Arcam AVR300 vs Outlaw Seperates!!!

Username: Bushbison

Post Number: 1
Hey; I need some clear help on what could be a "better" system; a Arcam AVR300 receiver or an Outlaw Seperates system for the same price; I have music as a priority (esp. dvd-audio & sacd)but also enjoy movies. Gallo or Newform Research speakers.
Feedback????

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 27
that's a great question gower! i'm currently looking into the same thing. i run paradigm studio's and listen to both and am leaning slightly more towards separates but am not giving up on the arcam yet either. also, you might want to look into Emotiva separates. they have a new line coming out soon called ultra-lite (UL) and could be promising. unfortunately emotiva and outlaw are both internet based, but can be returned w/ full refund w/in 30 days. so we'll see. let me know what you think and post your decision and findings once you make one. thanks.
-william

Post Number: 2
Thanks Will; I'll let you know.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 960
I gotta go with the outlaw.
Un questioable industrial strength.
You can play nice, or rock the house!
With mono blocks/direct to the cdp, you will never be disappointed.

Last I heard was monos driving maggies, with linn sources.

Sweeeeeeeet

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4707
I love the OUtlaw Audio separates.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4708
I have the 200 M-block amps driving SF Cremonas. Audio nirvana, well, at least for me anyway:-)

Bronze Member

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 28
Berny, which separates do you have? what are you driving w/ them?
-thanks, william

Gold Member

Post Number: 4736
I have the Model 7100 driving a set of Axiom M80s. The 970 pre/pro and the Model 200's driving a separate set of Cremonas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4737
Sold the 773

Post Number: 3
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Arcam w/ the Outlaw 990 side by side?? Bernie?? I also may have issues, if I go with the Outlaw, about getting it shipped to Canada; I've heard some extra excise taxes, etc. be added OVER the normal cost + the exchange rate on the $.
The one real benefit to sepreates, is that they are easier (but possibly not cheaper) to upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the replies guys . . ... I have to make a decision over the pre /pro or Arcam soon. ...

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 999
Oh yeah, j, you be paying big time unless you arrange first.
The us built Outlaw is fully accepteble for 0$ across the border.
BUT, you gotta let them know that the thing is coming.
A border agent is preferable, but expensive as well. FedEx can do it for you.

Plan ahead, call your closest customs agent for personal service, they are really good, and get a name.

The Arcam, are you thinking the 250 or the 300?
Big difference, the 300 has pre-outs, the 250 doesn't.
If you are thinking extra power(I can't imagine why, except for e-stats), the 300 will allow mono blocks.
Although expensive, Art has a mono running on Arcam, and likes it.

I feel a credit card burning a hole in my pocket.

Post Number: 4
Thanks a lot, Nuck; I am am thinking about the 300, but may not need the extra power; I DO prefer Martin Logans or the new Gallo Ref. 3's. I HAD Newform Research Speakers and they were AWESOME and VERY neutral, but not great for rock . . . which doesn't really bother me as when I do listen to something less than audiophile-ish (?) I am walking around anyway . . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 4758
J gower,
I have listened to both Arcam AVR300 and the Outlaw Audio 970/Model 7100 power amp, driving a set of Axiom M80tis. It would be a very tough choice as they sound similar. A few of my friends couldn't pick one out based on sound preferences. It would come down to which is the better value for the money.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1006
j, I've never been a fan of Axiom stuff, but that matters not awhit...
Why did you return the Newform's?
You ae saying that they were good except for phile?

What was missing?

Post Number: 5
Thanks Berny & Nuck; just the feedback I was needing. Berny, glad to hear the Axioms are working for you; I was honestly looking at one time of gettng an entire Axiom system based around the M22's (?) but would miss the ribbon highs; so THEN I was going to add a ribbon super-tweeter and realized that it would end up being much the same price as other speakers, and given I certainly know a LOT less than manufacturers about cross-overs etc., I thought that Martins, Newforms or Gallos would still be right for me; I would go with Maggies but they need more room than I can provide, apparently.
By the way the reason for all this new equip. is that some savages broke into my place took all of the high end stuff except for my Newforms which they trashed, the F**kers!!!

So NO, Nuck I didn't return 'em, I just need to by new ones; the models I had are no longer made. I would REALLY recommend them to anyone with a critical ear, but they are a BIT soft/reluctant on the lower-mids, but they may have rectified this with the newer models. They are AMAZING with great audiophile recordings, but VERY neutral and unforgiving of poor material. They are not best with heavy / hard rock. But my listening position is all over my apartment when I listen to that stuff. By the way, John Meyer @ Newform is a GREAT person and and excellent business man; almost to a fault; he wants people to have a great listening experience and doesn't push his products on you at all; he even returns calls, emails personally. Great guy & UNDERRATED products.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1013
j, that's harsh, sorry to hear that.
It really would be better if they stole the speakers as well, so that someone, somewhere could enjoy them, if that makes any sense at all.

That Arcam runs about $2200, no?
The outlaw 990 sits at $2000 or so?

How about the Outlaw 755 with a couple of 2200 mono's for a new pair of Newforms?

Nice?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4775
Very nice!

But how about an Outlaw Audio 970 for $699 with 5 Model 2200 for $1222. Your total would $1921 plus shipping and handling. Totally kickbutt system for less than $2000.

What do you think?

Unless you are you going for stereo. Then it will be cheaper.

Post Number: 6
Hey guys; what would be the audio benifit of going with 5 monos rather than 1 amp (such as Outlaw) that is 5 x 125 or 7 x 200???

Post Number: 7
Hey guys; what would be the audio benifit of going with 5 monos rather than 1 amp (such as Outlaw) that is 5 x 125 or 7 x 200???

Bronze Member

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 29
J gower, outlaw currently doesn't have a 5 or 7 channel amp w/ 200W/channel (they're on the way and can be upgraded from the 125W amp they have w/ no penalty).

Have not heard the outlaw stuff yet but stopped by a new AV store here and listened to the arcam AVR300 matched w/ some PSB's (T55's i think) and it sounded sweet! I imagine either choice would be great, it just depends on your preferences. i know i certainly cannot decide.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4782
j gower,
I have the older 7100 unit in one room and 5 Model 200s in another. The only difference I could make out is the volume. It is still well refined but the ppianissimos are more distinct with the model 200s. It could very well be attributed to its higher rating than the 7100.

Outlaw has discontinued the 770 and is preparing to launch a different 7 channel power amp with probably a bit more power than the 770, who knows.

If nothing else, it just looks really cool with five stacked mono-blocks:-)

Post Number: 8
Thanks Berny; u ROCK

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 223
Actually Berny the last update I got from the Outlaws indicated that the new multi-channel amps (7700 and 7500) would still rate the same for power as the outgoing amps (at least at 8ohm.. 4ohm might increase) with some tweaks to the power supply and balanced inputs being the major differences. The more powerful amp (790/7900? - 300? wpc) is on the back burner for now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4783
That's alright...I'm still very happy with mine. I do so love their trade/upgrade deals!

Bronze Member
Username: Dion

Post Number: 12
I thought about Outlaw but was waiting until the had a 7 channel pre-pro. Do they have that now?

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 224
They have 2... both the 970 ($699) and 990 ($1099) are 7-channel pre-pros.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us