Need help with choosing amp & speakers

Username: Stonez

Post Number: 1
Hi there,

I need some help in pairing amp with speakers.

The speakers I have in mind are the following from Canton: Karat 707, Karat 709 or Karat 711. For specs look at: http://canton.de/index.php?pg_id=12,12

Which pair of speaker to choose depends on which will be driven the best by the amps in my price range. The price range is up to ca. 2000 dollars.

The amps that I favor are : Rotel RA-03, the Rotel RC-03 Pre-Amp with RB-03 Power Amp or Arcam FMJ A32. The reason for these to be shortlisted: great reviews, available in my country (insurance) and looks (yes, looks do matter to me).

Most of the time I listen to alternative rock (mostly post-rock and experimental alternative) and jazz (cool-jazz, avant-garde and post- and hard bop). So basically some days I will be listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor and others Brian Eno and others Miles Davis and so on.

So the questions are:

A) Will any of these Karats be driven well with an amp of ca. 70-100 watts per channel (8 ohm) ?

B) If yes, can I go with the 250w Karat 711 or should I go with a less powerful pair ?

C) Is there much difference in the sound of the Rotels and the Arcam - would the much more expensive Arcam be worth it with these speakers?

D) Are there any other amps I should be looking at (Intergrated or separates)?

I personally like the RC-03 + RB-03 combo most because I would have the option of adding another power amp later on.

And maybe one final input. Since the speakers can handle a really wide frequency range (20/22/24 Hz up to 40.000 Hz) I would certainly like to take advantage of that. Is that possible with these amps? I plan to use no CD player... Only Pro-Ject Debut III turntable with a cartridge that has frequency response to above 40k Hz.

With thanks in advance. And oh yeah... If this post is confusing don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to explain better.

Thanks again!

Username: Bee_rad

Bethesda, MD US

Post Number: 1
Stonez,

I currently own a pair of the L800's, the direct predessessor of the 711s. I drive them with the Rotel RMB1095 (200W x 5), available in the US. I do not think a single RB03 will drive the 711s well - perhaps a pair that are bridged to mono, or the RB1080 if you can get it. Not sure about the difference between the Arcam and Rotel, though Arcam stuff is generally better. Lots of other amps to consider too, I will be upgrading to a Parasound Halo A51 later this year - an A23 would work very well with the 707s or 709s, but not enough for the 711s. You are a brave man to not own a CD player! No matter which speaker/amp you end up getting, the highs and mids will be absolutely spectacular! The Cantons are especially great with progressive rock - this is what I listen to most. You will be most impressed with the imaging and dynamic range. Are you getting the Silver or Black speakers?

Username: Stonez

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your answer Brad, it certainly clears some things up.

And I am getting the silver, which are just breathtaking to me - work of art.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us