I need some rear speaker advice.

Username: Tlc2006

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, here is my situation. I am a relatively new to the whole home theatre thing and I am trying to setup a decent system. I went and listened to a bunch of speakers and I have decided to get the B&W 601 s3's for the front and the B&W 600 s3;s for the rears and the matching center and sub from B&W. Here is the problem, the rear speakers are really to physically big to mount in my family room and floor space in a problem also. The salesman highly recommended that I DO NOT MIX brands of speakers and only had I set of smaller B&W's but they were MORE money and still fairly large. So has anybody had experience mixing these speakers with smaller rear speakers from another brand? I want them to sound nice but I do realize that by going smaller the sound quality will suffer. BTW the room size is 16x18, if that helps any. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2598
I have a room that is smaller than that (18x14) and I fit all of my speakers. Are you sure the room can't be arranged to accomodate the speakers?

Username: Mrbeefy

Post Number: 3
There is a post on just this a little way down; its called "Front Vienna different speakers for rear":
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/182566.html

It gets around to saying ideally you dont want to mix, but it is very possible.

My set up has all JMLab fronts w/ Paradigms in the rear, and I beleive it sounds great; there are some tips about matching timbre in that previous post

Username: Tlc2006

Post Number: 2
I read the above post and did some timbre matching research and I must admit I am slightly more confused on how to exactly know which ones would match closely to the B&W's. As far as the room arrangement goes, I guess the problem is that I planned on mounting the rears high on the wall and angling them down but the shear size of the 600's makes that impossible, plus one of the walls is a walk-thru and it would become a head "knocker" hazard if wall mounted and a trip hazard if on the floor. Since I am new to most of this I don't want to buy good stuff and and have them not fully utilized by "stuffing" them where space allows. From what I read, the best placement is a about 2 feet above ear level and directly behind the listener. To safely wall mount these would mean that their placement would be less than ideal. Also in the thread topic listed above there was some talk about the receivers, separate amps ect, and the 2 recievers that were recommended to me were the Denon avr-1706 and the Yamaha rx-v657. Will either of these be sufficient for this system? Sorry for the cross thread question but I am a little concerned since it was briefly mentioned in the "Vienna" thread. Thanks again!

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 42
TLC, go ahead and mix rears to your hearts content.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us