Sub and Receiver for Athena AS-B1's + AS- C1 center

Username: Noiduh

Post Number: 3
Thanks to Edster in my previuos thread and lots of reading on these boards, I have decided to choose 2 pair of the Athena AS-B1's and an AS-C1 center, over the Athena Point Five system.

Had considered a Dayton 12" sub, but it is no longer available. Opinions on the Dayton 10" with the above Athena's? Or is there a better sub option near the 125.00 price range?

I've found the "Advent ASW1200 12" Powered Subwoofer with Auto Turn On" listed at 100.00. Opinions on this sub with the Athena's?

Am considering the Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver, if one is available locally for auditoning, but would welcome other suggestions {warm, nuetral sounding?] in the under 400.00 range.

My only equipment at this time is the Pioneer DV-563A DVD-Audio/SACD player and an ancient Thechnics[?] SL-23 turntable.

Room size is 20 X 25 with cathedral ceiling. Systym use will be mostly music [rock], but would also like quality sound for home theater.

Asking alot for this price range! But like all I would like to get the best my $$$ can buy!!!

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3314
BJ,

Besides the Panny I would look into refurb Harman Kardon at Harman Audio on eBay (full 3 year direct HK warranty) and at refurb Marantz at accesories4less.como (1 year direct Marantz warranty). $400 should be able to get you a refurb Marantz 5500 or a refurb HK 335 or 435.

If you listen to a lot of music then the warmish Marantz would probably be a safer bet with those Athenas which are often described as a little bright...some people though do find that they prefer a bit of brightness, so if I were you I'd go browse some local shops and ask them to show you "bright" vs. "warm" setups and see if you have any strong preference for either.

just trying
Unregistered guest
The Dayton 10'' should be fine and the Velodyne vx-10 is another good low priced sub. Those Athena's are very good speakers, you'll be surprised how big they sound. I like rock too and the B1's really shine with it. Good purchase.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 310
Stay FAR AWAY from Yamaha with those Athenas. I dumped mine and replaced it with the refurb Marantz SR4320 Edster speaks of ($269.99). Perfect match for my AS-F1s. NAD is fine with Athenas too. You want warm amplification.

Edster...The Rotel RX-1052 is a better match with the Energy C-3s. Seems to me that the Rotel is "neutral" as are the C-3s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3325
> Edster...The Rotel RX-1052 is a better match with the Energy C-3s. Seems to me that the Rotel is "neutral" as are the C-3s.

???

Rick, you've lost me. I never said anything about the Energy C-3s.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 311
Just thought I'd give you an off to the side personal observation concerning my C-3's & the Rotel. I was switching equipment around, trying different combinations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3330
oh, ok...I have never heard the Energy speakers, but have only heard good things about them. Same parent company as the Athenas if I'm not mistaken. Have you ever ABed the Energys against the Athenas? I'm curious about what you'd think.

If the Rotel is "neutral" then that probably explains why that guy on the AVS forum said that the Panny sounded identical to his $2500 Rotel 1095...of course he's got a heavily treated room too, which no doubt helps, on top of $12K B&W speakers! : )

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 312
Oh Yea...Done a lot of A&B with the AS-F1s and C-3s. The C-3s are better overall. Very natural and easy to listen to but the very bottom is not there unless you turn them way up. Even then it's not with the force that connects with the floor. It's not a sensation of "SOLID" bass. I need a sub. Maybe Tim's Alegria TOM.

The AS-F1s on the other hand sound a bit nasal and sibilant but overall, sound rich, full and have good bass slam.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3336
well I wouldn't expect a bookshelf to provide that kind of solid bass, though Tim's Lings came pretty close at moderate volumes.

The Energy site claims "usable bass response to 40Hz" which if true is pretty impressive for an 18lb. bookshelf.

Would love to hear Tim's sub too, but am not willing to pay return shipping for that thing, lol.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 313
I went to a local shop to listen to some subs. I think I like the forward firing as opposed to the downward firing. Tim's sub is front firing and sealed. Maybe it would be more musical.

By the way, while I was there I listened to some NHT SB3s. WOW! Very nice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3346
> I think I like the forward firing as opposed to the downward firing. Tim's sub is front firing and sealed. Maybe it would be more musical.

I would take your room details into careful consideration there. In my experience, front firing given my 6000 cubic foot room and placement limitations means that I have to turn a front firing sub (especially a sealed one) to ricochet off the rear wall in order to get better SPL.

In a smaller room, and if the front firing sub has an especially muscular amp and big driver, this probably would not be an issue.

btw how much were the SB3s going for?

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 314
Sorry Ed, I didn't ask the price of the NHTs but they list for $600pr.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3349
hmm, same price as Tim's Emma which I'm on the tour audition list for. Can't wait!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us