Focal JMLab 816S

Kayla
Unregistered guest
Hello to all,

I just came from picking up a cd player that was in for repair at Tweeters. While I was there a couple of older gentlemen were oohing and aahing over some speakers being blasted in one of the showrooms. They were the Focal JMLab 816S's and really sounded pretty good to these ears. I thought that they were a bit steep in price, but noticed the older guys shopping using terms like "open" and "airy" to describe their sound. Is anyone familiar with these? Although they sounded crystal clear, they didn't have much bass and I wondered if the manufacturer INTENDED for them to be used with a sub? Once I make sure that everything works on my CD player, I may go back and give them another listen this weekend while my boyfriend is watching football. What kinds of questions should I ask? Like I said, they sounded darn good, I just don't know if it was close to $2,000.00 good.

Anonymous

too bright-leave them alone.

marek
Unregistered guest
they are too bright only when you use amp like denon. when you connect them to nad or matantz, the sound will be not-that-bright.
atleast this is what i have heard on avforums :-)

marek
Unregistered guest
* not matantz, but marantz :D

Bronze Member
Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 28
I own Paradigm but think JMlab are some really great sounding speakers and would not hesitate to purchase them.

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 60
I was able to audition this against monitor audio silver 9 and it has a better tighter bass than the silver. was connected to anthem avm 20

Username: Tommy_jenkins

Tallahasse, FL

Post Number: 10
the Focals are a little bright, so Marek is correct that they would go well with a Marantz receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us