Paradigm vs. Def Tech

Unregistered guest
I am starting to build my home theater system to be used in my basement. I have just purchased a Denon AVR-2106 receiver. I need some help deciding on which speaker system to buy.

First off, my basement is finished with wood panel walls (insulated), about 7' high drop ceiling, and is an "L-shape" formation about 30' one way and 20' the other. My listening and viewing area will be at the corner of the "L" and is about a 12'x15' area. The other areas of the basement are open to the theater area.

I would like to keep my speaker budget to under $2000. These are the two systems I am considering...

Definitive Technology
Fronts -- BP7006's
Rears -- BP2X's
Center -- Mythos Three or Mythos Seven (which?)

Paradigm
Fronts -- Monitor 7's
Rears -- ADP-170's or ADP-370's (which?)
Center -- CC-370

I can get a 15% discount with the Def Tech dealer. My main issues are basically:

1) Any reason why one brand would be much better than the other?
2) Will the built in subs in the BP7006's be enough to replace a dedicated sub box? If not, what type of sub to get?
3) If the Paradigm system is the better deal, should I go with a Paradigm or Velodyne sub and which kind?

Any help or opinions I can get would be great.

Username: Rileyryanne

Post Number: 5
If your in the market for a Paradigm v.4 Center Channel cc-370 i have one that i would like to possibly sell. I have been using it with my mini monitors but will upgrade to studio series in the coming months. Is in perfect condition, not a scratch and never abused in a non smoking home. Let me know if you are interested? Otherwise i will be putting it up on ebay shortly.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 272
I like the Paradigms over the Def Techs. Bass reproduction in the def techs is not to my liking. Paradigms, even their signature 8s, Which I recently audtioned for several hours actually, ar a bit fatiguiing for me- but are the better choice in my opinion.

Anonymous

"1) Any reason why one brand would be much better than the other? "

Little beyond personal preference. Both brands build high quality speakers. Listen to both, and take your pick of which is the most natural sounding.

"2) Will the built in subs in the BP7006's be enough to replace a dedicated sub box? If not, what type of sub to get? "

Potentially, but it depends on how big of a basshead you are. If it is not sufficient, HSU, Outlaw, SVS, Velodyne, etc all have subwoofers worth a look.

"3) If the Paradigm system is the better deal, should I go with a Paradigm or Velodyne sub and which kind? "

The one that sounds best to you. Both make decent subwoofers. I would also suggest looking at some internet-direct mfrs as numerous people say they offer superior value. This would be HSU, SVS, Outlaw...

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 202
As the others have noted, it is a matter of personal preference more than anything. I prefer (and bought) Def Tech for HT use with some music. I love the Paradigm Studio series for a system geared more for music. Unlike Marc, I think the bass in the DefTech 7000 series is a big improvement over their previous powered towers, and integrates better with the other drivers than any external sub will. That being said, I felt like the 7006s were the weak link in the 7000 series, and if you can swing the upgrade to the 7004s (or better yet the 7002s) you will be greatly rewarded.

But there are a few caveats. Def Techs are very picky about room placement. The bipolar design with side-firing subs can be VERY thin or overly boomy if not placed well. They also LOVE power. They are very easy to drive and sound good with an older Denon (3802/1082) and a newer HK (AVR235) but really sing with a dedicated power amp.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us