Recievers

Anonymous

I want to upgrade my audio system. Recievers Rotel RSX 1056 and NAD T-753 are both about the same price. Any other recievers I should look at?

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 205
I'd also consider the Outlaw AVR1070. I'd stay far away from the NAD based on the hum/hiss problems that they can't seem to fix.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2542
I agree with Ziggy. Give the Outlaw careful consideration as well as the Rotel. I owned the NAD T763 and couldn't get past the hum/hiss issue.

Anonymous

Thanks a million for the timely feedback. I would have bought a NAD this afternoon. So it is Outlaw vs Rotel.
Am I losing a lot with a 5.1 system compared with a 7.1?

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 209
That's for you to decide. There's nothing being released at this time in a true 7.1 format, only information being processed by a receiver and sent to those 2 extra channels. There's also the cost issue of 2 extra speakers. I myself find 5.1 sufficient, although I do have my basement theater wired to add 2 more speakers when the source material exists.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 603
No you are not

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3479
Ah yes, Rotel:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6492921#post6492921

and NAD T763:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5907972&&#post5907972

Anonymous

Outlaw sells online. How would one go about comparing them with Rotel other that datasheets? They are 65W/ch. Good enough or need to go preamp-amp?

Any feedback on their LFM-1 Sub?

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 212
Outlaw allows you audition for 30 days. The only way to compare against the Rotel would be to buy the Outlaw and either a) buy the Rotel and return whichever you like less, or b) bring the Outlaw to a store that sells Rotel (if they'll let you) and AB them there. That is the problem with buying from online retailers.

For the power, the 65W/ch is a true All-channels driven number, and it will outpower most big box store-bought "100+wpc" AVRs very easily. It's also 65 High-current watts, which will help driving your speakers.

I haven't heard the LFM-1 sub, but there are many people you can ask on the Outlaw forums. I have heard good things, but have no direct experience, and have no idea how they compare to subs from HSU, SVS, Velodyne, etc.

Anonymous

Thank you Ziggy. If I were to buy a graphic equalizer,

1. I have a CD/DVD/Tape decks. Would the equalizer take all these inputs and the output goes to the input of the AVR?

2. Is it better to go for a Preamp - Amp?

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 218
1. I've never used a graphic equalizer, so I can't even begin to help you with that one.

2. A preamp/amp combo is going to give you a lot more performance and greater flexibility for upgrading, but it's also going to cost you more. Even the least expensive Outlaw combo (970/7075) will set you back $1300. A less expensive alternative is to buy an inexpensive AVR from Denon/Yamaha/HK/Pioneer to use as a preamp, but I wouldn't do that with the 7075.

Username: Kdemirda

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 8
ARCAM 250 or 300 way better 2 channel sound and has a Direct option to avoid the digital processors.

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 219
Big jump in price there Karim... I think the OP's budget is around $1k based on his choices.

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 33
A graphic equalizer for home audio is usually designed to be connected to a tape monitor loop like a tape deck. This way, it is possible to use the equalizer on all of the input sources (CD/DVD) that plug into the receiver/preamp in the normal way. It also makes it easy to bypass the equalizer if desired. The tape deck may be a little different though. Some equalizers duplicate the tape monitor input/output jacks so that it is possible to hook up the tape deck to the equalizer and still maintatin all of the tape deck's recording capabilities along with equalization. Most graphic equalizers for home audio that I know of are designed for 2-channel. There is a forum dedicated to equalizers here on Ecoustics and you may be able to get more current information there about using an equalizer and specific products that are available.

Happy New Year

Anonymous

I have a Kenwood AR404 reviever that works OK. To upgrade my audio system, Can I keep this reciever and connect output to the input of a preamp of a new Preamp-Amp system?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 923
ctanaka, I had one of the firet Akai DAI300's( I think) in Canada, and it was awesome! Analyser/pre/pro and cheap.
2 channel, but 1 step from 5, I don't think Akai lived long after that(boo!)
Very useful tool!

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 34
Nuck,

Yeah, I have an old ADC equalizer that hasn't been used since I was doing some recording. Apparently, equalizers for home audio use are still alive and well...you just have to look around a bit. I googled "multichannel equalizer" and quickly found the following:

http://www.nextag.com/Audiosource-EQ-100-Stereo--zz3042585z0z0z1zhome_audio_equa li~erzB9az2--COMPARE-PRICES-html

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/frames.html?http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/diva/diva.html

Along with many choices in between as well as pro sound units. If someone really wanted equalization on all channels cheaply, three of the Audiosource units would handle a 5/6.1 system at about $180. For me...I leave the tone controls defeated.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 928
ctanaka, thanks for the links.

Anonymous

I bought an OUTLAW AV1070. I hope it can drive the ML Ascents, HSU VTF 3 MK2 and ventriloquist.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 990
Your Outlaw will drive that combo very well, I figgur.
They really are industrial strength pieces, those Outlaws.

Username: Shanem284

Post Number: 1
I have a pioneer vsx-4400, harmon kardon cdr 2 CD Recorder, and a panasonic DVD/CDR deck model pv-d734s I am in need of some serious help in setting this up can anyone help me...
thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us