Speeds??

Username: Moses_ulrich

Post Number: 1
hey.this prob seems like a basic dumb kinda question.

gona buy a record player but confused bout the speeds needed.
ders 33rpm 45 and 78 i think.

wats the story wit them? wat speeds r needed etc?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6898

33 & 45.

Username: Hartley_zodiak

Chitenanger, Yes Guamm

Post Number: 3
What just a dang minute. Aren't we being just a wee bit unfair to 78rpms? If you want true audiophile sound, there is nothing to beat 78s. This was a recording medium cut down in the prime of its life, just as it was beginning to achieve its true potential. If you want great sound, I say it is time to bring back 78s. Have you ever heard a fresh pressing of a 78 with a tube amplifier? The sound is truly amazing!!! Digital has nothing on 78s. Now if you just apply some modern technology, the potential is infinite. Direct to disk 78s, that's the way to go. And if you want a straight line amplification, skip the electronics. A good cactus needle and megaphone will provide a much purer sound than any corrupting transistor setup.
So, yes, by all means get 78s.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6932

That is true; 78's offer sound that is unparalleled by the cost cutting measures of later production techniques. (The digital remasters of historic recordings still displays the wonders of direct to disc cutting techniques despite being hampered by the digital transfer medium.) I would raise two points however; first, the availability of freshly pressed 78's; and, secondly, the matter of incompatibility with current playback equipment. Unless you have a source for freshly pressed 78's the first issue should be obvious to even a casual observer. If, on the other hand, you are prepared to filibuster for the return of 78 R.P.M. as the recording industry's standard, then I can only wish you luck in this Ipod world. On the matter of incompatibility, the numerous roadblocks to excellent reproduction of 78 R.P.M. discs include the above mentioned stylus dimensions (cactus is not an absolute necessity for any but the earliest recordings; but the simple dimensions must be met for accurate tracking of the groove), the interchangeability of tonearm length amongst the various record producers and the EQ of the disc which varied from record company to record company. With most tables providing a 9" tonearm and pre amps supplying only the RIAA EQ curve and further lacking a mono mix circuit, there would appear to be more obstacles to overcome than suggested in the original request.

You must learn to walk before you can ride a velocipede.

In order to best get started in vinyl, the recommendation for 33 and 45 seem most appropriate. Now, I hope there is no lobby out there wishing to suggest a need for 16 R.P.M. also.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us