Can anyone identify these speakers?

Steelers Fan
Unregistered guest
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5852101931&fromMakeTrack= true

Also: Can anyone tell me anything about the NHT SB-3 loudspeaker? What type of sound does it have?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 38
Steelers Fan,

I have owned the NHT SB-3 for about 3 years. There is a Stereophile review here that describes the sound of them quite well.

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/721/

My own comments are that if you are looking for a bookshelf speaker with good bass (for its size) and very revealing midrange this is a good choice. But, they need a lot of good clean power to drive them, and you should mount them on solid stands at ear level for the best results. If you don't already have appropriate speaker stands, my suggestion is to look for the NHT ST-4 (I own these as well) which is a floor standing speaker. For about the price of the SB-3's and some good stands, the ST-4 uses the same drivers as the SB-3 and add an 8" side firing woofer. The ST-4's will take about the same amount of floor space as bookshelf speakers on stands. The sound of the ST-4 really opens up the bass and is a good step up from the SB-3.

At this time, the SB-3, ST-4 and the whole line of the NHT Super Audio speakers are being replaced by new models called the Classic series. So, depending on what you are looking for you could hold off and wait for the newer models or, try to get the last of the Super Audio speakers at closeout prices.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1040
ctanka, thanks a lot.
Would you consider the Alegria Emma, and/or Psb 25 in the ame group, or another comparison yet?

Steelers Fan
Unregistered guest
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D5852101931&fromMakeTrack=true

Here is that link again (I think it got scrambled).

Thanks for your input and the review Ctanaka

Steelers Fan
Unregistered guest
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5852101931&fromMakeTrack= true

Steelers Fan
Unregistered guest
In the link above (sigh), replace "%26" sign with an ampersand "&".

Then replace the "%3D" with an equals sign "=".

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1042
Is this a link for speakers or the roadmap for peace?@?@
Holy Moly, what a ride!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Steelers Fan,

I listened to PSB speakers when I was searching for my bookshelf speakers. The PSB's I listened to were not the Image B25's though. I think they were PSB Alpha's. It was a close call and I ended up with the NHT's, which I felt had better bass extension. I have not listened to PSB speakers since.

I also listened to some Polk Audio speakers, but they were not what I was looking for.

I have not heard the Alegria Emma's though others on this forum who have, speak very highly of them.
Look for posts by ecoustics member "Timn8ter" as he is Emma's designer and frequents these forums with great insight into his designs as well as audio advice in general. Post to a new thread with specific questions about the Emma and he will likely respond.

Also, take a look at Jan Vigne's review of the Emma's below.

!!! WARNING !!!
Should only be viewed late at night with the doors locked and the shades drawn.
!!! WARNING !!!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/186180.html

Steelers Fan
Unregistered guest
This forum doesn't seem to like links to EBAY. For anyone that can log into ebay, do a search for "mcintosh supper". Don't laugh, they meant to say "super". Anyway, you have to (now) click on the completed sales button and this amp will come up mated with a nice set of bookshelf speakers. I've seen the speakers before, but can't remember the brand name.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Steelers Fan/Nuck,

Sorry, I got confused and thought I was responding to SF's posting. Nuck, I'm sure you've already read Jan's review.

The descriptions of the Emma's sound are quite interesting in that they are similar to the SB-3's in bass capability: relatively deep bass from a small speaker. In size, the Emma's are a bit larger all around.

Emma: 17 inches tall, 11 1/2 inches deep, and 9 inches wide

SB-3: 13"H x 8"W x 10"D

The SB-3 has a sealed cabinet. No ports anywhere (acoustic suspension?), and the drivers are inverted with the tweeter below the woofer. I read somewhere that the inverted arrangement is done as a cheaper alternative to time align the drivers. Putting the tweeter below the woofer when the top of the speaker is at ear level puts the tweeter further away from the listener's head in the sweet spot. Anyway, I have listened to them with the speakers "upside down" and they do sound different. I only left them that way for a short time because they sound better in their normal orientation. They also sound worse with the grill covers off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Steelers Fan,

I got to the link on ebay. Sorry, I can't place them either. They look familiar, but then, there are a lot of speakers that have this look.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us