Digital Cables vs Component help

Bronze Member
Username: Jake272727

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 63
As you might know im new to all of this i just recieved my denon 2910 dvd today and wanted to find out what is the best way to run my system. I have an hk avr 7300 reciever with 5 ascend 340s and my svs pb12plus2 sub. my tv is just a regular 36" jvc about 6 years old. What cables kind of cables should i run and where should i run them thanks.

just trying
Unregistered guest
Oh boy. If your tv has only composite in's run a regular video cable from your receivers "monitor out" to your tv set. Now hook up your dvd's video cable to your "dvd" video in jack on the receiver. Next hook up the dvd's audio cable, which is either a toslink digital cable or a coaxial digital cable. Hook up the rest of your components in the same fashion and your set.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 554
You may want to upgrade your TV at some point to an HDTV with a DVI input to get the true resolution from that 2910.

Yes my friend this is an expensive hobby to get into.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 190
Chromed' out 24" spinners on a '87 honda civic...

that's a pretty high end dvd for such an old display.

for some people it's about the bling next to the tv.... not the tv itself.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 64
lol yes i know my tv is kinda old it does have an s video. is s video better than just the av jacks?

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 78
Yes S-video is better than the a/v jacks.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 66
ok i hooked up my dvd player with the optical cord going to the reciever and the component jacks going to the reciever and the analog jacks going there but now in dts mode watching jurasic park all i can hear is background noise in 5.1 but i can hear every thing in the 2 channel stereo dts mode anyone know why?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 237
The DVD player audio OPtical goes to receiver. Both your reciever and your DVD player will have to be set up correctly for you to hear the DTS signal. ON the DVD player, check out audio options and look for PCM and signal and other options.( I think it says bitstream as an option) Usually only one of the options works for DTS. And I am too lazy to look up the right one and too tired. Someone else will likely jump in or you can do a little trial and error.The video cable from your DVD player should go direct to the display unles you have other video sources as well. So take the s -video cable or whatever you are using and go directly to the TV. S-Vid to receiever with composite out is truely less than optimal.

PS- there is no such thing as a two channel DTS mode- this is, I think, an oxymoron.

Username: Jmaraven22

Baltimore, Maryland

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone! I am new to this Audio stuff, so i have a few questions. I recently bought a DLP Tv, and have it hooked up to the cable box, via HDMI. I have a Harman Kardon AVR 335 and want to hook up my DVD Player and PS2 so i get the best pic and sound. I have heard something about Optical cables, but not sure how to hook them up or if i need them and Component Cables with them. Any info would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 194
wow, thread jacked....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us