Stereo Receiver

Rick Jones
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a stereo receiver with about 75 watts per channel with a sub pre-out. it should be about 200$.

please help. thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3208
For $30 more you can get the Panasonic sa-xr55, an excellent 7.1 receiver that will allow you to bi-amp your speakers in 2.1 and use 6 out of its 8 amps in doing so, with electronic phase correction and high/low frequency balancing.

If your speakers are not bi-ampable it will automatically use "dual-amp" mode which means it'll use 2 amps to power each of your 2 speaker.

It has a sub pre-out and you can control the sub level with the remote.

Its all-digital technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more. I was shocked to discover that it effortlessly outperformed AND outpowered my beloved NAD separates which would cost about 6 times as much brand new! Not to mention my Marantz 5400 that's about triple its (the Panny's) cost.

I bought it for 2-channel music but found that it does HT extremely well, due to the unbelievable clarity and ample power.

Read up on what all the buzz is about, and AB it at home against any analog receiver! A couple of threads about this receiver on different forums:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

Main caveat here is that you don't want to pair it with bright speakers, neutral or warm speakers though will sound amazing.

Don't listen to the PEC/UOC naysayers, listen with your own ears and decide for yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 184
As strongly as Edster recommends the Panny I will recommend anything BUT the Panny. I've listened. It's just not that good.

Don't listen to the walking Panasonic commercial. Listen with your own ears and decide for yourself.

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 185
And FYI your best bet is probably the HK 3380 at 2x80w. You should be able to get a refurbed one (with full HK warranty) very reasonably from HK's Ebay store. There is a similarly priced unit from Marantz, but I don't think it has a Subwoofer output.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2373
I strongly agree with Ziggy. The HK and Marantz sound very good and should meet your needs. But by all means listen for yourself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3213
> Don't listen to the walking Panasonic commercial. Listen with your own ears and decide for yourself.

Exactly...that's what I said, AB the Panny against any analog receiver, especially the under $1000 ones and let YOUR ears decide.

Somehow Ziggy just doesn't read this part of my post very well, LOL.

The HK is fine, if you're willing to live with the built-in hiss/hum at moderate and low volumes, and the higher risk of QC problems that HK receivers seem to have. But certainly better than any Onkyo stereo receiver.

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 186
Hmm... have you ever heard (or better yet even seen) an HK 3380? For music it's significantly better than the HK 235 that I own. It does what it does, and it does it very well.

As for the built-in hum/hiss from HK... mine doesn't have it, neither does my friend's (the one who returned the Panny, remember him?). Sure, I did have a ground loop hum, but a $7 isolator from Parts Express cleared that up real quick.

The Panny is fine for movies, but it's terrible for music. But I guess it all sounds the same, Edster, when your head is stuck so far up there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3215
> The Panny is fine for movies, but it's terrible for music. But I guess it all sounds the same, Edster, when your head is stuck so far up there.

ah yes, you Pannyphobes are a pretty sad lot when you constantly have to resort to personal insults instead of accepting the simple fact that many people who AB the Panny will indeed find it equal or better.

dear oh dear, why do you feel so threatened?

that little 'ole Panny ain't gonna up and bite you...LOL!!!

just trying
Unregistered guest
My H/K doesn't hiss or hum but it's a bit harsh on the right channel. My old $120 kenwood stereo receiver is dead quiet with no harshness at all. So, you should listen yourself for little things like this.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2374
Pannyphobe is meant as a compliment and not an insult I take it. What did I tell you about those glass houses Eddie.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 301
The Marantz SR4320 @ 80Wpc does not have a subwoofer output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3217
> Pannyphobe is meant as a compliment and not an insult I take it. What did I tell you about those glass houses Eddie.

LOL my house is made of friggin' TITANIUM, dear master Art! That is, I have *never* insulted someone ONLY because they tried the Panny and disliked it.

That type of behavior is infantile, frankly.

btw, it came to me that my comments about the Yammie 2500 to Paul were simply tit-for-tat since he was constantly ragging on NAD, and even a certain Art Kyle often joined in...heh!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2380
You are certainly an expert in the infantile.

If you'll remember I started a thread dedicated to the fact that I had been wrong about the Yamaha. I don't think you've ever been wrong about anything to hear it from you.

It is because of the experience with the Yamaha that I made sure to give the Panasonic a thorough though horrifying listen. I learn from mistakes you ought to try it.

