What are the symptoms of damaged speakers?

Username: Newfie

Post Number: 9
What are the symptoms of damaged speakers? What should I be listening for?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 485
distortion specially on low volumes and musical passages. It would seem like the amp is clipping and that there is too much bass being fed to the speakers. Sound seems to crackle, like paper being crumpled when playing music. The high frequency transducers do not make any sound at all, so do not look for any hissing. If you have a tester, with an ohmeter check the resistance on the speakers. One of 2 things to look for, the resistance is very high (more than 8 ohms if your speaker is rated at 8 ohms) could mean that the voice coils have separated, and the other one is if there is no resistance at all, tester is reading at 0 ohms, voice coils have melted, due to over heating and clipping.

Post Number: 10
Thanks Berny. I'm Reading about 5.5 Ohms on the resistance check fronts and rears. Center is @ 3.5. Any suggestions?

I'm hearing resonance and a slight crackle @ all audible volumes. Do you think an input being selected with the volume cranked could have caused this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
Are you using a NAD T753? Your comment about the input change with volume cranked sounds familiar with some NAD units. Is there noise when you change input sources, if it does, more than likely it is not your speakers that is th eproblem. It could be the receiver, but to be sure, try connecting the speakers to another receiver, if you have one and check for these symptoms. These should rule out the speakers being the problem. The most common way to damage speakers is by using an underpowered amp and the clipping that results in the overloading of the speaker voice coils and the first to go are almost always the tweeters. I really don't think your speakers are damaged.

The NAD has had some issues with some of our members on this board, so go check and look around specifically for popping and hissing noises (NAD topics)when switching to different sources.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/17211.html
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/16388.html
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/15873.html

i believe you've had concerns about this issues as well. Don't worry, NAD has an excellent track record in backing up their products.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Berny...Thank you once again. Took a pair of my B&Ws to the dealer to test on another reciever.
It turns out that the problem does lay with my NAD T753. What a relief!

I'll be returning the Nad to the dealer for a refund. This is my fifth reciever. Three T752s
and two T753s. I'm disappointed with the QC @ NAD. This is unfortunate but, in my best interests.

I'm Looking into Cambridge Audio as a replacement.

Thanks again for volunteering your knowledge and advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
you're welcome. Sorry to hear about the NAD, that is too bad, looks like they lost another patron.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 31
Excellent diagnosis Berny!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us