Very hard time choosing the right deck

Bronze Member
Username: Doug_b

Post Number: 12
So I've been doing as much research as possible in the past month or more, and I've only come to one conclusion, which is that I need to get a "budget" table, in order to test the waters, and see if I really intend on going vinyl crazy, or if I won't really like it as much as I think I will....

The tables I've been throwing around for comparison are :

Goldring 1.2

Music Hall MMF 2.1

Pro-Ject Xpression (MAYBE. It's out of the budget range a bit)

I've only heard a few things from people who don't actually own the former 2, and that makes this harder seeing as how specs can't tell you everything.

Please, if anyone owns any of the above mentioned decks, I'd reeeally appreciate your input and opinions. At J&R Music, they sell the Music Hall, which would be very convenient for me to get there. But should someone tell me that it's absolute crap, I'll stay away. Thanks.

Doug.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 676
Doug,

I used to own the MMF 2, the precursor to the MMF2.1. It's a competent tt, much better than the tables sold at Best Buy. However, it really doesn't convey the "magic" of vinyl imho. If I were seriously looking to get into vinyl I'd save up and get a used higher quality deck like a Rega P(lanar) 3 or a VPI 19Jr. If it turns out vinyl isn't your thing, these decks are fairly easy to sell on the used market.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 842
Doug -
Of the decks listed, the Pro-Ject 1Xpression is the best by a long shot. But it's also in a higher price bracket, and doesn't try to compete with them. The Pro-Ject Debut III is priced similar to the Music Hall and Goldring. I'd take the Debut III over the other two personally. I owned a Pro-Ject Debut III then traded up to the 1Xpression in the 30 day time period my dealer has. It's about $150 more than the Debut and worth every penny and then some. I can honestly say that it's the best audio purchase I've made. A better sounding deck is going to cost a lot more money. It's also very well made. Sorry to sound like a commercial.

I haven't much experience with the Goldring or Music Hall decks. I have heard the Music Hall and was less than impressed. I agree with 2 Cents about it lacking the ability to convey the "magic" of vinyl.

If you could find the VPI or Rega that 2 Cents mentioned on the used market for a good price, they may also be considerations. I have nothing against used gear as long as I know where it was coming from.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm in the process of trying to obtain a Rega P2 (last batch, with glass platter) for a very decent price, and will find out tomorrow wehether or not it's a go. The P3 is a bit out of my price range, for the time being, so I hope that the P2 is well regarded ?

Thanks agian,

Doug

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 843
Rega makes very good decks. The P2 is also sold as a NAD 533. You may be able to find it easier and/or cheaper this way. I think it uses an MDF platter. Maybe the Rega uses the glass and the NAD uses MDF, but I'm not sure. Also, many people have said that the 1Xpression sounds a little better than the P2. I personally haven't heard the P2. Rega decks (P2 included) do have more upgrade possibilities than the Pro-Ject decks do currently. This may change with time.
Sorry If I made this a little more difficult.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thank you Stu. Thankfully, my decision has been made, and I just purchased the P2 from Music Direct on a clearence for $445 which includes tax and shipping. They couldn't confirm if the platter was MDF or glass, but I'll find out in a few days.

Now I just have to choose a cartridge. I'm thinking Ortofon super 10 or the Sure M97XE at the moment.

If anyone has other ideas about cartridges, please don't hesitate to say what.

Doug

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1157
Doug, the latest (last couple of years) P2s have an MDF-like platter, not glass. We tend to recommend Ortofon 500-series cartridges with this deck, the cheapest being the 510, but you need a 2mm spacer under the arm to raise it to the right height and get VTA right. Rega's own cartridges are made at the right height for VTA, but I find them a bit harsh and noisy. Most other cartridges need at least one 2mm spacer.

regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks for the recommendations Frank. So, do you NOT suggest the Sure or the OM Super 10 then ? As for the platter, a couple of people have told me that the "last" batch of P2's made, have been so, with a glass platter, and the gentleman on the phone from Music Direct also implied the same thing a few days ago. Not sure if I believed him though.

I'll find out soon enough. If possible, I'd rather not mess with spacers and the likes, because as it is, I'm not familiar with the set up process, and would hate to have any problems because of a wedge.

Is the P2 a particularly troublesome deck when it comes to finding a cartridge that fits it properly ?

Doug

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 174
Its too late and maybe out of your budget range but the Pro-Ject Experience comes with a Ortofon Rondo Red for an unbelieveable £600 (The ortofon alone normally sell for ca £250). What hi fi has a mini review in the lates issue (with the caveat that is is "only" What Hi Fi and not a serious mag).

You could have considered a used LP12 and entered the Kingdom of Flat Earth. What a fantastic place it is too. Solid plinth decks all sound a bit to CD for my liking, usually with albeit tuneful but somehow lacking in sheer slam in the lower registers that a well set up suspended deck does.

Silver Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 180
There are some excellent bargains here:
http://www.needles-and-spins.co.uk/pd_project_xperience.cfm

The RPM9X at £750 is also very tempting......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Too late yes, and WELL over my budget, considering that I'm only first getting into vinyl after YEARS of not having a deck. (I mean since I was a kid) Thanks for the suggestions anyway though.

I'm on to which cartridge I should get now.

Doug

Silver Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 184
The goldring 1012x is getting good reviews and is factory fitted to the similar Goldring GR2 deck. I am using the 1042 and its very good for a budget MM cartridge.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Guess who received a Rega P2 today ? Guess...come on....

That's right, moi ! It's beautiful, especially with its glass platter ! It actually came yesterday, but the stupid azz UPS guy went to the wrong building with the same apt. # ! I was so pissed, when I tracked it, to find that it said first attempt failed. I was like "whaaat ?" I was home all day waiting for it !

My door guy said he went to the wrong bldg ! Aaaanyway, I was out getting something at the store just now, and on my way back in, I saw the UPS guy, and decided to have a lil' chat, and pick up my package. So here I am, hungry as hell, and only concerned with one thing... My Rega ! It's really quite nice, and I can't wait until I pick up the cartridge. Which one though, is still up for debate. I might just get the Rega Bias 2, unless someone here has something to say about that ?

Doug

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2660
Congrats Doug. I hope you enjoy listening to music with your new table.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thank you sir Kyle, tis' my exact intention to do so ! I still have a bit to go before actually listening to anything though. First off, the receiver is still out of stock, so that won't help any.

Secondly, I still need a few basic things such as:

Speaker Cable (prety sure I'm going with Anti Cable)

Cartridge for Tonearm, and I think I'll just get the Rega Bias 2, unless anyone here has had experience with it and says it's crap, and worth it to mod using the Sure cart.

I'd like to get a wall mounted structure in order to hold the deck. Something like Rega sells for their tables.

I would like to get a new piece of furniture to hold the T.V./Receiver/DVD/CDP/ This is the final touch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us