Placing monoblocks very near the speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 20
Will it really make any differene? Anyone experiment? I have my PrimaLuna 70W blocks on teh rack with 3M speaker cables because that's what I had.

Pets & small children may cause problems with the amps on the floor near the speakers.

I'd also have to buy new speaker cable and loooong interconnects which sure aren't cheap. OTOH, this is a $9K system and I do want to get the most out of it. Sounds fabulous as it is.

Sorry about all the new "question" threads. I'm done now.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7142

Assuming the pre amp's output impedance is sufficiently low to drive long cables and the cables are not too high in capacitance or inductance, then the generally agreed upon set up for monoblocks is long interconnects and short speaker cables. There are always exceptions to this rule. Passive pre amps are typically unable to drive long cables as well as active pre amps. The new generation of autoformer based passive units are changing this to some extent.

Make sure the speakers will not cause microphonics in the tube amplifiers. This will probably require some sort of amplifier stand and an isolation system. A sand box is usually a good idea or float the amps on an air suspension system.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1144
If it sounds fabulous as it is and it makes more sense domestically, I'd leave it where it is. 3m is pretty short anyway so the improvements, if any, would be marginal.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us