Need help with buying LOUD speakers

Username: Mikez

Post Number: 1
I am looking to buy a set of speakers that I can abuse. I listen to Slayer, Lamb of God, Pantera, ect. I will be putting these in my basement and want them to be able to handle the heaviest stuff I have at high volumes. I was looking at the MTX AAL212's, but also know of Cerwin Vegas being similar. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks,

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 664

Where is Paul when you need him!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4808
Any of those choices will work.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1031
What power source do you have Mike?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4813
Check out professional speakers like peavey, jensen, fender. These bad boys can take the best a roadie can dish out.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 477
I would also throw klipsch lascalas and heresys in there as well.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7175

I agree with Berny. Head to the local pro sound shop and tell them what you expect from a speaker. Ask about powered monitors that will include an amplifier designed to take the abuse and make the most of the speaker's ability to go loud.

Most home audio speakers are not designed with abuse in mind. This is a point that will be made clear to you when you return with your second blown driver. The first is typically honored as a warranty claim. After the second time you have destroyed the speaker, the basic purpose of a home speaker will be explained as they hand you the bill for repairs.

Do remember that absorbing abuse and being accurate are antithetical goals. Fortunately for you, accuracy of reproduction is not a prerequisite to the music you enjoy.

Head to the pro shop. Loud is their middle name and abuse is their game.

Post Number: 2
Nuck, I have an old Denon DRA425R that I will be using. I also went ahead with the MTXs, I found them on the net for a good price. I plan on getting a new power source too. Any suggestions on something that will power the MTXs well. I wont be playing movies or using surround...just music.

Also, thanks to the others for your posts.

Post Number: 3
Jan Vigne...I actually looked into that (Per Berny's post). I start pharmacy school this year and will be in for 5 years, so my budget is limited. Like posted above, I went with the MTXs, but I did drool over some of the professional equipment I saw. That purchase will definitely be made in a few years when I have a little more money to play with. Thanks a lot for your post.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us