HSU SFT-2 on Carpet

Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 10
Hello,

I have thick burber carpet and would like to get an HSU SFT-2 sub. I have read that thick carpet might kill the sound from the down firing sub. The sub will be set up next to a wall.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2551
It hasn't killed mine. I use a Hsu VTF2 Mk2 in my HT on a 70's shag carpet (to be replaced next month thank God) and it works beautifully. I have another downfiring sub for the 2 channel part of the system and it works just fine as well. Unless that carpet is REAL TALL I wouldn't worry about it.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 533
Seconded. I have the STF-2 on a carpet somewhat similar to burber. With the spikes the cabinet still sits about 1 to 2 inches above the carpet and I think it sounds just fine.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 402
Loren: I agree with Sem and Art as a low frequency signal will pass through any medium,carpet,wood,concrete,glass etc., so a downfiring sub should be alright on almost any surface. I will add however that I got an Athena ASP4000 for Christmas, which is a downfiring sub. I have it in a small 12'x 15' bedroom with 1/2" standard short pile carpet. I set the sub up at first on the carpet and found it to be ok. The bass though was not quite as tight as I imagined it would be though, so I cut a 1/2"x 16" wood board slightly longer than the total sub footprint and placed the sub on top of it. This effort was worth the difference. The bass was improved noticably although not dramatically. The sound now is a bit more punchy, especially with music and there is a bit more clarity, less boominess and muddiness with the same volume as before. This is a simple experiment you may want to try that costs nearly nothing if it doesn't help at all.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 11
Well I received the sub last Friday $374 b stock in the house. I hooke it up messed with the settings till I got the sound right and WOW. Some of the best audio money I have ever spent. Totaly blows away the Sony 12" I had on both music and movies. Now i don't know who is going to be more pissed. The cop two house up the street or the wife when she see's the credit card bill.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 404
LOL Loren, good luck! You made a excellent choice, the HSU is an outstanding sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us