NAD C541vs Cambridge Audio 640C V2

Username: Sbullet

Post Number: 1
OK here it is again. NAD C541 vs Cambridge Audio 640C V2? Which is the one you guys think would be the best combination when used with their respective Amps 640A and NAD C352CT. I had my heart set on getting the Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers. The Cambridge Audio looks a nicer set but not actually had a chance to get a feel for the build quality. I listen to rock, indie , Joe Satriani (Guitarist!! and most other things really. I'm just wondering whether Richer Sounds are advcertising the CA so it gets more reviews. The price of the two systems is in the same ball park so I am not fussed about that. I have been reading some fantastic reviews for the CA and a few for the NAD. It is close but there must be a winner???? Any takers?????

Cheers

Username: Sbullet

Post Number: 2
Sorry I meant the NAD C542 not 541!!!!!! Carry on..

Daniel34
Unregistered guest
I don't think there is a clear CDP winner here, I auditioned both, and it was really too close to call (both hooked up to NAD c352). I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

No matter what CDP you chose, personally I would go with NAD amp. And that's not just because I own one ;-)
It seems to be pretty safe bet when it comes to budget integrated amps.

It'll all come down to what's better match with your new Wharfedales. Make sure you audition the whole package together if possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Angello

Post Number: 30
Please daniel could you tell us opinion of c352? I will going to audition it in near furture.

Daniel34
Unregistered guest
angello,

Definitely worth auditioning at least.

To me (and I know I'm repeating what's been said many times already) warm and detailed sound of c352 was "it". Plenty of power for most speakers/home systems, with very reasonable price, I couldn't ask for more.
Delivers just as well on low volume listening, which impressed me as well.
As always with hi-fi components, I'm sure there's better amps. out there, but you'd have to spend much more money than c352 in my opinion.

All this said, it all comes down to personal taste, perhaps it might help you to know that I chose c352 over Cambridge Audio 640A, Arcam A65 and Rega Brio. All of these are good amps IMO, all getting great reviews, and I probably wouldn't regret buying any of them.

Have fun auditioning ;-)

Anonymous

so the improvement of 640C V2 over the old one is not that much?

Stanley Ang
Unregistered guest
I just came back home with a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C ver.1. I went to the local shop in Singapore and auditioned the 640C, 640C V2 and NAD C542. They were all hooked up to the NAD C350 which is what I have at home, but they didn't have a pair of Monitor Audio floor standers so they hooked it up to a floor standing ELAC instead.

I think it was hard to tell the difference between the 640C and NAD C542, but I was pretty surprised with the 640C V2 - it sounded like it lacked something compared to the 640C V1 - a passer by said it lacked sound stage. I bought the 640C as it was going on sale for SGD550 while the NAD 542 was going for about SGD640 although I went in ready to buy the 640C V2 for SGD750.

AndrewWG
Unregistered guest
I have the Cambridge Audio 640A and 640C and like it better than the NAD I had. The quality of sound with the right cables is excellent. I use Synergistic Phase I cables which gave me sound qaulity beyond that of a $20,000 system. I literly feel like I am in person with the musician and not just listening to a CD. The Cambridge has better nutrality than NAD and the 640C v2 CD player has dual D/A Wolfson chips meaning it will have even clearer sound quality and has beat CD Players costing $1000+ in listening test.

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 176
Just by employing wolfson chips does not itself make a worldbeater...beware the persuasive test of the ad copywriter....if the 640 is putting you in touch with the musician, then wait till you hear a well set up vinyl system :-)

Personally, I acquired the 640 twins about 18 months ago, after years of owning a NAD amp(hence name ca_convert)and found it to be too light). Mis-tracking CD's didnt help matters so I swapped it for the 542/352 combination.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us