7ch stereo vs DTS (or DTS EX)

Username: Rmory

Post Number: 1
I have a yamaha rx-v1400, when watching a movie (example, star wars III) i notice that 7ch stereo sounds more full. I gather that's because all speakers are used. However I'm wondering if this is better than DTS EX. That is when selecting 7ch stereo does it still respect all the surround effects? Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7024

Once you have applied DSP to get "effects" whatever you decide is "better" is what you should use. Not sure what you mean by "respect".

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 123
7Ch stereo will most likely take the 2channel audio then spread that to all the speakers. Where as the DTS, or DD will give you the intended sound from each speakers. So instead of having voices coming from all speakers, it will be coming from the front speakers. The stuff that is supposed to be in the surround will only be in the surround speakers with DTS, and DD. Now that might not be how that receivers 7 channel stereo works. But it would be easy to check. Play a movie using DD, or DTS where you have one person talking thats just coming out of the front or center speaker. Then turn it to 7channel stereo and see if you are getting that same voice but out of all the speakers.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us