Sub HummmmM

Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 7
Hello,

My house came pre-wired for HT setup. everything went together fine I used wall plates with jacks to hook everything up. Well for the sub wire the builder used some kind of #24 four wire that is tin foil insulated and out side the insulation there is a bare wire running just under the outer jacket . I had to buy an RCA plate with screw on terminals for it. Now when my receiver is off I get a HUMMM from my sub. I ran a stock RCA over the floor to the sub and the hum was gone! When I hook it back up to the pre-wire back comes the hum. Could the bare wire be a ground wire? If so what do I ground it to?

I called the builder and they said to call the subcontractor who did the job. So I called them, they would not tell me a dam thing and wanted $300 to come out and hook everything up. I told them that I had it all hooked up and was just needing help with the sub wire. They said if we come to your house its $300 no matter what.

Can some one here help me save $300??? PLEASE

Thank You

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 8
This is the wire they used http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=825%26item%3DPLC-4&t ype=store

what could I hook the drain wie to?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7010

The link doesn't load. I would just ignore the drain wire and use the internal cable only.

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 9
well,

I think I fixed it. I hooked up the drain wire on one end only, the sub end to the - terminal. well it worked like a charm. NO more hum and the sub sounds just as good as if where hooked up with an RCA cable. I stayed up all night last night reading off the internet and found this to be the answere. I had to do about 20 different google searches to find it. Dam contractors just want to make money.

Username: Rockford15x4

Vernon, B.C. Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi

my home theater:
harman/kardon avr 130
front=Quest qt88 tower speakers
rear=Quest qt88 tower speakers
center=Quest qc5
subs=rockford RFP4815 x 4
amp=MTX mxa6001
1 farad cap
moto master bower box

My problem is when the charger is hooked up to the battery it makes a humm. everything else workes fine its just that humm. what can I do, is there a power filter i can buy or am I stuck with the humm.

any feed back would be helpfull

thanx

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us