Yamaha RX 360 with Infinity RS 46

Unregistered guest
My dad has the above yamaha receiver rated at 50 watts x 2 channels hooked up to Infinity RS 46's from the late 80's. Here's a link to infinity specs http://www.infinityspeakers.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?Prod=CS940024&cat= &sType= Well how can we say this but he is insistent that these speakers are still really good and must say that after having the woofers replaced they didnt sound bad, but they are how can i say somewhat flat. No real bass what so ever Need to know whether he should basically upgrade the whole system, get new speakers. New receiver, mostly uses them just for music Opinions?? anything would be greatly appreciated. subwoofer what

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3509
with a 50wpc receiver your father would be better advised to add a powered subwoofer that has high-level inputs, this way he can get extra and higher-quality bass without placing much more strain on the receiver's power output.

The more bass a speaker puts out, the more demanding of a beefier amp/reciever it usually is.

Jim Lozone
Unregistered guest
problem being the receiver has no subwoofer output, would it be better to get a new receiver altogether, I know that you can hook a sub up to the speaker inputs of a receiver but would a new 100 watt per channel receiver make a big difference

Jim Lozone
Unregistered guest
well would a new receiver do better because the receiver is older 1992 and has no rca input for sub, I know you can hook a sub up via the speaker input but how will that sound. Reason being is his bday is coming up in jan. and he keeps talking about how the speakers have no ooompphh! anymore

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3514
Haven't done it myself, but have never heard of anyone reporting sound degradation by running speaker wires through a sub and then back out to the mains.

If you are leaning towards buying him a full 2-channel setup (receiver + speakers) what kind of budget are you working with?

Jim Lozone
Unregistered guest
Alright, I would say somewhere in the 750-1000 range for everything. Im just trying to get an idea of what I can get and how much of a noticeable change in sound quality there will be updating his speakers to today's standards. I personally think that my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 computer system coupled with a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Soundcard have much cleaner sound than his current speakers, but his are about comparable with my AIWA mini-system (better highs but less bass). Just trying to give you an idea of how they sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us