Help, Rotel or Arcam

Username: Kdemirda

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 1
need to decide which AVR to get and i have narrowed it down to the ARCAM 300 or the Rotel 1067...thoughts, i have a pair of Nautilus 804s and want good two channel as well as surround sound. Thanks and happy holidays.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2519
They are both very good receivers but the Arcam is a better performer in all respects. It's the best "music" AVR I've heard under 5k.

Bronze Member
Username: Nadz

California

Post Number: 20
I would definitely go seperates if youre driving B&W Nautilus speakers. They are extremely demanding speakers and only sound there best with top notch amplifiers and sources. The Rotel and Arcam are great products but not for driving the Nautilus line.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 593
Aren't Rotel and B&W owned by the same company?

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 21
Yes. But that has nothing to with things. It's power thing. The receivers stated are not capable of driving the Nautilus line properly. Seperate amps such as the RB 1080 or larger would be needed. Possibly 2 RB1070's in a passive bi-amp situation could work as well.

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Okay but would the fact that you can bi-amp with the ARCAM 300 make a difference in your point of view?

jrcbc
Unregistered guest
Considering the Arcam 250, Rotel 1056 or the Vincent Audio SV 382. Has anybody heard the Vincent receiver? It was just reviewed by SoundStage Mag.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1108
Karim,

Biamping the 804s with the Arcam would make an enormous difference. The Arcam should cope in single-amped mode, but biamping would give a lot more headroom to the system, and I would feel more confident of a good result.

Of the two receivers mentioned, I would choose the Arcam over the Rotel because of its musical ability. The Rotel has far better power and drive but doesn't get to the heart of the matter so well.

Regards,
Frank.

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks Frank, i am definately going to go the root of Bi-Amping the ARCAM 300.

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 24
The biamping will help. But you still will not realize the speakers full potential with a receiver. Seperate high powered amps IMO are the only way to go with the Nautilus line.

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 5
the beauty with the ARCAM 300 is that you can add a power amp if need be...that is in addition to biamping...not bad right?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1116
Indeed you can. The top of the range monoblocks from Arcam (the FMJ P1) make a big difference. They have loads of power with refinement - real chain mail fist in velvet glove stuff - but then you'd expect that since they cost mosre than the AVR300 itself!

The beauty of the system is that you can add any amps as and when you need them. It's best to stay within one brand to keep timbre-matched of course, hence my suggestion of the Arcams. The P1s would certainly make your 804s work for a living.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2540
It has been suggested on this forum that if you add external amps to a receiver that it isn't much of a receiver. I disagree and think that the Arcam with external amps (not necessarily Arcam) would sound very nice indeed.

Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 3
I'm not a big fan of Rotel myself. If I had to choose between Rotel and Arcam it would be no contest.

Why are you only considering just Rotel and Arcam? There are so many other brands that make comparable products.

I never see anyone mentioning Anthem on these board and am just curious if any has owned or used them. I have listened to them and think they are very fine products.

Have you considered Anthem Karim?

Bronze Member

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 11
i did not consider Anthem and simply narrowed the universe based on what was on hand at the various higher end Audio Vid stores in NYC. Truth be told, i looked hard at the Outlaw 1070 but was not happy withe the power (65 Watts per channel).

Bronze Member
Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 12
So have you settled on the Arcam Karim?

HOw much were you looking to spend?

The B & K 507 is a nice reciever but it's about $2800.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 463
I will second B&K... It had no problem what so ever driving a pair of MartinLogans to levels that I wouldn't come across in routine listening.

Bronze Member

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 12
i listened to the various receivers and thought that the ARCAM had superior 2 channel sound. That being said I liked the fact that I could bi-amp my speakers and that the Arcam allows you to bypass the surround sournd circuitry on two channel sound.

So far i am very happy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us