Linn Asak to Conrad-Johnson Premier 2 Advice

Username: Johnh

NJ USA

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am new to these forums, but have seen some interesting discussions from some obviously knowledgable people and I am sure that you will have good answers to my question.

My problem is simple. I would like to boost the output from my Linn Asak moving coil cartridge (in a LP12/Linn Itok) so that the CJ Premier 2 sees an input level that more closely "matches" the levels from the CD player (computer) and tuner.

[By "matches" I mean that I don't have to move the volume control from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock - twice as far from min to max - to get the same volume from the speakers when selecting phono.]

So, what is there available (new or used) that would do a good job with the 0.2mV output voltage of the Asak?

Thanks everyone.

John

[OTHER EQUIPMENT: The Premier 2 is connected to a Dynakit Stereo 70 that used to drive Quad Electrostatics. The Quads went because of the "space issues" - low WAF. After a number of years where this equipment has sat mostly dormant it is now set up in my home office with "temporary" speakers (temporary until I can get something good - been looking at the speakers forum to get input on that) and attached to a computer that acts as a music server.]

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6994

There's not much you can do if you want to continue using the same cartridge. Switching to a higher putput cartridge would be the best solution though its unlikely you will get the same level from any cartridge/hpono section when compared against any CD player. I don't remember the Premier 2 well enough to answer anything specific about its design. Are you using any sort of moving coil step up device? What type of tubes are used in the 2's phono section (12AX7, 12AU7, 6DJ8)?

The problem you will run into is excessive noise when you try to increase the phono section's output. It is much easier to step down the line level sources' output than it is to step up the phono section's output.

Username: Johnh

NJ USA

Post Number: 2
Jan, thanks for the quick response.

I don't have "any sort of moving coil step up device".

I believe the phono input on the Premier 2 is designed for a moving magnet cartridge (I've included the specs copied from CR site below.)

Specifications:
Gain: Phono Stage 40 dB (phono overload 500 mV at 1kHz) Line Stage 27 dB
Distortion: less than .05% THD or IMD
Response: bandpass 2Hz to more than 100kHz
RIAA equalization +/- .25 dB (20 to 20 kHz)
S/N Ratio: Phono Stage 72 dB below 10 mv input / Line Stage 84 dB below 2.5 volt output

So, I suppose my real question is "What moving coil step up device would be a good match to sit between the Asak and the Premier 2, without giving up too much in sound quality?"

Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7007

I probably can't offer much help there. Picking a step up device is like picking a pre amp; you have to choose what suits your needs, taste and budget. At this point you could probably improve the performance of the CJ if you went with a fairly new dedicated phono pre amp designed to acccept a MC cartridge. Otherwise step up tansformers and pre amps are all over the board as far as price. Unless you have something specific in mind I would look through what's avaialable on a site such as Audiogon or Audio Classics and see if any strikes your fancy.

Or, you can get a different cartidge. The Asak is a design that can be bettered today for about what you'd pay for a step up device and then you'd have a new cartridge. After this amount of time, the suspension in the Linn is likely to have dried out and could stand replacing. If you go this route, just pick a cartridge with higher output.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us