PrimaLuna 70W Monoblocks (Model 7)

Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 8
I have a pair. One of the first in the country, I believe. I have them driven by a MiniMax CDP driving a PL 3 preamp and outputting to Joseph Audio RM25s.

The sound is phenomenal. And they're far from broken-in.

I will post a full review when I can find the time and the words. And when I have more than my current 9 hours listening in.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 957
Paul, do you have a pic or two?
I'd love to see the gear(and/or setup).
Thats a nice cdp, I walked through it about 2 mos ago.
Looks great on paper, now fill us in, listen more.
Like 12 hrs a day.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 767
Paul,

Sounds like an interesting set-up. When you've got it all broken in and more than a few minutes, tell us what you're hearing.

Also, if you've got some time to read, go through Jan's "Do You Listen" thread which has some interesting dialogue on what we listen to and how we listen to it. Might help you in thinking about what you're hearing and then putting it into words. Enjoy, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3851
Yes, I'll be interested, too, Paul!

Please follow up when you can.

There are also some relevant posts on Tube Talk. I'll link this thread there.

Post Number: 10
Thanks, John - why don't we just move the discussion over there and close this thread.

See ya at Tube Talk!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3855
Dave,

It looks like Do you listen seems to be closed to further posts.

Paul,

Good to see you on Tube Talk, but your review could be good on this thread; it is yours; it has a clear, specific title; and we can always link back to it from other threads.

Nuck,

Pics here (courtesy of UK distributor, Pistol Music).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Review still coming; I am still listening every day, and still amazed every time. Well past 50 hours now and I think they're still getting better.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1014
Got it, John.
My oh my what a grand look!

Drool, drool.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3863
When we got it, Mrs A said the Prologue Two looked like something from a museum of steam locomotives. She likes the sound, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Now I'm just getting lazy. I have well over 100 listening hours on the amps and I think they're broken-in. I also have about 25 hours on the Melody amp I bought for my 2nd system and will review both 'real soon now'.

(Bottom line: all real good stuff.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Here's my lil review. Doesn't say much that hasn't already been said, I think. I posted this at audioreview and just copied it here.

Price Paid: $2695 at Upscale Audio

Product Model Year:

Summary:
I've owned a pair of the 7 monoblocks for about six weeks now, along with a PL 3 preamp. Short story: I seriously doubt you can find better quality tube amplifiction in this price range - though I haven't listened to everything by any means.

The source driving my system is a MiniMax CDP (another killer product) and the blocks are feeding Joseph Audio Rm25 Mk2 speakers (dare I say it - another great buy for the money). The low lows are handled by a Sunfire Super Jr sub. I have Nordost Blue Heaven speaker wire and decent mid-priced interconnects.

I'll preface this now by saying that I just started really listening to tube gear in the past few months. I've been an audio-head for 15+ years, but missed the resurgence in valve amplification in the last decade simply because I hadn't been in the market for new gear. (I was reasonably satisfied with my Marantz 200W monoblocks and Paradigm Reference speakers.) My point is that I can't be regarded as an expert - though I have listened extensively to some very good stuff (CJ) recently and have been reading everything I can get my hands on.

Put simply, these amps deliver the sh*t. If they are giving up anything to the $4250 Manley monoblocks, I don't know what. If they are giving up anything to an $8K CJ setup, I don't think it's too much - although I haven't heard the CJ stuff with the same speakers (the Manleys, I have).

As a matter of fact, that CJ setup (their $4500 preamp and 60W tube poweramp) playing a good Arcam CDP to Tannoy TD8s was and is about the best sound I've heard. Again, I haven't heard everything by a longshot, but that setup has it all as far as I'm concerned - and my own setup has 90% of the same stuff, or perhaps more, at half the price.

"It" would be imaging, soundstaging, attacks and decays done right, powerful, tight bass, smooth mids and highs, and, simply, music that sounds like music, with no coloration - 'tubes done right'. They were a stunning improvement (together with the '3' premap) out of the box over my Marantz amps, and they have gotten better in the 150+ hours I have on them now. They DO sound better warmed-up, too, but I do not leave them on 24/7 for reasons of tube longevity.

I have to give some, uh, "props" to Kevin Deal & Upscale Audio. He took ample time to answer my stupid questions with complete patience on the phone without knowing who I was or whether or not I was a serious customer. I think he is a guy who knows what he's doing and has chosen to market the PrimaLuna gear for good reasons.

In the style of the audio rags, the last word is - "recommended".

Strengths:
Everything that makes a good amp good

Weaknesses:
Nothing worth mentioning

Similar Products Used:
Marantz, Melody, Conrad-johnson, Arcam, Chord, Manley

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3902
Thanks, Paul. Appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2717
Good information Paul. Prima Luna rules! I must say though that I had a very different experience with the folks at Upscale. I found them to be rude and uninformative. I called and talked to Kevin and another gentleman 4-5 times and always came away feeling uncomfortable. Finally I called my friend Jim Ott at Northwest Audio Labs and he answered all of my questions. Teri at Stereotypes in Portland was helpful as well.

I'll bet your system is Marvelous Paul. Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Where did you buy your gear? Upscale is the only U.S. dealer, correct?

I did definitely have a different experience dealing with them. That's too bad. Kevin offered me 20% off all his power cables as well after I bought (haven't bought any - my system has no noise and loads of dynamics so I have a hard time justifying aftermarket power cables).

Paul

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2725
Upscale has 4 North American dealers for the Prima Luna gear and one of them is Stereotypes in Portland, Oregon. As luck would have it Stereotypes is one of my favorite audio stores so that's where I bought it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us