JMLab716S or B&W602.5 S3 or Infinity Primus 360 - Hawk, speaker expert advise, please help

Unregistered guest
@Hawk:
I usually read your post in forum and you are expert in speaker, I think. Can you kindly advise me for speaker now?
I am now using MordauntShort MS30 (old model) and I now want to buy a new speaker. Through the distributors in my country (Vietnam), I am targeting in 3 speakers:
JMLab Chorus 716S (made in France): USD710/pair
B&W 602.5 S3 (made in UK): USD730/pair
Infinity Primus360 (made in Denmark): USD570/pair
Which one is reasonable for pop music, warm and clear voice? I can pay up to USD800. My room is about 30sqm with 2.6m heights. I am using Onkyo TX-SV434 receiver/amplifier with 55watt per channel. I am also thinking to upgrade receiver/amplifier to Marzant when finance is enough.

@all: Do you have any idea to help me because I have no experience in speaker. I only know these 3 brands in catalogue that distributors showed.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7181

Choose the Infinity for pop music.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
SDAT SB-E639D speakers www.overstock.com and do not forget to put some QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer on all your cables and speakers www.xtremeavllc.com

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7185

GOOD GRIEF, WAGNER!!!!! DID YOU SEE THAT BRAND LISTED IN HIS REQUESTS? STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME, WILL YOU, PLEASE?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 155
Although I am a B&W fan, the 602.5's are little more than 601's in a floorstander box and reviewers don't rate them well.

Wagner, you just can't help yourself can you - is it ADS or such you have?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4824
For cryin' out loud, Wagner! Nobody wants your enhancer...why don't you get a clue enhancer instead?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2631
I agree with Jan. For pop music with an Onkyo or Marantz receiver the Infinity speakers should be fine.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Jan and Art. I wonder the quality sound of Infinity Primus360 comparing with B&W 602.5 S3 and JMLab 716S ? Price value of Infinity is 78-80% of 602.5 and 716S, so speaker's quality of Primus360 is also 80-90% of B&W 602.5 and JMLab 716S. Is that right ?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7192

No. You're thinking too hard. Don't rationalize, just listen.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrbeefy

Post Number: 13
Onkyo receivers are usually bright aren't they? My JMLab 816s are pretty bright on a Musical Fidality, so I think pop wouldnt sound that good with that combo. It would probably come out quite fatiqueing.

Since you have 55watts, I dont think the B&Ws would be a great idea because they can suck alot of power.

I don't know alot about Infinity but I've heard some pretty good things; they would fill pop in pretty good I'd think.

The best thing to do would be try and find somewhere to have a listen.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7198

The Infinity's are several dB more efficient than the other two speakers so they should work well with the Onkyo. They also have a respectable sound with just a bit of thump. Their power handling is, from everything I hear, quite good so you can crank it up a bit when a song you like comes along. Get the Infinity and don't worry about the "quality" issue. The Infinity's benefit from Harman Group's speaker works which has Floyd Toole and dribble down technology from Revel. You'll thank me for the recommendation.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1364
J Pady Musical Fidelity and the JM labs work very well together,and yes I know what im talking about I sell both of them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1365
The Labs,would be his best bet the Chorus series are very efficient with a ton of detail with superlative dynamics,be careful when you dont have a lot of power when dealing with B&W,their specs dont tell the whole story all of them in every one of their lines dip under 4ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1153
I have to say I'm in danger of agreeing with Tawaun here. I dislike every Infinity I've ever heard - much too thumpy (sorry Jan), obvious cabinet resonance and just generally pretty nasty.

The B&Ws are ok, if no great shakes. The Focal JmLabs are the best speaker here. They're well made, very nice cabinets, excellent sound quality, great for pop/rock.

That said, are you running MS30's or MS30i's? I remember the MS30is and they are very good speakers. They're not very discreet, being a larger than usual standmount, but they have great presence and kick int he right system. I must say I think they need a bit more than the 55w/ch you're supplying at the moment. You might be better off looking there. If you really are running MS30s they're a lot older, nowhere near as good and worth changing for th emodels you're considering.

regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7210

Frank - I never suggested you might or should like the Infinity's. I suggested "Spring" might do best with them based on the bit of information we've been given. For the last twenty or more years I would have all but agreed with you on the majority of the Infinity line being boomy, thumpy and giving the general impression of a cheaply made speaker. Infinity is now under the Harman corporation's banner and they are hoping to rehabilitate the line as a contender once again.

Whether I would own them, however, has nothing to do with the question that was asked. Does it? As a rule I don't listen to Pop music so the speaker I might own is not very likely to be the speaker Spring should choose.

I made the recommendation based on the ability of the Infinity to make the most of the amplifier Spring owns or is likely to own. I considered which speaker of the three spec'd choices would best compliment the sound Spring is probably trying to get. And, finally, I made my decison based on the newest Infinity product line. Unlike the old Infinity's, the newest Primus line has many technical innovations, excellent value for the dollar for Spring's needs and have been getting good reviews from several sources. http://www.stereophile.com/searchresults/index.html?stype=X&terms=infinity+primu s&x=6&y=10

I have to admit I have not heard a pair of the 360's. I listened to the smaller Infinity's when Ultimate Electronics was in town (before becoming Ultimate Electronics Bust and quickly going out of business in Dallas). This was in the typical stacked to the ceiling and side walls, play it through a comparator showroom. The 360's only had one speaker that worked. From what I could ascertain the Primus line lives up to the reviews I've read.

Compared to the B&W's, which I would not recommend pairing with the Onkyo for several reasons, I felt the Infinity's the much better choice. Against the JML's I thought the Infinity would be the better option for Pop music for reasons I've stated above. Had Spring indicated an addiction to Van Cliburn, I might have made a different recommendation. I have no problem with your remarks concerning the JML's and would obviously suggest Spring try to audition both before making a decision. Since that seems impossible, Spring will have to deal with conflicting forum opinions and decide whose recommendation he wishes to go with.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1368
The Labs would still be better for rock,they are a lot quicker and cleaner than the Infinity with a sizable gap in the timing and rhythum department,and much tighter bass,they are just a better speaker.As far as not owning Infinitys,I would own some Overture 1s,2s,3s in a heartbeat one of the best speaker lines of all time,and my friend Steve in Cali has the big boys in the line above that costed about $25,000 and he is running woofer columns off of 2 Crowns,and the Panels off a big ol tubed Mac,with a Linn turntable with a Shure cartridge and it sounds pheanominal one of the best systems I've heard bar none even next to todays mega buck speakers and that design is about 20 years old.The Overtures were the only Infinity line that were really good when Harmon Int. had Infinty,im not sure if the monsters Steve has were when they had control of Infinity,I do know they came out a few years before the Overture.Any info on this Jan I always wondered that,but never researched that.

Unregistered guest
@Jan: Thank you for your idea. Infinity has 93db which comparing to JMlab (91.5db) and B&W (90db). So it may be good for small amplifier such my old Onkyo.
@All: Thank you for all of your recomendation. So I will try to find some place I can try to listen Infinity and JMLab before decision.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2641
I think TW and Frank misunderstood. For my ears the Infinity speakers are the worst of the bunch but would have better synergy with the Onkyo than any of the others.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1053
Geez, Art, the lesser of two evils?
Hardly a ringing endorsment.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7253

Yes, and as I pointed out to Frank, it's not our ears we're trying to please. Who out there listens to pop music predominantly? Answer; Spring.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1373
Most young teenage kids.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us