Sound quality of separates vs. integrated amp

Bronze Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 19
Is there a consensus that a separate pre/power amp setup generally gives superior sound quality over an integrated amp? Why?

My thought has long been that the separate power supplies are an advantage as is reduced internal noise. RF from the power section could easily influence the component in the line stage and so on. But, perhaps these factors can be managed to the point of being "no issue". And of course there are many other factors that will affect the sound of any amplifier setup.

I'm no EE and would like to hear the technical perspective of somebody more knowledgable if possible. Would be a very interesting discussion.

~Paul

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7141

Recently the integrated amplifier has once again been elevated to desirable component status. There are reasons for and against anything in audio. I'll repeat for those who've not seen me put it in print; in audio, for everything I give you with one design, I will take away two things that are just as beneficial. It's all a balancing act between playing up the strong points of a system and down playing the negatives.

An integrated amplifier doesn't require interconnects between the pre and power amp sections. The connections are minimized in length and become a known factor ro the designer. The input and output voltages and impedances are a constant and the disgner doesn't have to worry about making a universal product. All of the above are positives when discussing a system approach.

Bronze Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 21
Jan,

Thx for the reply. That is largely what I was thinking.

Of course, I guess, for valve amps on the more powerful side the cheer size of the chasis required might make an integrated impractical. My PL 7 monos would make one monster together with an active pre stage in one box.

I didn't know you wrote for a printed publication (but not surprising). Where can I find your stuff?

~P

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 673
It's more practical then you think...

http://www.vac-amps.com/Phi_Beta.htm

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7146

When I said "in print", I meant on this forum. The phraseology is one of several that I found myself repeating over and over to clients during the time I spent selling audio products.

When you look back on the history of integrated amplifiers the wattage of most tube based power sections was relatively low. As 2c has pointed out, and as I have stated on the forum, nothing succeeds like excess.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1143
Don't forget that with an integrated you also don't have to factor in the cost of two cases, and two boxes, and therefore the cost of carriage virtually halves in the process.

That said, the integrated suffers from more crosstalk in both pre and power amp sections due to the close proximity of the various sections of the amp. This introduces shielding which you wouldn't otherwise need in the separates scenario. Eventually where money is no object, you're better off separating the two halves of the amp. However, in anything but a money-no-object scenario, the choice between pre/power and integrated is always a compromise between costs and performance. The performance envelope has been pushed a lot further in recent times so now we get fabulous integrated amps up to £5000 ($9000) where ten years ago integrateds stopped at about the £1500 ($2700).

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 675
The VAC Phi Beta integrated amp retails for $19,000. But you'll save on interconnects.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us