High sibilance problems

Username: Roseparade

Post Number: 1
hey everyone,
i'm new here and have a bit of an issue. i've been noticing lately that there's a lot of sibilance in playback from my turntable, and i can't pinpoint what the problem might be.

i've got a technics 1200mk2 turntable, with a stanton 500 E MKII cart. i've checked the alignment, and reset the weight (with the shure stylus force gauge) and the anti-skating (just set at the same as tracking force). if it helps, i've also noticed that there's a slight wobble in the cart whenever it comes across a high sibilance area.

any suggestions? thanks so much!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7092

It sounds like acoustic feedback. What do you have the table sitting on?

Username: Roseparade

Post Number: 2
it's sitting on an ikea dresser. i've leveled it out with the turntable feet, since my floor isn't perfectly level, but it seems to be pretty solid. should i be using insulator feet or changing the surface it's on?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7200

Change the surface it's sitting on. I did a thread quite a time back about turntable set up but I doubt I can find it now. Cruise through some of the threads here and you'll find some answers to how to set up a table and what type of supports are best.

Check here also. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/index.html

Username: Roberts

Redmond , WA USA

Post Number: 5
If I had this problem I would take my MK2 to Platinum Records is Seattle. These guys mod/build turntables for the professional Dj and know Technics inside and out.

Username: Uncle_ants

NottinghamEngland

Post Number: 10
Could be a number of possibles -

could be you've set your anti skate too high - its a generally poor rule of thumb to set it the same as downforce - only accurate way to do it is with a test record, by ear (if you are good at that sort of thing) or a better general rule of thumb is the snatch test ie. if when the needle hits the groove it doesn't snatch one way or the other, its probably okay.

Could be a worn stylus

Could be a misaligned stylus

could be downforce too low (except I think you have eliminated that)

Could be on the record (is it a new thing or has it always been sibilant?)

Don't mean to be rude but the cart is a bit of a plough, so its not going to sound the best in the world. Your deck would easily stand a better one - Think Denon DL-110 or DL-160.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us