Speaker advice please!

Username: Drnovocalcords

Post Number: 1
I have just bought a NAD C372 amp to go with a NAD Cd player. I am looking for a pair of speakers to go with this set-up. Probably floor-standers. Im looking at B&W DM 603's or 604's or maybe KEF Q5's. The thing is I listen to mainly rock, metal and punk. I want a good bit of bass and a lot of energy. I realise I may not have the best amp for this (I gather it is more catered to classical or jazz and isn't that bassy) but am hoping I can compensate in the speaker department. Any advice? Obviously I will be trying to do listening tests before buying but would be great to get some help anyway and any suggestions of similarly-priced alternatives.
Thanks in advance. Gaz

Unregistered guest
Whoever told you the NAD amp isn't suited for a particular kind of music.....STOP LISTENING TO THAT PERSON! Common sense will go a long way in the audio world. The job of the amplifier is simple: amplify the signal it's being sent from the source. Don't matter if the source is rap, classical, rock, jazz or test tones. Some types of music are more demanding, but rock, metal and punk generally are not. I think most people confuse good bass with distorted bass. I find thats true even with many audiophiles. The "Q" of the speaker will have more to do with your perception of how much bass is present than the NAD amp ever could. Do yourself a favor. Listen to some really expensive speakers before buying anything. Even if they are out of your price range, you'll have a better comparison for your lower cost speakers. In other words, you'll know how they should sound. Even more important, you'll know how they SHOULDN'T sound. Good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 40
Before you spend money on British boxes, look and listen to Paradigm and PSB. Also be sure and knock on the cabinets of the KEF Q series with your knuckles. Those are the cheapest KEF cabinets I've ever seen KEF produce. Cheap KEF drivers in cheap KEF boxes are how the salesperson described them to me and I agree. B&W is using very desirable KEVLAR driver material in their speakers and I like the sound, it is very free from most distortion modes. However B&W tend to be 'spendy'. Be sure and look at other comparable models from PSB, Athena, Infinity has some new towers, Paradigms are very fine. If you have an affinity for Brit speakers, take note that the Wharfedale Evolution line has been the darling of British magazine reviews these days, at a better price than KEF or BW.

Username: Feot

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 5
Go listen to the NHT ST4 speakers, great bass response, i have both Polk RT800i and the ST4 and they blow the Polk away. Let me know if you want to buy some.

Unregistered guest
Many people agree that Green Mountain Audio manufactures some of the best, if not THE best speakers in the world. I can vouch for the designer, Roy Johnson. He holds a Masters in physics and makes incredible speakers starting at under $900.00 U.S./pair. And talk about solid cabinets....these are cast MARBLE! Hurt your hand if ya knock on these. I personally have heard nothing at even 3x their price that comes close. I'm not alone. Many others agree. Check out this review on an older model. http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/frank05.htm
The new version of this speaker is cheaper and better in every way. Here's the company web site.
http://greenmountainaudio.com/

swampcat
Unregistered guest
listen to rock and metal forget those speakers KLIPSCH are for you. they are incredibly effient, will require little power for loud accurate sound. look at the floor standing models . cant go wrong give a listen and you'll be a Klipsch fan forever!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 396
Klipsch are fine if driven with a very warm amp otherwise are very bright and fatiguing.H/K, Elite, Marantz and NAD are best combinations for Klipsch. Very efficeint speakers but very bright.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us