Energy C3 vs. Ascend 170

Les
Unregistered guest
Love the sound of the Ascend 170's but saw the Energy's on sale somewhere the other day. How do they compare? Any thoughts on Energy speakers in general?

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=25

Energy Fan
Unregistered guest
Energy C3s are great speakers at their normal price, and on sale they're even better. They're neutral, with great imaging and excellent bass response from a small bookshelf speaker. The mids and highs may not be quite as startling as the Ascends, but they're a great all-around performer. And they look a helluva lot better.

Energy Fan Too
Unregistered guest
I actually think that the mids and highs of the Energy's are better.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 295
I purchased a new in the box Energy C-3 pair for $229 on Ebay. I guess they're being dumped because they are being replaced by the new "C Series". They sound great with nice crisp detail and smooth highs but they are not that efficient. I have some older Polk RT-3s with 5" woofers that play louder (not better). I hooked them up A & B and compared them just a couple of hours ago. The Polks have no bass compared with the C-3s but the C-3s ARE a bit bass shy themselves. I'm looking for a subwoofer...Maybe an HSU STF-2.

Also did an A-B comparison with Athena AS-F1s. While the Athenas are not perfect being a bit unbalanced, they do produce the presentation of fullness and richness that the Energy C-3s can't match just because of they're size. And, when you compare the prices, the Athenas win hands down. Will I get an overall better sounding system with the C-3s & a the $400 subwoofer? I think so....Oh, forgot to mention speaker stands...Lets just say $120 for a pair...

$229 Speakers
$400 Sub
$120 stands
----
$729

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2348
I can't really speak to the Ascends which I plan to rectify in the near future but the Energy C series speakers represent a pretty good buy. They have an exceptionally well balanced sound for a budget speaker. I recommend an audition and if they don't meet your expectations the Ascends will still be there.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 296
With a bass limit of 63Hz chances are you'll be looking for a sub with the Ascends too.

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 83
The Ascend 170SE is supposed to be flat into the 50s.

Athena and Energy are made by the same company. Athena is API's made in Asia budget line below the Energy line.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3174
ART!!!

> I can't really speak to the Ascends which I plan to rectify in the near future

OMG, are you finally going to try out a pair?

lawdy, what's the world coming to, Art Kyle orders Internet speakers, and cheap ones to boot! ; )

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 183
I haven't heard the Ascends to compare, but I will also speak very highly of the Energy C3s. I use them as rears in a HT system, but they are extremely competent as a main speaker in a smaller system. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair for that purpose.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 297
Mirage, Energy and Athena are made by the Canadian company, Audio Products International.

According to the back of my black Energy C-3s, they are made in China too, probably at the same factory. The cabinetry, is identical to the Athenas. Of course they slap a different front baffle and speakers on them. Both have superb finsh and detail in construction.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2360
Edster, I met someone at training this week who has a pair of the 170's so either I will try his or buy a pair for demo. I won't be doing it this week but sometime soon. He's not as enthused about them as you are but he likes them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3185
UH-OH.

(bracing for another Art audio onslaught...lol)

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 298
Ed...What subwoofer are you using?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3194
...a horrible little JBL e150.

Wanna buy it? lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2368
You only have to worry if they suck! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 553
Art, maybe they wont...
My buddy dropped by with a pair, and I AB'd them with my 12 yr old Alphas.
I preferred the psb's cause I own them, and had more bass, but the 170's had everything else.

Hmmm...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2370
I'm going into it with an open mind. I have no bias for or against them. Remember I'm still looking for speakers for my second system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us