New system for $1600

Anonymous

I have a budget of around $1500 to $1600 for speakers, sub, and receiver for a new 5.1 channel home theater. I've been looking at these components and would like to know what you think about these and if there are other systems that would be better for the money. My room is about 15' by 25'. Front towers - Infinity Primus 360's, center channel - Infinity Primus C25, Sub - Infinity PS12, Surrounds - Infinity Primus 160's, Receiver - Denon ARV-2106.

Thanks!

Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 2
yamaha rx-v657 $360 receiver
b&w asw600 $400 sub
4 b&w dm601s3 $750 build ur own stands!
1 b&w dm60s3 $300 center
total price = $1810
shell out the extra 200 bucks and get the good stuff. this setup will own the infinity setup imo.

Username: Tlc2006

Post Number: 5
Jeff, where did you find the B&W 601's for that price? The local dealer here quoted me about $50 bucks more for those and slightly more than that for the center. Also, is the reciever from an authorized dealer for that price? The reason I ask is that this is about the same system I was looking at but your prices are better. Thanks.

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 5
yamaha rx-v657 www.dealtime.com/xPC-Yamaha_YamahaRXV657 $385.81 w/ tax and shipping
so the receiver online sight but all b&w obviously dealer prices. I was given the official b&w price guide by my dealer for the 600 series and he said i could get 15% off the msrp on any speakers in that range. i know my dealer very well as i am a good customer, but this doesn't really matter as they all are just there to make money, not get me a killer deal. bottom line dm601's $450 a pair, 15% off 375 a pair. lcr60s3 350 15% off 300. Heres what u do, go to ur local dealer, pick out a setup after some crucial listening with YOUR OWN CDS or audio parafanalia. DO not tell the dealer how much u have to spend on a system... from here, you find what u hear to be the best and if it comes out to 1900 bucks, u wave 1500 dollars around and u will most likely walk out with the equipment.

Username: Tlc2006

Post Number: 6
Thanks Jeff, it's funny you mention the 15% discount on the speakers because after some hem and haw about what to get, the salesman offered us a great deal of 15%, and claimed no other place would do that, LOL! I got basically the same items as you, 601, lcr60 and the sub. I do have a question for you, how do you like the 657 reciever? We listened to the Denon AVR_1096 but we really did not care for the sound, maybe it was the room we were in I'm not sure but they also offer the RX-v657 (which we did not hear) at their store so we are still on the bubble on what to get. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 68
I'm not sure B&W matches so well with the Yammie sound. It sure does with the Denon or Marantz.

You don't need 4 DM-601. The DM-600 will do the job for $350/pr (at least for the 2 surrounds).

If you use the 601, the LCR-60 might be a little thin. You might like to pick the more expensive LCR-600.

Since your budget is tight, an Ascend/Hsu 5.1 package, would also be a great value. The CMT-340 SE is an amazing speaker, as well as the Hsu sub.

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 10
TLC, i don't have that system, i just read anons post and his price range, and decided that in that price range this would be a good setup. I think the yammy is one of the best receivers out there at that price, and i also believe a denon would be a perfect match, but at a higher price. this system i suggest is simply for the price range that anon had given. i am however going to use the yammy for my secondary system which will consist of 602.5 fronts and 601 rears and cc6s3 center which will be similar, but i haven't done adequate listening with the yammy and b&w setup to come to a conclusion.
but the main point i wanted to make is that u don't ever purchase anything from an authorized dealer w/o critical listening and using common sense about hi-fi shops mark ups. these guys usually work on commission, if they sell u something at msrp or there retail price, they simply make more commission, if u bargain with them they will get less commission but it may still be worth it to them to get a little money outta ya :P

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 11
as far as jorge ribeiro's post, im sure he is more educated on hi-fi sound than me, im just a big b&w advocate, so listen to his advice and most importantly, listen for yourself and if your anything like me, you will fall in love with a particular brand of components or receivers as well as speakers and hopefully you will never second guess the choices you make about the equipment u use ;;

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1024
If you do not fall in love and have a long lasting and satisfying relationship with your audio setup, you might end up like me, Art, Dave or a dozen other members here.
Choose well, grasshopper(or have a line of credit).

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 290
hehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us