Arcam vs Outlaw

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 25
i am currently using paradigm studio 20's for front L&R w/ matching cc-470 (surrounds are of a different brand but will soon match w/ adp-470's) and a HSU subwoofer and am trying to decide what to do about powering and processing (old HK receiver is getting replaced secondary to a hum/hiss problem). I listen to music about 70% and movies/TV 30%.

1) I had been heavily thinking about an Arcam AVR300 (factory refurb for about $1600 w/ warranty) but recently have been alerted to Outlaw audio's separates and am wondering which would be better choice. The separates I was looking at ranged in various combos of the 970 or 990 Pre/Pros with the 7125 or 7075 Amps. Costs tend to run from $1300 to $1900 (all dollars american).
2) if i go w/ the outlaw separates, is the 75 watt 7075 enough to power this setup or would i require/be better off w/ the 125 W of the 7125?

Thanks in advance for the help.
-William

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 895
William, just for reference, what was your old H/K model?
Does the volume go up very high with music, and do you listen to 2 channel or more?

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 216
William... I looked at the Arcam AVR300 for my basement system and found it to be a truly excellent unit... far and away the most musical AVR without going into the Megabucks.

But ultimately I decided that its lack of features would probably have me feeling the upgrade bug within a couple of years, and that was a tough pill to swallow on a $2k machine. I ended up going the separates route with an Outlaw amp (755) behind an HK AVR. I'll upgrade the HK to a dedicated pre (like the 990) at some point, but went with it initially to keep the 755 in my budget.

If you do end up with separates, I would recommend the 7125. Your studio 20s will appreciate the extra power.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 26
Nuck, My old HK model is the AVR125 (55W). The volume did go up quite high but i have to say i've had it close to the max when driving all channels w/ some movies. For movies i just do 2 channel (no dvd audio or SACD).

Ziggy, thanks for the input. what's the watts on the 755 and do you feel that it's enough. what features did you feel the Arcam lacked that you would be wanting in the next few years? are you only talking about HDMI stuff or referring to HD dvd players and such?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 217
William... the 755 is 5 x 200W (all channels driven) and is a real powerhouse. My Def Techs LOVE the amp. It's been discontinued though, and the replacement (7500) hasn't been released yet.

As far as the Arcam, video switching is a big one. I could already use that now, and I'd imagine I'll really be wanting it if I do HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I also need a Lip-Sync delay to keep everything together with the projector in the system.

That's not to take anything away from the Arcam. It is indeed a fine machine. But I felt/feel like I have much greater flexibility with the route I chose.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 901
William, price dependant. I tend to overbuy with the future in mind.

This choice is not for everyone, but loking at the $'s involved, why was the used/refurbed there in the first place?

Pony up the bucks and buy new.

Burn it in at your own rate, and learn your new unit firsthand, with your own listening, in your own room.

Of course, I ain't cutting the check...

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 902
William, what speaker set-up do you have?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 904
William, the outlaw model rr2150 is a stereo only brand you might consider.
Although giving up surround, the stereo option is one I have really listened to lately.

Powerful option, and good price!
I listen to concert dvd's in 2.1, mostly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us