Matching Magnepan MMGWs with Energy or Polk Satellites?

Anthony Rogers
Unregistered guest
I'm planning on getting a pair of Magnepan MMGWs to run as front L/R and also a Marantz SR5500 receiver to power them. I'll probably try to also save up so that I can get the MMGC ultimately, so that all three speakers will be voice matched across the front. However, the Marantz SR5500 is able to output in 7.1 using DSP. I'd like to get a set of satellites for the rears and surrounds.

My primary application for the surrounds will be for movies, although I have been buying some multichannel SACD and DVD-A music lately. My main reason for wanting the Magnepans is for listening to music, although routine everyday use is watching DirecTV.

I've been reading about the Energy Take 5.2 and the Polk RM6700. They both appear to be highly rated and relatively affordable, as compared to buying more MMGWs. (I also don't have the space for MMGW surrounds!) I know that as surrounds that voice matching won't be as important. However, would anyone have an opinion as to whether the Energy or Polk satellites would be a better match for the MMGWs?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 810
You're not going to get the most out of the Maggies running them off a SR5500 receiver - you really need a dedicated power amp to get their best. (200 watts a channel min IMO) The 5500 will be suitable for low to moderate music listening, but you will need more juice it you want the Maggies to keep up with conventional speakers in a movie soundtrack.

Matching different speakers around a system I usually recommend avoiding. Matching drivers and planars will give very directional sound contrasting between the front and rear. If you plan on adding the MMGC down the line I'd recommend not using a centre until that time, as a conventional speaker will sound horrible in the middle of the Maggies soundstage in any format.

Anthony Rogers
Unregistered guest
Points well taken, Kano. Ideally, I'd run separates and not mix planers and drivers.

However, would anyone have an opinion as to whether the Energy or Polk satellites would be a better match for the MMGWs?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2637
Listen to Kano. I tried to put dynamic speakers into my Maggie system a couple of years ago. IT DOES NOT WORK! Both the Polk and the Energy speakers will not sound good with the Maggies. They are both a poor match.

Bronze Member
Username: G_venk

Post Number: 14
If you intend to listen to music on its own a significant amount of time, do not count on the MMG-Ws for it. There are too bright and have very little low-end. The MMG-Ws are really not meant for music. They need a subwoofer which is easy to match for HT use. But you will spend serious dollars for getting a subwoofer that will match for music use and it will still be unsatisfactory.

Also the MMG-C has not had the best reviews. There is very little advantage for the Maggie design for the center channel and the curved design they have to provide dispersion sort of works but not ideal.

The optimal configuration if you want to use Maggies in my opinion is...

A Pair of MMG-Ws in series right next to the monitor on either side to serve as the center channel, a pair of MMG-Ws further out on the wall (or 2 MC1s if you can afford it and want to listen to music through them in Stereo mode or if you have space you can even use a pair of MMGs) as L+R, a Velodyne or a Hsu subwoofer for a minimal 3.1. If you want surround speakers, you can get any of the highly recommended ones. Matching the remaining 2- or 4- is not that critical, once you have matching front set up since they don't contribute to the front staging.

A receiver with auto equilization will help greatly in matching front and surround speakers.

The MMG-Ws are not difficult to drive (you don't really need a 200W separate amp) but the receiver shouldn't be too bright and should have some headroom (if not actually rated for 4ohms). A marginal powered receiver in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup is not a good idea when using the Maggies. Look for a honest 75+W/ch per channel multi-channel receiver that can drive 4ohm loads.

You can start with a 2.1 with a pair of MMG-Ws in the beginning. But you won't like them for just music.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 481
that isn't necessarily true...

I myself have heard them in 2 channel format, with a MartinLogan groto subwoofer, and thought they performed very admiably for the price of the speakers. Now, mind you, I have a pair of MMG's, so I may be a tad biased, and the fact that they were paired with an amazing sub that cost 3 times what the speakers did helped out quite a bit too.

my point is this...

they CAN work for 2 channel, but you are going to spend quite a bit on a blazing fast sub to mate with them. HSU research and SVS don't apply here, they can't match the maggies speed.

