Need suggestions for new turntable purchase and cartridge

Username: Macisgr8

Jacksonville, FL USA

Post Number: 1
I have maybe 50 albums from the '80's that I'd like to play now and again. I'd like to get them into my Macintosh's iTunes library too.

My old turntable, Hitachi HT-354, still works but has some grounding noise problems.
My old cartridge, Shure Presence 7, sounds pretty good but I'm sure the needle could use a replacement.
I wonder how it compares to todays phono cartridges?

I will probably need a preamp unless the recommended turntable comes with one built-in. A tube preamp would be great.

And the turntable needs to have a cueing lever. I can't believe that many, if not most new turntables don't have this standard feature of the old days.

I'm not opposed to replacing all my current stuff.
Overall, I'd like a great sounding setup for less than $400-$500.
All help is greatly appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1078
Have a look at the Pro-Ject, Thorens and Rega lines of turntables. Pro-Ject also produce an inexpensive phono stage called the Phono Box which is a fine stage.

I don't know how the Shures compare with modern cartridges.

Most tonearms have cueing levers. There's not many that don't. Most turntables do not feature automatic features such as automatic lift of the arm at the end of side. These automatic features usually introduce noise in the system (even when they're not in use) so quality manufacturers tend not to install them. However, Thorens might still do so.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 798
I was just going to say the same things. I was at the same place about 6 months ago as you are now. Ultimately I ended up with a Pro-Ject 1Xpression and NAD PP2 phono pre-amp.

I first bought a Pro-Ject Debut III. It was a very good table and worth every penny of it's $300 price tag. My dealer had a 30 day trade up policy and I traded up for the 1 Xpression ($450). Both tables are great sounding and very well built, but the 1 Xpression is a better table and a better value IMO. It is easily worth the extra $150. If it were $300 more than the Debut I'd still be able to justify the extra cost to myself.

The Pro-Ject Phono Box as Frank mentioned is about $130, as is the NAD PP2. I bought the PP2 because that was what my dealer had in stock. I've been told by several different sources that they are pretty much sonically identicle.

Both tables also come with cartridges mounted. The Debut has an Ortofon and the 1 Xpression has a Sumiko Oyster. I have no idea how these compare to Shure cartridges.

For more info on these tables, check out the "Any experience w/ Pro-Ject Debut III?" thread I started a little while back. -

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/161465.html

Username: Johnnyesox

Glasgow, Strathclyde Scotland

Post Number: 3
As Frank says,Rega T.T's are worth a look,just bought an immaculate Planar3, 2nd hand off E.Bay to get back into the black stuff myself,teamed it up with the mentioned Pro-ject phono box,replaced the Linn k9 cartridge that was on it with the Rega Elys,popped it on the wall with a Rega wall bracket from Loud and Clear audio [Glasgow]and....wow!By the way Frank,the K9 is now on a SME arm on a fine example of a Fons CQ30,have you heard one of them,well set up?...cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Southern_bass

Jacksonville, Florida U.S.

Post Number: 63
yep

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1082
John,

Never had the pleasure of listening to a Fons, sadly. Just before my time I think.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 803
The Rega decks are extremely hard to find on E-Bay in the US. They are far more common and most likely more reliable from Audiogon.com.

Jacksonville, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Pro-Ject Debut III, 1 Xpression and NAD 533 which brought up more questions.

I actually purchased a Stanton T.80 but am returning it because it doesn't have a cueing lever.

How would the Stanton TT compare in sound quality to the Debut III?

Is belt drive better than direct drive?
I would think as the belt stretches the speed of the TT would change.

Does the Pro-Ject's TT require high gram tracking weight? Someone mentioned like 2.3 grams.

And what's the deal with the weighted line off the tone arm? I was thinking it was the anti-skate but it has a straight tone arm.
And is a straight tone arm better than an S shaped one?

Someone mentioned that the felt covering would static-cling to the record when it was removed.
True/False?

And I read a lot about upgrading tonearms, isolating the motor, basically tweaking the TT like it's a '69 Ford Mach 1 w/a V8 428 Cobra Jet.

Does it ever end???? :-)

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 807
It never ends. I think that's a good thing. My wife and bank account have a slightly different opinion though.

I haven't heard that particular Stanton TT, so I can't say how it would compare. Every Stanton I've heard has been geared towards DJ'ing. They have different demands and are built for different purposes. If you treat a hi-fi TT like a DJ TT, you aren't going to be very happy, and vice versa. Generally speaking DJ tables don't sound anywhere near as good as hi-fi tables if you have a good stereo system.

Both Pro-Ject tables have a cueing lever.

As far as shapes of tone arms, direct drive vs belt drive, felt mats, etc. Their is no one best way to do anything.

S shaped tone arms (as far as I know) have nothing to do with anti-skating. They are designed that way for rigidity and reduce standing waves. The weight on the string is an anti-skate weight.

Belt drive TT's generally sound better than direct drive because the motor is better isolated from the table. Dircet drive TT's generally have higher "rumble" and a higher noise floor overall. They are mainly designed for back cueing and faster startups.

Belt drive tables generally don't have problems keeping a steady pace unless their are problems with the belt of motor.

Felt mats (like everything else) can static cling to records if their is enough static electricity around. They also help grip the record so that it doesn't slip. Their are some anti-static mats on the market if you have a static electricity problem. I bought a different mat and basically eliminated the problem I had.

The Pro-Ject's TT doesn't require a high tracking weight, the cartridge does. The Sumiko Oyster (on the 1 Xpression) requires 2.3 grams. Most other cartridges require less. It has been argued that this isn't a problem unless you are constantly playing the same record over and over again for a long time. A different cartridge (such as a Grado Blue) will most likely track at far less weight.

The NAD 533 is a re-baged Rega deck (I think the P2) I think the same deck is also sold as a Goldring deck, but I could be wrong. I don't have any experience with this (Rega) deck.

The best thing to do is listen to these TT's. It's getting harded and harder to find dealers who've got them on the floor. I live 15 minutes outside of Manhattan and couldn't find dealers who had them on display. Most of them said they would have to special order them.

Jacksonville, FL USA

Post Number: 3
Well I'm convinced now that various products can make big differences in the quality of the sound produced.

I'm a big RUSH fan so I am quite familiar with the album Permanent Waves, I listened to my old TT and Shure cartridge, and it sounded decent, I hooked up the Stanton TT and the supplied cartridge and tried to listen to the same songs but I didn't get 30 seconds into the first one, man, did it sound bad.
So then I took the Shure and mounted it on the Stanton TT and the same songs sounded much better, more open. That got me excited about buying some good stuff.

So is the Needle Doctor one of the best on-line sites to buy from?

They have a Goldring GR1.2, Music Hall MMF-2.1 that was reviewed well and affordable. There is a NAD 533 (open box) for $331. The Pro-Ject DEBUT III for $300.

I'm gonna need a Preamp too I guess.
What are the thoughts on a Bellari VP129 Tube? Another affordable preamp is a Parasound Z-Phono Preamp or the NAD PP2.

Thanks for all your help. I'm gonna make the purchases this coming week and I'll report back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us