Paradigm Titan vs. PSB Alpha B

Anonymous

Wondering whether anyone has any direct experience with both the Paradigm Titans (v2) and PSB Alpha B's? I just bought a pair of Titans off of eBay to start a home system. I like them, but they don't seem quite as transparent as I had hoped.

I have seen Alpha's going for just a little more than I paid for my Titans. Wondering what people think of the PSBs? Any thoughts?

For reference, I'm using a Pioneer Elite CD player and a Technics turntable as sources. I currently have an older (early 90's) Sony two-channel receiver driving the whole thing but I'm looking for options to upgrade it.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 673
Anon, I have had first gen Alphas for a long long time. I used them as stereo fronts a while, and they worked very, very well.
In fact, I did the same a while back when my psb stratus silver fronts went under the knife, and enjoyed them still.

The'amazing' alpha, as labelled were the breakthrough mass market speaker from PSB, and were developed using the resources of the NRC in Canada.
Other Canadian products were developed there as well.

I have not heard the 'B's' yet, although I doubt Paul Barton would mess too much with this little beauty.

The psb's love power, and deliver right up to the limit, when you WILL know where the limit is.
Rolloff is quick, and at high levels, you will know exactly the upper limits lie.

If you are running stereo a lot, you may not require a sub for the pair, depending on your listening.

As for a receiver, this is one time I might try a Panasonic xr55 for a 30 day trial(return shipping).
H/K and psb are a good combo also(from my experience), and the H/K avr line drive the alphas(6ohm, dipping to around 4.2ohm, i think) very well.
The panasonic is inexpensive, and will run the speakers as well, I am pretty sure.

Further, NAD and PSB are sister companies, and that is a proven combo, but demand specific speaker placement to achieve full range from the speakers.

Good luck!

Anonymous

oh Nuck, now I know you really are an Edster confederate aren't you! Well be on notice, I for one will expose you to ecoustics and stop the both of you in your tracks, whatever it takes!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us