Vintage Klipsch Heritage vs. Altec Lansing speakers - First Listen

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 763
Well Peter wherever you are, here's what I can say after an hour or so of listening to your beloved- Klipschhorns?

I had a brief opportunity to listen to these Klipsch Heritage line, vintage horn speakers last night. Very Interesting!!!

The Klipsch have mid and treble horn drivers with a similar 12" woofer to my Altec Lansing Stonehenge IIs but the Altec mid and treble cones present sound very differently.

The Klipsch speakers are brighter on the top end (and I don't know yet if they'll prove to be fatiguing or I'll just have to turn the volume down a bit), they're pretty smooth in the mids but they have no where near the sweet bass as the ALs, although i may need to get them closer to the floor as they're presently about 18" off the floor versus the ALs which are floorstanders.

I haven't decided yet if I like the Klipsch sound better but upon initial listen, my ALs sound sweeter to me, whether that's just that ole absense makes the heart fonder feeling, after not having the ALs to listen to for the past 15 plus years or I am just more used to the sound of the ALs.

Anyway, I will do some more critical listening this weekend and provide a more detailed, hopefully interesting, report as time allows. After all, I know that all of you out there have a strong interest in this comparo of two speakers you are absolutely unlikely to be able to find and especially in the same room at the same time. LOL

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7096

Klipsc"horns" do not have a 12" woofer. The Heresy was the only (likley suspect) original Klipsch with a 12" woofer in about a 2 cubic foot (barely) sealed box. The larger Klipsch all used the same 15" woofer, were vented designs or horn loaded bass and were substantially larger enclosures.

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
Jan,

You are probably correct. That's why I put the question mark behind them. These are definitely a 12 inch woofer with two stacked horns above it in a 24" x 16" x 12" deep, sealed box. I'll give more information after I listen some more. Thanks, Dave

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 970
Dave, wassup with the Altecs'?
Do you need another shop?

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
Nuck,

I'm not sure but I believe that my buddy said that one of the voice coils had been damaged, probably because I continued to use the speaker after the cone had disintegrated.

Apparently, you have to replace the coils in both speakers, which I will do if he's unable to "fix" the damaged coil.

He has all kinds of electronic testing equipment and this speaker showed a problem with certain bass frequencies after he installed the new surround and before we reinstalled the woofer in the cabinet.

BUT, to his credit, he said "let's put it back together, play it awhile and see if you can live with it. If not, then we can replace the voice coil later."

So, the ALs are on hold and he's going to take a shot at repairing the voice coil and if he can't, then I'll replace them in both speakers and the ALs should be as good as new and I'm still only in them for about $200.

As for a new shop, I don't think so. The original problem was the surrounds and he had no way of knowing if either voice coil or the drivers were damaged until he replaced those.

So, I think he's doing just fine AND I trust him AND I can't beat his pricing beacause he only charged me for the parts and no labor so far. How can I complain when I'm only $25 into the repairs so far? LOL Dave

Silver Member

Post Number: 772
See more on the Klipsch Heritage speakers in the "Tube Talk" thread on amps, if you're interested. I don't want to repost here. Dave.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 976
Dave, now that's whay I be talkin' about.

Buddy's taking of you and all sounds sweet.
You'll get the speaker sorted out.

Liking you reviews

Silver Member

Post Number: 777
Nuck,

Thanks, I'll post more as I get some time to listen to these fun, little(?) puppies. (Little is in the eye of the beholder. Don't go there. LOL.) But, they are impressing more and more as I get to spend some time with them.

Is there a "break-in" period for vintage speakers that have been sitting around for a time? He asks ever so unintelligently.

Emmas, where are you? Come to papa.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1466
Here's a Heresy (which I use as a center speaker):

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=8

Here's a Klipschorn (which I use as front mains):

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=2

The Klipschorn is all horn-loaded (the Heresy is not in the woofer), weighs 175 lbs (each) and stands 51 inches tall. It has much more bass than the Heresy, is more dynamic and is smoother all-around. But you are comparing a $1200 a pair speaker (new) to a $7500 pair (new). Or about $350 vs $2100 vintage used.

