Onkyo TX-SR603X vs. Yamaha RX-V657

reschaff
Unregistered guest
I'm looking @ moving to a new receiver and I think I'm narrowed down to the Onkyo TX-SR603X vs. Yamaha RX-V657. I currently have an RX-V660 which I've enjoyed, but I also really like my in-laws' TX-SR701. I'm having trouble finding editorial reviews on the Onkyo, but user reviews seem very positive. The Yammy gets good to raving reviews, but I wonder if I have efficient enough speaker to get the best out of it, based on some of what I've read. Speakers include Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 fronts, Yamaha NSAC3 center, and NSA770 rears (no sub yet, but I'll be looking as soon as I have a handle on this receiver thing). I'd really appreciate any input. I live in a rural area and there's no place around here to listen to them side by side (or at all for the Onkyo, except in the middle of a crowded Circuit City :-(). btw, can anyone shed some light on what Onkyo means when they say the TX-SR603X has "Enhanced IPOD Compatability"? I know they make an iPod dock, but that's supposed to work with any Onkyo from the last 10 years.

reschaff
Unregistered guest
Just realized I mistyped. I currently have an RX-V670, not a 660.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 748
Onkyo just means that if you buy their optional IPod dock it hooks up easily to your IPod. You should have little problem connecting an IPOD to Yammy.

You probably need better speakers from one brand more than a new receiver, but that said they are both fine receivers at their price point. I would probably lean toward the Yamaha, as it has their latest automatic speaker balancing system, that is one of the better ones on the market.

At some point I am sure you will want a good self-powered subwoofer to relieve pressure from your speakers and to get much better bass performance, particularly when playing dvd's. And it should always be a self-powered subwoofer, as a passive subwoofer would put far too much pressure on the amp section of either receiver.

Unregistered guest
Recently received the TX SR603X and so far so good:
iPod interaction is more than hooking up easily. With the DS-A1 dock you can charge the iPod, listen to music through the receiver in several modes, view photos and more importantly you can control all of the iPod functions with the receivers control. Purchased the Onkyo DS-A1 for $79, much better deal than any other dock out there for the price.
The Onkyo also has an automatic speaker set-up that is very easy and effective to use with screens displayed on the tv.
Best part is the price ($375) for the performance of this unit. It is XM-ready (need to purchase a connect-and-play antenna, already ordered $15.98 with rebate). It has many av/video inputs and a remote that although somewhat overwhelming once you figure it out can control the dvd, tv, ipod, & satellite. Don't know anything about the Yamaha but the Onkyo is a great unit for the price. Unit is large so check your space. CONS: Manual could be clearer on connection details & unit does run hot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us