Anthony Rogers
Unregistered guest
Thanks for everyone's advice. I really appreciate the different feedback. I think what I'll end up doing is try the MMGW's and maybe some other speakers and just see how they sound to me and in the living room. Thanks again!

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 488
if you do this...be sure to get the temporary mounting brackets as well.... these aren't speakers that you can just plunk down for great sound.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 813
Post your impressions of how the system performs if you get a chance.

Anthony Rogers
Unregistered guest
Ok, will do.

I'm now looking at getting the Marantz SR7500 or HK AVR635 to power just pair of MMGWs and to see how they sound. If it sounds okay, then I'll go from there, with regard to the center and surrounds. I guess part of the fun/experience is listening and experimenting. Thanks again!

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 497
be sure you have at least 50 to 60 HONEST watts of clean power to those MMGW's !!!!!

Anonymous

Well I just received my 4 MMGWs and a MMGC with a HSU VTF2 MK2 I will power it with a Yamaha HTR 5990 . I will hook it up tis weekend and let you khow how it sounds

Anthony Rogers
Unregistered guest
So, I found a good deal on the Marantz SR7500 and ordered it. I'll order a pair of the MMGW speakers soon and see how it all sounds. If they need more power, then I'm thinking about getting a pair of Outlaw M-2200's.

How did the MMGW, MMGC, HSU, and Yamaha setup go?

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 253
The SR-7500 should give you enough grunt. Their power ratings are much closer to the specs than older models. I have an SR-7300 and even that delivers plenty of power in both 2 and multi channel. But, if the Maggies (which I am unfamilar with) are low impedence (4ohms) then the Marantz may not be suitable. 8 or 6ohm speakers only are recommended I believe.

David Odell
Unregistered guest
How did the MMGW, MMGC, HSU, and Yamaha setup go?
After much tweeking of the maggies and the Hsu sub( make sure you can set the Ohms to at least 6 and the crossover at 100 on your amp) I am happy to report that this system kicks. The maggies are so bright allows you to turn the sub way up and still not lose any mids or highs. I mounted them higher than recommended do to the fact I do a lot of listining while standing up I have turned the system up as loud as I can stand, without blood coming out my ears, with no distortion As far as home theater I just received my HP md5880 and it ties in perfectly. The real good part is the wife likes the wall mounts I don't think I could have done any better for under 10k

Anonymous

That's great to hear! I'm glad that your setup went well.

I'm really excited about getting mine set up. The receiver arrived today, and I'm waiting for the pair of speakers to arrive on Monday. I even ordered a few new music DVDs in anticipation. (The wife is a bit dubious about the speakers based on some photos that I showed her, but hopefully she'll like them once they're set up. Apparently, she didn't get the memo on the high WAF score of the MMGWs."

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 590
um... the speakers are the size of window shutters...

hate to break it to you but anyway you slice it... you can't exactly hide them

Anthony Rogers
Unregistered guest
Well, they were her Valentine's Day gift to me, so she can't hate them that much! Anyway, they're arriving early, on Friday, so I'll post after I get them set up and give them a listen.

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers

Anonymous

Got the receiver and MMGWs set up this past weekend. They sound great. Definitely a keeper.

As far as mixing and matching planars and drivers, it's a mixed experience. In comparison to the MMGWs, my center speaker sounds like mud, DCM KX Center. So I'm planning on getting an MMGC. (I'd run a pair of MMGWs as center, but just don't have the space.)

I have some small speakers in the back and they work okay for HT (some cheap ones I got from Wal-Mart). After I ran the auto-setup on the receiver and ran Video Essentials to make sure the sound was at the same level all the way around, it wasn't too bad. If space was an issue in the rear, I might just get a pair of Energy cubes. However for an extra $200, I might as well get another set of MMGWs for the rears when I can afford it.

As far as the sub, it works okay, Energy 8". But, I've had my eye on the sunfire subs. (Again, not much space). So maybe I'll get one after I round out the HT with maggies.

If the Marantz SR7500 can't handle 5 maggies, then I'll consider getting some Outlaw M-2200's. This is getting expensive!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Best regards,
Anthony Rogers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us