Is this the best deal in town?

anony mous
Unregistered guest
I am just now looking into buying a receiver and want to get a good deal.. I've noticed some price fixing like for instance the Denon 4806 is priced in one of two categories $3500 from an authorized dealer or $2500 from unauthorized dealers or $2500 for refurbs (through authorized dealers). So I come to those with more experience for some answers.

1. Is it safe to buy these refurbs? Any experiences?
2. Are the "other guys" selling refurbs or new? Where do they get their stock?
3. Since Denon warranties don't cover purchases from the unauthorized sellers, what risks are there.
4. Who would you guys buy from?

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 336
I have a Marantz receiver and NAD CD that are refurbs purchased from authorized dealers. They work fine and have factory warranties. Make sure your purchases are from authorized dealers listed on the manufacturer's website. Otherwise, if problems occur you will pay the full amount for repairs.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3559
$2500-3500 will buy you some separates which will easily surpass any AVR.

I'd look at outlawaudio.com --- especially their monoblocks.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 772
Sure some separates are better than many receivers, but I bet that this Denon unit surpasses most preamplifiers at this price, not to mention the amplification thrown in.

Most separates are made by companies that don't have the economies of scale by companies like Denon. Not to mention that they have 2 separate boxes and more connections to make between them.

Denon throws in THX Ultra2 certification, Audyssey MultiEQ speaker balancing for up to 8 listening positions, has pre-outs for extra amplification in different zones, 3 HDMI inputs/1 output, DVI HDCP, RS-232 for software updates, 2 firewire, Denon-link, XM radio, and has 100 mhz video which can pass clean to 1080p. It has been tested as having 115 watts/channel with all 7 channels driven and is usable to 3.2 ohms and 2-channel at 182 watts/channel--very good power. It's preamp section has a very powerful 6.34 volts RMS. It can upconvert any analog video source to its HDMI output and also performs video switching. There aren't any pre-amps that give you this much performance and top drawer technology at this price, not to mention having the very good amplification thrown in.

It is fairly expensive and it is still a great value for those looking for a receiver that can take them far into the future with little missing technology.

I would get it from an authorized dealer with the latest software updates for SACD and try and get a 20% discount.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 416
Gregory, the advantage of having seperates in the first place is the seperation of the preamp and amplifier stages. This is where many noise problems occur. Video switching is a bonus in a receiver/prepro but in my opinion this is best done through display as it keeps the video signal path as short and direct as possible without subjecting the signal to insertion loss,although little, and keeps it away from other circuitry inside the unit which may induce noise due to the close proximity inside the unit. For about $2K their are several preamps as well amps that are a cut above in performance of a flagship receiver,I will agree with you though, the Denon is a fine unit. For about $4K, you can certainly get into the Outlaw components, and better still you can get into the B&K,and Parasound components,possibly even their highly acclaimed Halo series components, which no receiver will match in performance at any price.

Anonymous

Well I'm new to all this and want to get in with a pretty good system that I can grow into. I haven't gotten into separates because it's easier for me to research one component than get into details for several.

My primary usage will be for movies and gaming, not much into the music aspects of things.

So these shops have room to negotiate? They are told to sell for msrp?

So where do the unauthorized shops get their stock? I went to a local BestBuy/Magnolia center and they are selling Denon products though I didn't see them on the authorized list.

Anonymous

"My primary usage will be for movies and gaming, not much into the music aspects of things. "

What other receivers have you looked at? Have you listened to any? What source/speakers are you planning to pair this receiver with.

"So where do the unauthorized shops get their stock?"

Likely wholesalers looking to dump excess stock.

"I went to a local BestBuy/Magnolia center and they are selling Denon products though I didn't see them on the authorized list. "

Call Denon and ask?

Melrose
Unregistered guest
> My primary usage will be for movies and gaming, not much into the music aspects of things.

Good God man, you don't need to spend more than say $400-500 for THAT.

Username: Ragged

Post Number: 2
Not to thread jack, but I'll sell you a yamaha htr-5890. If you're interested see my thread.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/192036.html

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 778
Many unauthorized resellers get their products from authorized sellers. They are often able to buy a few units at 5-15% above the authorized dealers cost and then give a mark-up. Many sellers are authorized for certain products and not others--hence they often have relationships with other sellers that have the products they don't. Often this is a symbiotic relationship where they send the other dealer products that they are authorized for and get back ones that they don't have direct purchasing on.

Of course there is also the "gray" market--goods that are purchased in other countries and sold in another country. Often these items are the same, but occassionally they have differences--particularly due to the electric service in the country they were designed to be sold in.

Gray market goods are not counterfeits; however, differences may exist between these goods and those goods produced for American sale. Some of these differences may involve warranty coverage or compliance with US regulatory requirements. The effect of this parallel system is that similar goods are available in the US at different prices. US Customs regulations permit the importation of gray market goods with one exception. This exception protects the trademark holder in its contractual agreement with those firms which the trademark holder chooses to allow to manufacture its goods on the condition that the foreign manufacturer promises not to import the goods in the US. Otherwise, the parallel importation of gray market goods is permissible.

Many resellers offer their own warranty with items they sell (usually at a price), or often one can purchase a warranty from various firms.

The risk is you aren't likely to get any handholding with questions from a certified dealer or maybe even from the manufacturer. Service from manufacturers often depends on how much they want to dissuade gray market or unauthorized purchasing or whether they view it in their best interests to help any customer with their products.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us