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 187
Edster, it's not because you like the Panny that I feel the need to keep ragging on you, it's that every thread on this board has become a commercial for it, and almost entirely because of you. It's great that you like you stuff, and whether I, or Art, or anyone else likes it really SHOULD be irrelevant. It's even Ok to give recommendations. But to continually insist that the Panny is the perfect solution for everyone's needs is comical at best, and pathetic at worst. No one on this board, except the (thankfully) departed Paul and Mauimusicman, gives the same rote (and completely biased, and IMHO dead wrong) answer to every single question. You've said in at least 2 different threads that "almost half" the people who have compared the Panny to the HK 2005 liked the Panny better. That tells me that MORE than half, aka the "majority," liked the HK more, and that further tells me that it's not even the best product in the very small subset of 'digital receivers.' And if I can save even ONE person from wasting their time on the Panny, then I've done my job.

Look, if the main reason someone wants a receiver is for watching movies, and budget is an issue, the Panny is a perfect choice, MAYBE even the best choice. And it might not even matter about the budget part of that. But it's TERRIBLE for music. That's not a statement of fear, but a statement of fact. There are now at least 3 of us on here (myself, Art, and Stu) that have done exactly what you've said and actually listened to the Panny, and we're all in agreement about its music performance. You seem to be the only one on here who thinks it's any good. Shouldn't that tell you something?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3222
> Look, if the main reason someone wants a receiver is for watching movies, and budget is an issue, the Panny is a perfect choice, MAYBE even the best choice. And it might not even matter about the budget part of that. But it's TERRIBLE for music. That's not a statement of fear, but a statement of fact.

LOL Ziggy, you should really start your own religion, you speak in hyperventilating dogmas.

Like I said, all I do is tell people to read up on it and go listen to it. I do so repeatedly only because an endless stream of newbies come to this forum asking for advice, so if it takes me 20 seconds to copy and paste my Panny infomercial at the risk of upsetting AUDIO DOGMATISTS like you, hell---it's a no brainer.

Getting the word out is of far greater relevance. Sorry to burst your little bubble.

BTW, if you want to play the numbers game, for the 3 people you've named who've listened to the Panny and disliked it, there have been at least 3 (if not more) who have listened/bought it and liked it. Shall I name names, or are you as poor a reader as you consistently seem?

And of course that's not even counting the droves of happy Panny owners on AVS and other forums.

So much for your delusionary "Majority of Three."

LOL!!!

Amusing that someone who loves big massive analog receivers has such a petty little mind...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3226
> You've said in at least 2 different threads that "almost half" the people who have compared the Panny to the HK 2005 liked the Panny better. That tells me that MORE than half, aka the "majority," liked the HK more,

btw, has it never occurred to you that there was also a 3rd group, who found the two receivers to sound pretty much the same?

Whew, it must be hard to go through life with such a narrow little mind.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 150
Im with Edster on this one guys, My panny sounds identical to my elite on my JBLs once i tweaked it alittle bit.

Everyone that I have had listen to it on different sources cant believe the clarity they heard. You guys seem to be the crowd that swears to hear a difference between .5db and 1.0db on a receiver.

Im sure shops like tweeter love it when you guys walk it, all the hyper-fake catch lines you've already sold yourselves on, the salesman only needs to check you out at the register!

Ya for capitalism.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2381
Shops like Tweeter don't see the whites of my eyes. I do my best to stick with locally owned audio shops where I can build long term relationships and where I get the best service.

The retailers where I shop don't have or even know most of the "hyper-fake" catch lines you're speaking of. I agree with Ziggy's assessment of the situation.

"Whew, it must be hard to go through life with such a narrow little mind."

Weren't you saying something about hurling insults in another thread.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 302
It's interesting how you guys feed on each other.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3227
> Weren't you saying something about hurling insults in another thread.

LOL I have no problem trading blows once that line has been crossed...I don't go looking for it, but to be honest I still quite enjoy it. No turning the other cheek here.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2383
That's how dialogue works.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3228
> It's interesting how you guys feed on each other.

I don't feed off the likes of Ziggy.

I just give newbies my opinions and recs, and when someone like him butts in with his hysterical insults, I'm obliged to swat him away as one would an annoying little mosquito.

One does not off a mosquito feed, LOL...

Edster=salesman
Unregistered guest
vintage all the way baby!

Edster=salesman
Unregistered guest
vintage all the way baby!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4724
Rick Jones,
Have you made a decison? What did your research entail?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us