Nad c 320bee & B&W 602s3 how far can you go?

Username: Casa7

Post Number: 2
to all the nad c 320bee & B&W 602s3 owners out there.
can the B&W 602s3 play really loud without distortion?

i've experienced cranking up the volume (volume at 11 o'clock) with acoustic energy aegis evo 1 and the bass starts craking.
does this happens with the B&W 602s3?

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 90
volume at 11 oclock means nothing, except your probably clipping your amp at that point. Even if you get a better amp, although the volume will be louder at 8 oclock than your current setup is at 11 oclock, if you decide to go back to 11 oclock it will just clip again as you are exceeding amps output at that timeframe. looks to me like it would be bedtime anyway at that hour.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7099

602's do not play "really loud". Speakers with a sensitivity specification about 10dB higher than the 602's play really loud. Buy speakers rated in the upper 90's for sensivity/efficiency and you can play really loud with the volume at 11 O'Clock.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 468
all you are going to do is blow a perfectly good set of speakers. Can I get my hands on them before you do?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 127
The 602S3 sensitivity is stated at 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m. On my C162/272 combo these beauties can fill our reasonably large living room with copious volume with the dial set at about 10.30, any higher would result in roof repairs. So, if they don't play "really loud" then imho, they play "loud enough."

Post Number: 6
the thing that i still can't understant is why do manufactures make aplifiers that we can only use half of the volume control (12 o'clock)???

What happends to after that and why????

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 129
There are many variables relating to your question such as room size, speaker sensitivity, speaker power rating, speaker impedence and impedence swing etc. The amplifier never knows who is going to pair it up with what set of speakers. Where some speakers may require "12 o'clock" on the amp's dial to play at a certain volume, others may require "2 o'clock or "10 o'clock".

What happens after that and why? Maybe that's a question for Stephen King :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7101

As Rantz suggests the position of the volume control is relative to what is happening elsewhere in the system. Input vs. output, efficiency of the speakers, tone control settings and log vs linear taper on the control itself. Most amplifiers run out of clean wattage at not much more than 12 O'Clock on the volume control. Do not expect an amplifier to be able to have the volume control turned as high as it will go. If you want "really loud", you need to have very efficient speakers. 90db is good but 10dB more in the sensivity spec is like having ten times the wattage. You will probably also have drivers that are meant to take some punishment if you shop for efficient speakers. If your speakers are "cracking" at 11 O'Clock on the volume control, you would likely be playing some bass heavy music. Buy some speakers that are meant for that purpose and try not to destroy the Energy's until you can swap out speakers.

Username: Mrbeefy

Post Number: 2
LOL... Is this a Cerwin Vega situation???

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7103

No.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 979
Dr. Klipch, Dr Klipch to the incoming thread!

Post Number: 7
I've owned a pair o cerwin-vega vs-8 and, to be true, for heavy bass music they rock, but you loose a lot in detail.
I m just looking for a speaker to play in a small room, that can handle both heavy bass music and detail for around 500USD.
most of the opinions i've read, the B&W 602s3 are ideal
I just have to go to my dealer and hear them.
But if anyone can suggest any ohter speaker i would appreciate.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7109

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=high+efficiency+loudspeaker&sp=1&fr2=sp-top&ei= UTF-8&SpellState=n-307170836_q-nMwMk.SRndPoj7xPDcSpQwABAA%40%40

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 130
As Jan stated, higher efficiency speakers will play louder, but if your room is small the 602's, imho, will certainly deliver on your requirements. It's only up to your ears on what you finally decide. Me, I find them hard to beat for a decent speaker in their price range (and well above in many cases).

ererererer
Unregistered guest
I have never seen speakers with 100 dB sensitivity in the hi fi brands

Can anyone please suggest bookshelf speakers with such high sensitivity?

Thanks

Eduardo

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7115

Probably not. The three most basic parameters a speaker designer will juggle are bass extension, sensitivity and enclosure size. When you change one, you change the other two. High efficiency speakers are inherently larger boxes. The original Klipsch Heresey was spec'd at 96 dB @ 1 watt. Most high efficiency "bookshelf" systems will be slightly less than that spec. Anything higher is likely to be a floor standing speaker.

ererererer
Unregistered guest
Thanks, refrasing my question. What bookshelf speakers have the highest sensibility in the 300 to 600 usd range?

Eduardo

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 172
I have the 602 S3's driven by a NAD C352. Exactly how deaf do you want to get, or are you planning on using the system as an outdoor PA????
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us