Wire a subwoofer speaker into a tower speaker?

Username: Alucardfoseye

Post Number: 1
im lookin for extra kick in my audio system and i dont have the money to buy a subwoofer system itself. is there any way possible to wire up, say a 7 or 8 inch, sub into a tower speaker using the same connections to the tower? im prepared to remove the extra woofer i have in the tower if needed for power.

Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 9
Towers use built-in crossovers to split and send the correct frequencies to each speaker, wether it's a two, three, or four-way. You can connect the sub to the existing tower but not through the existing crossover because it would throw off the ohm rating. A couple of ways you can use the sub:
1. Send the output from your amp to a passive subwoofer/satelite crossover; sending the sub output directly to your subwoofer and the satelite out to your tower. You could install the sub into the tower enclosure but make sure it has its own connection. Also be warned that this may change the sound of the other speakers as well. A better option may be to install the sub(s) in their own enclosures. This will keep the channel's ohm rating close to the normal 8-ohm load.
2. You can install the sub in the tower's enclosure with a seperate connection (or in its own box) but install a low-pass crossover after the speaker terminals and before the connection to the speaker. Be mindful that because you are sending the one output to two different speakers, the ohm rating for that channel will be closer to 4 ohms so make sure you amp can handle it.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 625
I would not reccomend doing this as subwoofers require their own custom built enclosures to perform as you wish. If you put a sub in an enclosure that is too large (as the tower may be) you risk blowing the subwoofer, or damaging your amp, because there will not be enough resistance behind it.

Air behind a woofer acts as a spring, and if you lessen the tension on that spring (put it in too large an enclosure) you have a recipie for disaster.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us