Polk speakers

Username: Sparty

Post Number: 4
Can anyone give me some info on Polk speakers? I am looking at the RTI6 for the front, R15 for the rear and I can't remember the Sub and Center. I am more concerned with the front and rear speakers. I have listened to them in the store and they sound nice. Before I buy them I would like to know if anyone has them or has had some experience with them.

Thanks
Merry Christmas
Brian

Bronze Member
Username: Nik3

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 71
you should go rti6 for fronts and pay a bit more money for rti4s as rears r15 are not voice mathed to the rt speaker i no what center your thinking of and subs by polk are not great i would save money with velodyne and have better bass that would be a killer sound system i am usen rti8 and tri4s with my set up and its a great set up

Rumadian
Unregistered guest
Brian,

The RTi-4 is the most compotent design Polk Audio currently has out. The selection of drivers, voicing, cross over point and enclosure volume is spot on for the design. There is a good reason why the Rti-4 made Stereophiles recommended component list last year - it is a ridiculously good speaker for its current market price of $220-250 a pair.

I personally feel it is the best sounding RTi speaker available - but sound is a matter of personal preference so I will leave this for you to decide. Your next best bet will of course be the RTi-6. This speaker too, sounds pretty darned good. The RTi-6 is also more ideal if for 'main's in a moderate to large sized room. They can also belt out much higher SPL than the RTi-4, without becoming congested and over-whelmed (to a reasonable point, of course).

The R15's are excellent in their own right. Timbre matching - or using the same series of speakers all the way around - is the most popular approach towards surround sound. For 80-90% of the people out there, this is a sure-fire method that gives satisfactory results. If possible, use an RTi speaker for surrounds.

The R15 is very good, and recent close out at Frys *www.outpost.com* had them selling at damn near give-away prices. Now, the R15 is much more rolled off (smoother?) than the Rti series. It is also not as efficient. This means details will not shine through quite as clear and you may need to bump up the R15 on the receiver or processor by 2-3db - give or take. While the Rti-4 or an FX speaker would be an ideal match for a surround - the R15 can get the job done if money is an issue.

As Nikolas suggested - avoid Polk subs. Velodyne is an easy to access alternative. If you are ok with buying online, the popular alternatives for surround sound typically include SVS or HSU. Polk Audio, for whatever reason, has trouble with their sub-woofers. The only exceptions would be the psw-300 / psw-1200 / and the powered woofs found in the Rt2000p and the Rt3000p.

Username: Sparty

Post Number: 5
Hey Guys, thanks very much for all of the input. I really appreciate it. Have a great Christmas.

Brian
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us