MUCH better than it was before these additions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7106
OK so I got an Apollo.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1817
Welcome to the club. Maybe we should name it People of the Sun?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7143
Louis XIV.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1818
Just sent you an e-mail Nuck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7147
Gracias, Stu.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4667
Nuck's a Rega man too....contagious ain't it!!!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4672
I remember we had a regular poster named Sun King.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7184
Louis the 14th.
Remember him well.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 364
Nuck,

Have you tried the Apollo in your various scenarios?

First impressions?

As this is the Apollo thread so my answer to your next question is that I am still burning it in and taking notes along the way. Might well start a new thread for that one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7191
Mike, I listened upstairs on the tube setup, did not try on the Classe, I left before nightshift was up. I left the Apollo running against the preamp, though.
I will get all the ducks in a row next weekend, after the Winnipeg job.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Welcome To The Rega Apollo Club, Nuck!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7192
Than you, than you vera much!

Glassboro , NJ USA

Post Number: 5
I thought for sure I was going to join the Rega club..but after comparing it to a few CDP's a little more expensive, I found they were a bit better.( the new Cambridge 840C for $1400 was one)
I decided on the Musical Fidelity 3.5 and it's a wonderful machine.
It just makes my Energy speakers "sing".
Even though it's listed for $1700( $2400 in UK) it's available for $1400 thru dealers.
But there 's this great dealer in GA that sold it to me for $1090.
He sells only high end equipment and his prices are great on all types of merchandise.

Next time you buy ANYTHING, check him out.

Walter Liederman
Underwood Hifi
voice-770-667-5633
fax-802-609-1893

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
An excellent referral, Bob. Mr. Liederman also does excellent modifications that are deffinately worth the price.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Post Number: 51
Has anyone had trouble with the Apollo freezing? It's done so 4-5 times in the two weeks I've had it so far.

Today it stopped responding completely...The CD was still spinning and music playing, but the display was stuck on the same time and pressing stop did nothing. I even opened the lid and the disc continued to spin, so I had to turn it off completely.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7214
Josh, it can have fits. Go slow with the buttons.

Username: Vacanuck

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 6
Josh - what is the serial number of your unit?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7216
Could be an older one.

Username: Vacanuck

Waynesboro, Virginia

Post Number: 7
The Apollo I purchased a month ago had similar problems. As it turned out, the particular unit I bought was originally shipped to the dealer in January of 2006. As I understand it, a small percentage of the Apollos manufactured around this time had issues.

I've since been shipped a fresh unit and all is good - really good! Love this CD player.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4701
Yep Josh, such is the beast. It occassionally loses it's mind. I have 2 discs that it won't play at all. Indexing issues that it won't read. Most of the time a little patience will get you past it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7222
Hey, I get screwy once in a while too, but my wife is trained in screwy.

It happens.

Don't ff or rw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7223
We bought the thing to listen to, why would we ff or rw anyhow?
I listen to the whole cd or song.

That said...

My corvette is a little balky going from 2nd to 3rd.
So what?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4703
Actually Nuck it most often loses it's mind when I go to start a disc. Still, it isn't often.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 371
Nuck,

You actually get it out of 1st?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7240
My bad, should have read 'my vette'.

Cor and Chev are so close...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I'll check the serial number, but it should be very recent...I had to wait for a few weeks until the Sound Organization could get another shipment.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 277
hello hello! I just recently purchased the venerable Rega Apollo and then stumbled upon a great priced, like new Jolida hybrid JD1501RC integrated amp- it has the Electro Harmonix 12AX7 tubes in it's pre-amp section. I know nother about tubes, but decided to give this unit a try. It was an improvement to the Cambridge Audio 640Av.1 that I recently sold on A-Gon along with the 540D player. Yes, Stu, I have graduated beyond the Cambridge gear in my quest for sonic nirvana. I am also running Era 5's on stands and a Hsu Sub VSF 2 MkII sub - Kimber Silver Streaks from the cd to the integrated and Shunyata Venon power cables on everything. Speaker cables are Unity Solid's from Canada. What do you all think of this set-up? Methinks that I'm not sure about the Jolida hybrid- I don't know...I am looking at NAD 352, 372 the 162/272, Creek Classic 5350 SE, Moon Integrateds, Exposure, etc. What would you all do?????????

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 65
Uback, I have a friend who knows a lot about tubes. He builds and repairs guitar amps and is in the process of building two monoblocks for a stereo system. I'll ask him about the Electro Harmonix tubes.

