Need a speaker expert!

Username: Mrmoney

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
What goes good with an Onkyo TX-SR803 receiver? I'm looking for 5.1 in the $900 - $1200 range.

Appreciate your help

ron o

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 421
Paradigm go well with Onkyo.

Look for speaker packages in the Paradigm monitor range. The systems built around the minimonitors and monitor 3's will suit your purposes well, depending on how big your room is, and how loud you listen.

www.paradigm.com

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks, my room is 11x23 and I'm not into really loud but want quality

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 426
I would also look at Ascend Acoustics, but not sure how well they go with onkyo.

My Paradigm dealer has the two paired up together, and they blend nicely.

For a room that size, I would suggest the Monitor 3 bookshelf mains, CC-270 center,, and ADP-170 surround speakers if you can live without a subwoofer for the time being. The Monitor 3's have an 8 inch woofer that has a surprising amount of bass for its size.

I would definatly stay away from Axiom audio however. (www.axiomaudio.com) They have a reputation for being very excessive in the highs, and with the onkyo reciever, the two paired up may be too much of a good thing.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6902

Doubled Emmas.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm

No sub required.

Deep bass.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 233
I use an Onkyo receiver with Ascend 170s and they sound wonderful, suprisingly. Very revealing of a variety of CD subtleties, not overly bright ( soft dome tweeters).

I use the same receiver for my XM in house reception, record player, as well as a cheapy but new stand alone CD player. All sounds mighty fine for casual listening.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 737
I'll be able to give you a side by side of the Ascend 170s and the Emmas within a month if you want to wait that long.

As to the Paradigm mini-monitors, at least I think that was the comparison, go here for someone else's thoughts:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/reviews/HT%26S_Ascend.pdf

Good luck, Dave

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2432
The Paradigm speakers that were compared are the Esprit from the Performance series which is the series below the the Monitor series. They never bothered to compare the 2 speakers performance against each other sans the subs which was a clear mismatch with Hsu outclassing the PDR12 by a mile and even then the they only spoke of the bass being better in the Ascend system (translation: the Hsu sub). Other than that they spoke of the differences as differences not one being better than the other.

Hard to believe that it's a horse race between the Esprits and the Ascends and folks have the audacity to say that the Ascends compare favorably to the Paradigm Reference series. I used to own the Esprits and the Mini Monitors blow them away let alone the Studio 20's.

Both Jan and Gavin's recommendations seem sound although if you will be using the system for movies I suggest adding a sub to Jan's. Ascends may also work as they appear to be a good value.

Right now Paradigm is offering a brushed metal finish on their Monitor series and that means a considerably lower price. The Monitor 5 can be had for around $400 and they would make nice mains to the Mini's in the rear. Lots of options. I would also look into the JM Focal Lab speakers.

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
Appreciate all your help here, the room is going to be for movies and HDcable movies and sports mostly and maybe 10% of the time for music. Probably want some good bass in there....

ron o

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3371
Ron,

for a 90% HT system and with you wanting "some good bass," what would go well with your Onkyo 803 would be some Athena speakers from audioadvisor.com --- this would allow you to splurge on the subwoofer, which you will REALLY enjoy.

Athena AS-B1s, 2 pairs for $200
Athena AS-C1 center channel, $100
from audioadvisor.com

For $900 add this:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-isd2.cfm

And you will be very, very happy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us