Good luck with the Heresy's !

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1034
Dave, I have heard of using a teflon spray lubricant on old surrounds before use, can't vouch, mine dont last that long!

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
Nuck,

Thanks for tge info. but the surrounds are brand new now.

Peter,

Dang, I thought we'd lost you, welcome back. Yep, they are the Heritage line although these aren't that pretty anymore. You want to ship me the Klipschorns to Spokane so I can compare them until my ALs are back up and running? Hey, just kidding!!! Good to hear from ya, Peter.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1473
Dak,

I'm sure you could find someone in your area eager to let you listen to his Klipschorns (if you are not just kidding around). I'd try the Klipsch forums (and say I sent you).

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
Peter,

I may give that a try as I would be very interested to compare the sound of the Klipschorns to my vintage ALs and the Heritages.

Now, on another front, Tim Forman (Alegria Audio) is spectacular. I talked to Tim on Wednesday about listening to a pair of his Emmas, after Mr. Vigne's wonderful review, and we had some technical difficulties with PM so I wasn't expecting much soon. BUT, Tim somehow got them to FedEx and they'll be delivered to my door this p.m. YEAH TIM!!!

I am a little more than excited to replace the Heretage speakers with the Emmas while awaiting the return of one of my AL woofers.

And I am excited to experience this new speaker model from Tim and give the Emmas a good look see and listen see. I'll start a new thread and review after I had the weekend with the Emmas. Hope my wife doesn't get jealous. LOL Dave

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1475
Have fun with them Dave!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7567

"I am a little more than excited ... "

More information than I need!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1382
I am a little more than excited.
Hope my wife doesn't get jealous.

Dave, be the man and say the port was a little too small.

Kidding aside, the AL odyssey really has left you begging for 21st century speakers.

From all reviews, the Emma's wont let you down.

Send reviews!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
Jan and Nuck,

OK, I asked for that one. Actually, the port is exactly the right size and it does its job well.

On the vintage ALs, I am likely to have the repaired Altec back in action by this weekend according to my buddy.

BUT, I don't want to detract from the Emmas in the meantime. I had a chance to listen for 10 plus hours on Friday and Saturday, various music genres and good and bad recordings.

I'll review the Emmmas in a different string. But, I'll say this as a first impression, WOW!!

More to come. Dave.

Unregistered guest
Hi, Own a pair of Altec model 14's..12"woofer and a fiberglass Manta Ray horn. Replaced the x-over/mid-high freq. board w/basic 2nd order xover.Played w/the stuffing and shoved a nylon stocking in each horn throat. Use a Music Hall TT w/ Bellari tube pre-amp directly into a Crown XLS 202. Played w/ spkr. positioning and as a pro musician(classical to razor rock) for the investment, unbelievable music..clean, nice soundstage, and it never hurts my ears even up to 100 or so db. I like my music to sound and be of a volume of the live recording/performance. Nothing like 40 year old technology ! Gene Z.

Unregistered guest
Hi, Own a pair of Altec model 14's..12"woofer and a fiberglass Manta Ray horn. Replaced the x-over/mid-high freq. board w/basic 2nd order xover.Played w/the stuffing and shoved a nylon stocking in each horn throat. Use a Music Hall TT w/ Bellari tube pre-amp directly into a Crown XLS 202. Played w/ spkr. positioning and as a pro musician(classical to razor rock) for the investment, unbelievable music..clean, nice soundstage, and it never hurts my ears even up to 100 or so db. I like my music to sound and be of a volume of the live recording/performance. Nothing like 40 year old technology ! Gene Z.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7744

" ... shoved a nylon stocking in each horn throat." That's the ticket for dealing with velocity based designs.

None the less, EZ, I commend you for your dedication to the vintage arts. (Have you ever considered it might be the Crown and not the horn which needs some "stuffing"?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us