I have these candidates:

-Rega Brio
-Rotel RA-01/RA-02
-Cambridge Audio Azur 640

and then some more expensive models (for about 100-300€):

-Arcam A65
-Denon PMA-1500AE
-Rotel RA-03

I also don't know which speakers would match that system. I've been looking at Monitor Audio Silver and Bronze series, JMLab Chorus, Acoustic Research, Energy C-3, Athena AS-B2. I would definetly go for a bookshelf speaker, because of the size of the room.

I'd like quite a strong bass, though i don't expect anything very powerful, but it should be decent. I prefer clean sound, a little warm (that's why i don't like NAD's sound, so NAD isn't an option).

Aljosa

Username: Aljo

Skofja LokaSlovenia

Post Number: 2
sorry, € = euro

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 309
"I prefer clean sound, a little warm (that's why i don't like NAD's sound, so NAD isn't an option)."

Er, Nad is 'warm' gear mate. Denon and Rotel aren't yet you include them in your list.

Skofja LokaSlovenia

Post Number: 3
i know they aren't warm, that they are clean, but i had DALI speakers on them and they really sounded very nice. Meanwhile NAD sounded very thumpy, i don't know how to say, but it wasn't precise. I mainly want to know, if it is worth spending more money, because Rega Brio played really nice.

Skofja LokaSlovenia

Post Number: 4
i said, that i want a clean amp, not warm, i will add that "little warm" feeling with speakers, though i don't care if whole system will be clean, because this is a budget Hi-Fi.

Most likely i will go for Rega Brio and Energy C-3 speakers.

I just want to know, if brio will be short on power, because it has only 38W, the same is with RA-02 (40W). Is Azur much stronger (60W)?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1137
The Rega Brio comes across with more authority than you'd expect for its 38watts. In fact, it seems more powerful than that. The strange thing is that when you play the Rega with the same speakers as another more powerfully rated amplifier, you tend to find you end up putting the volume knob in about the same place to get the same volume.

I have checked the specs of the Energy speakers and they are very easy to drive indeed (92db/8-ohm) so the Rega will have no problem doing them justice. I've used a Brio to drive Dynaudio Audience 42s which are much more difficult to drive (87db/4-ohm) quite happily, so power is not an issue here.

Regards,
Frank.

Skofja LokaSlovenia

Post Number: 5
well, I decided for Rotel RA-02, it has more direct sound, for my taste.

Which would be better, to add a little (really a little) of warmness, B&W 601 or Energy C-3?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2635
Rotel and B&W often have very good synergy.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1366
Yep very good match,although the Rega is stunning at that price and it would be hard for me to pass up at that price,but B&W and Rotel make a good combo,hey their distributor thinks so to,thats why they are distributed from the same firm in the states and Canada.

Skofja LokaSlovenia

Post Number: 6
same here, in Slovenia, the same firm distributes them. btw thanks for advices

bye Aljosa

Bronze Member
Username: Angello

Post Number: 34
aljosa povej pol kaj si vzel
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts