Sony ES any good

Bronze Member
Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 12
Hello,

I have a Sony STRDE875 receiver and I am looking at their ES line of receivers. I get 40% to 60% off Sony products. So would going to the ES line be a big jump in sound? I can get the 2100ES for about $400 USD. I do about 50/50 music and movies

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7140

It's better than sharp stick in the eye.

No, I take that back. It is a sharp stick in the eye.

But, for $400, what else do you have to choose from?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 403
Loren: Other than portable and car, Sony should get out of the audio business and stick to what they do best, making a tv. Your money is better spent on HK,Denon and Marantz,which are easily affordable for the quote you gave.

Bronze Member

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 13
But I get 50% off most Sony products!

Anonymous

the top of the line digital ES receivers are actually pretty good, and the ES cd/dvd/sacd players are decent.

just don't buy any speakers or sub from them.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 150
"But I get 50% off most Sony products!"

Then buy it!

Why ask for advice in the first place?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 411
I'll agree partially with you there anon. The ES CD/DVD players are decent but some of them cost over $2K, there are better players out there for this amount of money. As far as their receivers go from what I have examined inside of non/ES, and ES receivers the build quality is only marginally better, not very noticable like the difference between regular Pioneer and Elite.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7180

"But I get 50% off most Sony products!"

Exactly, that was the point of my answer. You will get 50% less sound quality with Sony ES.

No, I take that back. 50% might be a bit of exageration. There are some Sony audio products that are not a waste of money. They are few and far between, however. The issue here would seem to be just how much you value sound quality over a discount. If the idea of getting a "deal" is what you are after, you've wasted our time with your question since you had already made up your mind when you posted and were only hoping for a validation of your decision. Which you didn't get.

On the other hand, if you just are not as picky about what you own as those of us who contribute to an audio forum, then the Sony product will do what you require. Obviously they stay in the audio business so someone thinks they are good enough for their needs. If that fits your description and you get a discount to satify your conception of how to buy products, then go ahead and ignore what we've suggested.

You might want to go listen to the Sony line and decide for yourself instead of asking a severly biased opinion from the likes of us. Your ears should decide not our opinion or your wallet. But, that's just my opinion.

Bronze Member

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 14
The reason I asked is I have been up grading my system for the last couple of months. I get a good discount on Sony prouducts and if I had to pay full retail for them I would get something else. I will go to tweeter and listen to some receivers but for $400USD what should I look at? So for $400 I can do better! It will be weird checking out a $1000 receiver and comparing it to $400 receivers!

My system now is this: Sony STRDE875, Sony DVP-NS70H, Polk RTI4 fronts, Polk CS3 center, Polk RC60i rears and HSU STF-2.

I have up graded all my speakers from bottom line polks (R-10) and the sound I get now is just great from what I had!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7201

Then my first question would be; if the system is great right now, why upgrade what you have? Are you trying for more than great? I ask the question in all seriousness. If you like the sound you now have, what are you expecting will change when you change the receiver? What exactly are you after that you don't think you already have when it sounds great?

Bronze Member

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 15
well if just getting better speakers made my system 10X better and I know my receiver is not that great so moving to a better one would put me closer to audio heaven.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3530
Loren,

for your 50% music listening, adding a dedicated CD player will be a noticeable improvement, especially this Marantz:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARCC4300

As for your $400 receiver if you want to stick with analog this would be a good choice:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5500

Though personally I would give this a try first:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E1YPW

People just like to call the Panny "digital" in order to distinguish it from your typical huge clunky boat-anchor analog receiver especially for newbies who are not aware of the difference and might judge a receiver merely by its weight.

Here's some more on the technology:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tas5076.html

And TI's original news release on it from 3 years ago:

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/tex/tex283.html

Some other forums and threads on this receiver:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6492921#post6492921

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7205

From your answer I can only conclude you want your system to sound "better". Do you have no ideas about how it will sound better? How can your system sound great if you concede your receiver is not great? Do you have any ideas about what needs to happen to achieve this end result of improving your system? Other than changing equipment, that is. What needs to change in the sound of the system to make it better?

Username: Roberts

Redmond , WA USA

Post Number: 3
Jan, how come you always come across as pompous arrogant? Please respect other people.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 838
Did it take you 33 days to muster the courage?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 659
the reason is because we get sick of seeing people talk in circles. You need to be here longer than 3 posts to see this.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 660
for $400 I would reccomend taking a look at the lower end pioneer elite and Integra recievers.

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 27
Save your money and get a Sony STR-DA7100ES.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 699
I wouldn't waste my money on ANY of sony's recievers.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 395
Note: use of Sony recievers may cause, depression, general discomfort, headaches, dizziness, blurred or distorted vision, loss of balance, dry mouth, numbness, periodontal disease, lockjaw, tremors, heart palpitations, vericose veins, liver damage, hypokolemia, endocarditis, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, kidney failure, loss of hearing, loss of taste, loss of smell, loss of sight, early Alzheimers, unstable angina, acute left ventricular hypertrophy, chronic heart failure, cardiac arrest, and in EXTREMELY RARE cases, death.

Unregistered guest
Interestingly, I chucked my busted NAD T752 out a third story window at a terrorist; hit him in the head; mask and all are now 6 feet under.

Now, that's utility and the Patriotic thing to do.

Geeky, how goes it?

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 396
JAW: LOL! Now that was funny. I was hoping no one asked how you could "die" from a Sony receiver, and I would have mentioned something similar!

You are a true Patriot!

Unregistered guest
Let's not forget, NAD deserves at least some of the discredit.

Still love that moniker, still the classic.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, Fl

Post Number: 1322
Geekboy- It's nice to have you back! It's been a long time.

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 397
Rick: Thanks. I finally decided to change my location to Florida as well! I use to live in Orlando! Sold my house there last year! (Sorry for getting slightly off topic.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us