Bronze Member

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 20
UBack007: I have Apollo matched up with Hybrid: DK Design VS1 Ref.MKII with VonSchweikert VS2's and for my ears, it is very musical and the best I have had for 20 years and thousands spent to boot. This combo for me is very synergistic. I try to listen critically and I get lost in the music!! Check out: www.audioasylum.com and go to FAQ and search: Joe's Tube Lore. Loaded with 12AX7's, etc. with different sounds from different manufacturers.(tube rolling). Also check out: www.tubeworld.com/12AX7.htm (Good luck). Sounds like you have a great system. Enjoy the music. Rick Grinstead

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1852
"I am looking at NAD 352, 372 the 162/272, Creek Classic 5350 SE, Moon Integrateds, Exposure, etc. What would you all do?????????"

Uback, it depends on your taste. IMO, NAD isn't at the same level as the others. Maybe the seperates, but not the intergateds. I own NAD and like what it does, so this isn't bashing. I also don't like Jolida. I don't know exactly what it is, but they just don't sound right to my ears.

To my ears, Creek, SimAudio (Moon), and Exposure (I've only heard one once, so take that as you will) will have a pretty good synergy with the Apollo. If you like the presentation of these, you may also want to check out Naim, Bryston, and Densen. Bryston and Densen intergateds are a little difficult to find on Audiogon and usually sell pretty quickly. Naim integrateds are usually a little easier to find.

The safest bet used of everything listed would have to be Bryston. They've got a 20 year transferrable warantee, meaning that you'd get the balance of it. If going this route, you should check the serial numbers with Bryston to confirm the length of warantee left and make sure that the particular piece is still covered.

Also, if going the Bryston route, you could get seperates if you're lucky. The 2B LP and some older pre-amps can go for a very good price. Again, confirm with serial numbers.

Oh yeah, with gear like this, forget about power ratings. If you think Cambridges are under rated, these things are far beyond it. The only used piece that may be a touch under powered if your speakers are difficult, you have a big room, and want concert levels are older Naims. The Nait 5i will provide plenty of drive, but the Nait 5 and lower have less power.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 384
Uback,

I had the Creek 5350 SE with the Rega Apollo about a year ago. Didn't match up that well IMO. I had a Rotel CD changer which was more laid back and the Creek was fine with it. The Creek as too,,,, um, detailed(?), to me for the Apollo. When I moved to a tube pre-amp the Apollo was much happier. Hope this helps.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1855
Interesting observation Mike. I haven't heard them specifically together, so you'll get no arguement from me. From hearing them both seperately, I figured they'd be a good match. Just goes to show you need to hear stuff together to make a final decision.

Uback - I don't call myself Stu Pitt for nothing...
The best match for the Apollo in my ears is the Rega Mira 3 or Brio 3. I don't know why I forgot to mention this before. If you like what the Apollo does, you should make it a point to hear it with at least a Rega intergated. An all Rega system will best show what Rega had in mind when they were designing the Apollo. Judging by Rega's design goals, I'm assuming that they start with a source and design/build their systems from there. Not a bad approach. They seem to design every component with the whole system in mind.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7332
And there is a LOT to be said for that synergy, or the synergy from any other system designed to work together. Be it Naim, Rotel/B&W, whatever, the guys at the factory have done the legwork...do you like what they bring?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 278
Stu, Nuck,
I friend of mine owns a shop and when I bought my Apollo from him- he had it set-up with the Mira integrated. He also had some Nuforce Monoblocks along with the NAD 352. Yes, Stu, I concur with you about the Mira and Apollo being synergistic together- However, taking into regards ineffecient loudspeakers, such as the Era'5's which I brought with me that day- I have to wonder if the Mira is such a great match with with those kinds of speakers. I know their reported 61wpc is probably a pretty conservative rating, I have to wonder what would be the best match??? We also listened to the system using the 352 as a pre and the Nuforce monos doing the amplication, and that really sounded good. On another note, last night, I read some great stuff about the Unison Research Unico 80 wpc hybrid. The search goes on! This hobby is a blast!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7341
Uback, check out the footwork on active XO's going on.
No efficiency issues after that.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 279
Nuck,

I don't understand "footwork on active XO's going on"

"I'm just a caveman and your technology confuses me!" -Phil Hartman SNL 1995-

Gold Member

Post Number: 7342
Sorry, Uback, up in amps, we have a short discourse on bi-amping, leading(correctly) to active crossovers.
A few links there to be had,I am beginning to be a believer.
Many speaker issues disappear whan ditching the passive crossovers of the speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us