8ohm speaker to 10K amp input?

Username: Crimewatch

Post Number: 2
Hi Guys,

I'd be most grateful for any help:

I have a small two-way radio in the shed which has an 8ohm speaker output on the rear, for an external speaker.

I have a 100v line 30w P.A system around the yard, so I want to use that to get the radio audio. The Mic input on the rear of the PA amp is rated at 10K, (which I assume is 10,000 ohms??).
So basically I need a matching transformer to change the 8ohm output on the radio to 10k for input to the PA amp.

Now I'm not great at these things, but I would now be assuming that my PRIMARY input (to the traffo)would be 8ohms (output off radio), and my SECONDARY would be 10K (input for the amp).
However, no matter where I search on the web, I can only find transformers with the REVERSE of what I need (Primary 10k, secondary 8ohm).
Have I got it backwards, or are these transformers just not available??

I would really appreciate any help, and sorry if it's slightly off topic.

Many thanks,

Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7111

You do not want to run a speaker output, no matter the intended speaker load impedance (the actual output impedance of the amplifier is likely to be in the tenths of an Ohm), into a line level input. The voltages are incorrect and there is a good chance you will damage both units.

Speaker outputs are meant to drive speakers. Line level inputs are meant to accept line level voltages.

I won't tell you this is an impossible situation, just one I would not try. There are better solutions to what you want to do.

Username: Crimewatch

Post Number: 3
Ok, thanks.

I'd be grateful if you could suggest someting for me, I can't think of anything else.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7156

Well, first you have to tell me what you're trying to accomplish. Are you just trying to distribute the output from the two way radio around the yard? Is any communication back to the other end of the two way radio required? Does the radio have any other outputs except speaker level out? Is the mic input the only input available on the PA system? Any idea how much wattage the two way radio has? Have you tried anything yet or was this your first idea? Are you tied into using the existing speakers?

Username: Harrypalmer

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 6
Jan read that straight out of the book "the Complete Guide to Lo FI Audio"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us