Marantz PM7200 problem or nature of this amp?

Username: Twovox

Post Number: 1
About a week ago, I bought a Marantz PM7200 integrated amp to replace my tired Marantz 2285b and hopefully compliment my Paradigm mini-monitors and ps1000 sub. About a day after I set it up I was connecting an Ipod to it (yes the Ipod sounds horrible, but certain parts of my collection are mp3 only) and the ipod base unit was apparently defective because when I plugged into power and into the stereo I got a fairly loud ground-loop-type noise through the speakers. Ever since that occured, I've noticed some interesting behavior of my amp that I hope is not the result of some incurred damage. I'd hugely appreciate it if somebody familiar with this model would tell me if the following qualities are normal with this amp (in which case I'm a little dissapointed with certain aspects of this amp) or whether I screwed it up with the defective base incident.

• Although it is truly sweet (carmel-ey?) in the midrange and quite fast/dynamic in acoustic and percussive passages..it is abysmally unfocused and weak with more steadily "driving" electric guitar type material...I've heard reports of the amp lacking drive..but it's way more chronic than I expected. Anybody else experiencing this?

• Fuelling my paranoia that this might be a result of damage, is that although when I first set it up, it was quite warm, nearly hot, evenly across the top of the unit...now it doesn't seem as warm on the whole, and the right side of the unit's top is significantly warmer than the left side. If anybody else had this amp, could you please take a moment to see if this is the case on your unit in A/B mode?

I really love certain qualities of this amp (detailed, open, dynamic, warm) but, it falls on it's nose so badly when dealing with more wall-of-sound type material, that it's most likely going to get replaced or repaired depending on what I find out here...

Or perhaps this lack of drive can be offset by different speakers?..Suggestions?

I appreciate any help in my personal quest for sonic/mental peace. Thanks in advance.

nout
Unregistered guest
Although my Marantz PM 7200 is equally warm on both sides of the amps case and it doesn't fall on its nose that badly when playing rock music, I don't think there is something wrong with your amp.
I think it's a matter of taste.
You are right about the lack of drive, I have this complaint too with certain recordings (only a few), where the "wall of sound" could be more upfront.

If you like it more forward you should listen to some Rotel amps or maybe the Marantz doesn't pair well with the Paradigm speakers?
I have B&W speakers which are pretty lively and upfront, so in most cases I don't desire a bigger and more upfront wall of sound.

Post Number: 2
I suspect your right nout,

It seems any problems wouldn't manifest themselves so subtley..a channel would probably just go down altogether. I think I like some qualities of this amp enough, that I'll try to compensate for the lack of drive with the speakers...B&W's perhaps. I think the drive issue's origins may be with the HDRM module...It seems to be built to prefer alternating quiet moments with high intensity peaks as opposed to large segments of consistent energy. I'll go audition some B&W's today.

nout
Unregistered guest
It's difficult to find an amp in the $500 pricerange that handles every single recording, source and all types of speakers equally well.
System matching is very important.

I could have bought a Rotel, but then I would miss the beautiful midds and soundstage depth.
You're right about the HDAM module, with classical music it works very well, the crescensdo's in Mahler symphonies for instance are very impressive, you do not find this with same priced NAD or Rotel amps (that is my opinion ofcourse)

Good luck with your speaker quest...or maybe you find out that Rotel or NAD works better for you, you can also try your Paradigm speakers with different amps...anyway good luck and a happy new year!

Post Number: 3
I suspect your right nout,

It seems any problems wouldn't manifest themselves so subtley..a channel would probably just go down altogether. I think I like some qualities of this amp enough, that I'll try to compensate for the lack of drive with the speakers...B&W's perhaps. I think the drive issue's origins may be with the HDRM module...It seems to be built to prefer alternating quiet moments with high intensity peaks as opposed to large segments of consistent energy. I'll go audition some B&W's today.

Post Number: 4
Oops accidentally posted that message again...
Anyway, Thanks for the info, and have a good New Year.

I'll have to post my solution when I figure it out.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us