Dedicated Music System for 2000-3000 dollars

Username: Fundoc35

Post Number: 1
I live in the United States. I love music esp rock and blues. I also listen to a fair amount of western classical. I have a home theater and was thinking about getting a speakers and receiver (amp) dedicated to music. How much would I need to get a good system? What can I get for 2500 dollars give or take a few? A friend of mine has paradigm and I kinda liked the sound.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4669
Try this

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

with the Paradigm speakers.

Rumadian
Unregistered guest
Rajesh,

If you ask in enough forums, you will get hundreds of different responses. There once was a time when 2500 could not get you much but a scoff from a salesmen. That time wasn't so long ago -actually. Thankfully today, 2500 can get you a pretty killer system brand new in the box. Places like audiogon.com and even ebay can offer great prices on used equipment that take it even a step further.

My advice - before spitting out brand names - is to listen as much as possible - IF at all possible. Check and see if there are any local stores in your area. If you are comfortable, let the forum know where you live and perhaps someone in your locale can give you a lead on places to go and gear to listen to.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7078

Your taste might not fit with the reviewer's choices, but The Absolute Sound is running a series on picking a $2,000 two channel audio system. You can find the first installation of the article in the current issue.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the suggestions.I live in fortwayne Indiana. There is an Ovation store here which I think carries paradigm. I dont know what else they carry. Would u recommend a sub woofer? or just a receiver and speakers? I do plan to visit them and listen, but I read somewhere there is a world of difference between the studios and your home listening conditions. Also when I move I hope to have an acoustically designed room where I can listen to my stereo and play my guitar without waking up the neighbourhood!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 622
Raj come to Chicago and listen to a Bryson amp at Audio Consultants (the one in Evanston has a used one for about $1200). While there you may also want to listen to some of the used Rotels with B&W speakers. You amy also want to stop by Saturday Audio Exchange to see what they might have to offer.

Of course with speakers you might also check on-line and take them up on their money back guarantee.

Having a subwoofer depends wholly on which speakers you end up going with. If for example you end up with a pair of small bookshelf because of space limitations (like I did) then you definitly want to pair them up with a sub.

Post Number: 3
I dont have space limitations. I live out in the country. I am totally new to the world of pro-audio. Would you suggest getting speakers with bookshelves to go with it or just towers or something?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 822
Rajesh -

If you're going to spend that much money, you need to go to a few hi-fi shops - not best buy, curcuit city, et al. - and listen to as much stuff as you can. Listen to gear above and below your budget as well. This way you'll have an idea as to what to expect for your money. A good dealer who has been around for a while should be able to answer all of your questions and give you sound advice. They should also never tell you what you like. After you've heard different stuff, you can ask us about opinions, recommendations, etc. I've never listened to music with anyone else's ears before, and neither has anyone else. Opinions are all subjective.

Post Number: 4
What I was also hoping for were suggestions about what kind of gear I would need, not just the brand. I was thinking just an amp (are they different from receivers?) and a pair of speakers. would I need a preamp, subwoofers? What should I look for ina speaker and amp other than if I like the way they sound together?

Username: Tutor_turtle

Post Number: 3
Rejesh,

Check out www.theabsolutesound.com The December 05 issue has an article on three complete systems under $2K USD. This is a high-end audio magzine, So when these guys set out to build a "satifiying" system on a budget, we are talking 90% of the sound these guys would want in their own homes.
Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2614
I just listened to a fine system in your price range the other day. Paradigm Studio 20's, Rotel RA-1062 integrated and the Rotel RCD-1072. Nice little system and the integrated has phono section too. Good interconnects and speaker cable by Signal would round out the system.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1004
Nice combo , Art, but we hear the same things I think.
No sub?

Post Number: 5
I have been looking at Stats and find them very interesting. How do they fare with music? Would you need a sub to go with them? How do the brands compare in reproducing music and availability in the US? How about Stats that are put together by third parties? Appreciate any input!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1057
If you want any input, Rajesh, Maggies do not rock and roll.
Most stats dont rock and roll well, none that Ive heard.
They do mellow Floyd exceptionally well, and opera can be spiritual.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us